“Perfect”

Ranked #2 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Newark, Delaware
“Perfect”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This place is just outstanding. They really understand that it's about the whole experience. They really focus on getting all the small details right. The staff is fantastic. We felt very welcomed. We came as a group during the ski season, but I can't wait to come back for the fall foliage.

Room Tip: Every room is different. Make sure you call to understand the different options you have.
1 Thank timkim83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I'll be honest, I had my reservations staying here this past weekend. Looking at their website, I thought the rooms looked tacky and thought it would be musty and have a certain "smell" to it. Man, was I wrong.

The website surely doesn't do this place justice. Nutmeg Inn was very clean, beautifully decorated, and the breakfast was phenomenal. You can't go wrong with any three of the breakfast options: frittata, waffles or french toast (fortunate to try all three!) and had my fair amount of toast because of their amazing homemade blackberry jam (my mouth is salivating just thinking about it). I had the pleasure to speak to most of the staff, who were very kind and accommodating. Every day we came back from snowboarding, there was a made bed and the fireplace setup to use with the light of a match. I stayed in room 6B which had a double jacquzzi and a California King size bed which was very comfortable. The only criticism I have is that the water can drastically turn cold when showering if other rooms are using the bathroom. However, that can be said with any hotel or B&B.

Overall, I would happily recommend this place to friends, family, and couples. I look forward to coming back in the fall!

1 Thank Charlie K
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My group of friends and I were placed at this charming B&B after there were unexpected problems with our lodging in Vermont. Please don't let the photos on their website fool you; they don't do this place justice! From the pictures I thought this place would be a bit cheesy/musty but the second I saw it in person, I fell in love. The owners do an amazing job with personalizing the interior decor and make each and every one of the rooms different in their own unique way. My bf and I stayed in room 6B which came with a King sized bed, personal fireplace, and 2-person jacuzzi in the bathroom. Everything was comfortable and CLEAN, which is the most important thing to me when choosing a place to stay. The welcoming staff, Deb and Wendy, were both so helpful and gracious. The included breakfast was also delicious! It is limited in that you can choose only between 3 items (frittata, waffles, or french toast) but the chef does his job very well. The homemade berry jam with toast was also finger-lickin good- evidence shown by the numerous number of extra orders my group got of them. There is so much charm to this B&B and I can't wait to come back for my next visit!

1 Thank Sarah P
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place is adorable and cozy. We stayed in room 11 which was the suite with two bedrooms and one sitting area. I loved that there was a fireplace in the bedroom and the skylights in the sitting area were awesome. Breakfast was included and it was very delicious - you can choose between a frittata, waffles, or french toast and they have homemade jam!!! Endless coffee and tea which was helpful since I was getting over a cold. All of the staff and the owner were super super nice and accomodating, would definitely come stay here again!

1 Thank Stephanie C
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was looking for a nice winter weekend away. And I found it with Nutmeg Inn. The selling point for me was a wood burning fireplace. My two friends and I stayed in room 11. It was a two bedroom suite with a bathroom and living room. The first night a staffer lit the fireplace, the second night I did it myself as the kindling and logs were already in place.
There was wonderful heat at the Inn. There was also a fireplace in the main living room/bar area.
My friends and I bought a bottle of wine at the bar and took it up to our room.
There was interesting art all through the house including the most interesting chinese children rockers in the dining room. There were also some nice views throught the windows of the snowy landscape..
The breakfast was very delicious, although it was a bit limited in choices. Frittatas, French toast and waffles, all with sausage or bacon, orange juice and coffee- delicious coffee I might add.
But of course we know that the staff makes the vacation and every one of the staff (and owner) were lovely.They also sell maple syrup in case you need a gift. I definitely would come back.

Room Tip: Room 11 is a suite, with two bedrooms-wonderful beds, a bathroom and a living room with a wood burni...
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed here for one night and wish it could have been longer! We first got a tour of the 18th century house before being escorted to cozy Room 7, which is perfect for two people. Other rooms are bigger with beautiful fireplaces. The lounge is cozy with a toasty fireplace and wine is $2.99. Breakfast was delicious and is included. Don't bother with overpriced mountain lodging; the nutmeg is 10minutes from mount snow and one minute from Wilmington and well worth the short drive.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Mizzemm
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Doug and Gio are incredibly warm, engaging inn owners. Their love of old houses coupled with years of experience in the business make this little inn a true success! The inn is conveniently located walking distance to Wilmington and all its shops and restaurants (just need to walk up on the lawns around the first blind curve). It's also a great home base if you're hitting Mt Snow during the day.

The inn itself is an interesting mix of Gio's very modern paintings, old Mexican ceramics and a frilly, country style décor. It seems to work though, and the building itself is beautifully restored with low beamed ceilings and a big fireplace. I was the only one staying at the inn, but I could imagine this common room would be a great place to mingle and hang out. My room was small but comfortable with a wood burning fireplace. The tv in the room was tiny but worked well. Breakfast was excellent, and Doug and Gio were wonderful company while I ate.

The only reason I'm giving 4 starts and not 5, is that the woman at the front desk made a big deal of my traveling as a single woman. Having recently gone through a break-up, her comments seemed very unprofessional. Other than that, my stay was wonderful and I hope to be back again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank efvet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
The Wilmington Inn
Grand Summit Resort Hotel
West Dover Inn
West Dover Inn
#5 of 12 in Dover

Been to The Nutmeg? Share your experiences!