“Best New England Getaway!”

The White House Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 26, 2008

My husband and I wanted to add a "romantic" couple of days to a business trip. We looked at another more expensive Inn close by, which we had stayed in 2-3 yeqars ago, instead we decided to try "The Whitehouse Inn ". I can't tell you how happy we were to have made that decision! We were delighted by the lovely staff, the Owner Stan(apparently new), the rehabed rooms and the really wonderful food. Most Inns have one dining room and that's where you're stuck, if there aren't other nice restaurants in the area. We dined in the truly romantic dining room by the the fireplace, had breakfast in an other room and had most of our light meals (and I might add - lots of fun) drinks and snacks at their bar called "Baxters" which has wonderfully cozy atmosphere and a rather large selection of spirits and fine wines. Their special drink is a "Sophie", which is named after the Owner's dog (so is "Baxter's"). We will now be adding on a few days at the Inn, whenever we are on the east coast. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lbinder

Reviewed November 22, 2008

I chose the White House from pictures on their website, and was a little anxious when I arrived. You never really know how well reality will match professional pictures. Whatever concerns I had faded instantly when I saw this property. Stunning. Probably about the most impossibly romantic place I've ever seen. I'm sure you're looking at pictures of it, so I don't need to describe it. Let me just mention one thing: scale. You just can't get a sense of this place's massive presence from the pictures. If you're looking for a Bed and Breakfast, this is the wrong place. Even though it used to be a private residence, it really feels more like a hotel from a bygone era. Very spacious, genteel and gracious. This is the kind of place that soaks peace and rest into weary bones. It absolutely melted my heart.

I have good news about Wilmington, and I have bad news: the bad news is that there's not much to do. The good news is there's not much to do, except relax and soak up this inn. Given my state of mind and body when I arrived, it was perfect for me.

The staff was efficient, pleasant and competent. They were there when I needed them, and invisible when I didn't. My room was well-appointed and spotless. [Quick aside: these rooms all have their own bathrooms, unlike a typical B&B.]

Baxter's Bar was easily my favorite space in the whole inn. The bar itself is gorgeous mahogany, and the furnishings are incredibly comfy overstuffed leather. (Think Ralph Lauren takes a country holiday) I doubt there's any drink that Joey the bartender couldn't make, and they have a lovely assortment of scotch, vodka, whiskey and just about anything else you could ask for. Their wine list is ridiculous. You would never expect a country inn to have much to choose from, but their wine list is extensive. When I couldn't stop expressing my amazement, Joey took me into the bowels of this old inn to see their wine cellar. It was easily 500 square feet stuffed floor to ceiling with wine, representing the best of France, California, Italy, Australia and Chile.

I ate in their restaurant three of the four nights I was there. Again, I was shocked to find this level of cusine available in such a country backwater. I can highly recommend the Chicken Barbara (very lemony and fresh, and beautiful on the plate) and the Chicken Schnitzel. I NEVER get scallops in restaurants I don't know well, because it's rare for a casual cook to get them right. They're either overcooked and ruined, or they're mushy and bland. After my experience the first two nights, my confidence was buoyed, so I mustered up my courage and gave them a shot. Chef Jeff nailed it. Perfect slightly crunchy crust on the outside, and sweet, tender-but-firm interior. Outstanding. I discovered that if you take a later seating, it's likely that Chef will come out and talk to you about your meal, and what you should order the next evening. It sounded to me like all my waiters had tried everything on the menu, but I just found it much more enlightening to get the skinny straight from the chef.

Their desserts are all made by their sous chef on the premises. I tried the pear spice cake (very good), the carrot cake, and the almond chocolate layer cake (my favorite). And yes, I am very well fed. They also make cheesecake, which I didn't try.

Stan, the owner, understands hospitality well. He's a recent tansplant from California, where he retired from the real estate business in Beverly Hills. I found him very warm and gracious. It seemed like he took a personal interest in every aspect of our experience, took pains to make sure our stay was wonderful. It was, and I'm looking forward to my next trip there. I'm hoping for the fall high-color season next fall.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CohibaOrangeCounty
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Our first visit to Vermont was perfect as a result of staying at The White House. From the time we arrived -until to the time we left, the staff and owner could not have been more welcoming & friendly. It was as though I had been there before or was staying at the home of a friend or family member. Unfortunately, the week blew by. This place is everything you imagine it to be. We have stayed at several Inns over the years,but this one is unique. The service, food & care were all excellent.
Upon our first night while dining at the Inn, the owner, Stan, made it a point to come over and introduce himself to us & welcome us to the Inn. Stan made a wonderful impression upon my wife and I , which really just set the wonderful tone for our vacation.
Thank you so much to everyone at the Inn, you made our anniversary really special!!!
See you at Thanksgiving!!!! Wouldn't miss it.
Richard & Michelle.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2008

What a marvelous place. There is a new owner that is very personable and making big improvements although I never saw it before the change in ownership. The grounds are fab, the staff is all very nice, and the food is dreamy five diamond, what a find.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank AZLindsay
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We just got home from The White House Inn and I will certainly go back!! The new owner has done AMAZING things to the place. I We found it to be a very warm environment; perfect for our romantic get away.

If you are looking to "leave it all behind," breath fresh air, gaze at the stars while being fed 5 star food in the comfort of a luxurious Inn then you've found the right place.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank frinkledoc
Reviewed August 15, 2008

The owner of the inn was drunk at the bar, it would be nice to get a jetted tub after a day of skiiing, there are other inns in the area that have FP and jetted tubs in the room without such horrible owners

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JOhngrimes
Stanleyps, Owner at The White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2008

I purchased The White House Inn in July of this year. You indicate your stay was in February. I invite you to return for another visit to see all the changes we made. I'm sure you'll have a more positive experience.

Reviewed March 22, 2008

My husband and I had a fantastic time. Extremely romantic and loved the fireplace in our room. Don't hesitate to book this trip!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snib333
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Old Red Mill
#8 of 10 in Wilmington
Deerhill Inn
Deerhill Inn
#1 of 12 in Dover

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!