“Avoid this place!” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Upstate New York
“Avoid this place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

Wow. I've read some of the positive reviews here and honestly can't believe we've visited the same place! Last year, on my birthday, my husband and I booked a room at the Red Shutter Inn. Hannah asked that we call when we were approaching the inn, so we did so. Then she told us she'd be down the block at a friend's house when we arrived and to call again when we were parked. After barely managing to reach the front door over a sheet of ice (no attention was paid to shoveling the parking lot or entryway to make it safe and accessible--not a good sign), we waited outside the front door until she arrived to unlock it. When we were shown to our room, we were shocked at its condition--ancient, stained carpet, shabby furnishings (and I don't mean "shabby sheik," just shabby), and very few amenities, including heat! Yup, you heard me: no heat. In March. When we complained about the room temperature (by phone, since were promptly left by Hannah in the Inn alone), we were told the heat was on a timer set to come on at 5 p.m.--that is, two hours later. My husband and I climbed into the bed to get warm and found ourselves on one of the most tired mattresses we've ever had the misfortune to lay on and under a single, thin, polyester quilt. We attempted to read but were distracted by the bed stand, which had a broken door jammed shut on a wadded up tissue. I could list other issues, but won't. Suffice it to say that it didn't take us long to realize that our experience wasn't going to improve unless we made a move. When we indicated our intent to leave, some 20 minutes after arriving, Hannah tried to deduct a significant fee, despite the fact that the inn was virtually empty (in other words, she would be able to let the room if another hapless traveler came her way). After much argument, she finally refunded us the full room rate. The experience we had at the Red Shutter would have ranked among one of my worst except that we were nearly in a state of euphoria driving away--it felt like we were making a getaway! Moreover, we were fortunate to find accommodations in nearby Bennington at one of the most amazing places I've ever stayed and for EXACTLY the same money, which just underscores what an outrage the room rate is at the Red Shutter Inn. As far as I'm concerned, this place is the pits and the innkeepers are in the wrong line of work!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelover012
shutterbugs, Owner at The Wilmington Inn, responded to this review, January 28, 2010
My wife, Rachel, and I took over ownership in October 2009. Since then we have fully renovated the lobby, restaurant, and rooms! We have had overwhelmingly positive feedback since we took over and while we appreciate every comment including those that pre-dated our ownership we want everyone to know that we have read those early reviews and made changes here to ameliorate many of your complaints!!

Come and give us a try. We'll make you feel like a part of our family and promise you a great stay no matter what the weather!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

I normally do not leave reviews but I felt I would share my wonderful experience at the Red Shutter Inn in Wilmington, VT. My partner and I spent 3 nights in December at the Red Shutter Inn. The inn is magnificent and we have never received such incredible service before. The staff is very approachable and helpful. We also just loved the peace and tranquility of the Inn.
The dining experience and morning breakfast were out of this world and the oportunity to visit with other guests was a pleasure.
Overall I would say this is probably the one of the nicest places we have stayed at in the Vermont area!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

Spent a quiet and very relaxing weekend at the Red Shutter. Room was attractively decorated and Inn is located in a spot convenient to multiple "tourist-y" places. Even booking the reservations was easy with the courtesy extended by Hannah who was able to answer all our questions about where to go and what to see! We had breakfast at the Inn on Sunday morning and it was outstanding. This is a place we will bookmark and be sure to visit again and again!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

Wonderful, cozy place to stay! The innkeepers, Hannah & Amie, are lovely people who will cater to your every need during your stay. My fiance and I stayed there for a few days as a romantic getaway for my birthday weekend, and I highly recommend it. The room we stayed in had two rooms - a cozy living room with a fireplace and a separate bedroom. The bathroom was huge and had a large whirlpool tub that was simply amazing to relax in. They also offer massages as well, which is something one must take advantage of! The food is fantastic, and I greatly recommend eating dinner at the Inn as well. Overall, its a great place to stay, with fabulous food at a wonderful price and wonderful innkeepers! The Red Shutter Inn is definitely a 'must stop' in Wilmington whether it be for an overnight stay, or a delicious dinner.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2007

Travelling to Maine we decided to stay over in Vermont for the nite. Booked the Red Shutter Inn on a recommendation.
Two sisters from England are the owner operators Besides being one of the most quaint bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in, dinner in their dining room was a memorable event.
We were there on Italian nite(Thurs). Being a restaurant owner myself, I am somewhat of a food critic One of the most memorable and reasonbly priced meals I have experienced.
We highly recommend the Red Shutter Inn if you are in the Wilmington Vermont area.

• Liked — N ice clean room, everything you need for a bed and brakfast.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank foodcriticToronto
BATH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

We stopped at the Red Shutter Inn for 2 nights in April. Our room ,the Wilmington, was tired (pretty scruffy carpet) and the housekeeping after we returned from a day out non existant (we had to make our own bed). The new owner seems keen but at dinner took a very long time to bring us a drink. Our meal was reasonably good and the breakfasts were excellent. For the price charged this Inn is seriously over-priced and the new owners do need to sharpen up their act and spruce the place up. Until they do then look somewhere else to stay in this pretty area.

4 Thank Typhoons
NewEngland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

We stayed at the Red Shutter Inn one weekend and would not return there again. The bed was very uncomfortable we found some very minor problems with the room. I communicated with them my thoughts...and never heard a response from them. I would not reccomend staying there for the prices that they charge.

4 Thank Traveler4423
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Snow Lake Lodge
#1 of 13 in Dover
Gray Ghost Inn
Gray Ghost Inn
#2 of 13 in Dover

Been to The Wilmington Inn? Share your experiences!