“Wonderful weekend”

Ranked #4 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
New York
“Wonderful weekend”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We are still here at the inn. It is cold, however, Jill the manager, jan at the bar, Pam, the restaurant staff are keeping us warm, comfortable and extremely well fed. The serenity spa provides the best facial and massage ever. Our room, 111, is not cold. It is quite toasty with the fireplace. We are so relaxed that we are coming back in august. The inn is beautiful and we are looking forward to coming back in august and walking the grounds and enjoying the town

Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My fiance and I chose this location for a romantic getaway. The inn boasts on its website that it is great for romantic getaways. Upon arrival, we found it strange that the check in was on the opposite side of the inn from the parking area. There was no direction to the front desk, a closet, so we had to explore a little to find it. Check in was done with Pam. She was okay, but didnt seem overly enthusiastic about her job. We were guided to our room, 15. The room was extremely cold (in the 50's according to thermometer. It was clear that the baseboard heating did not work effectively, an electric heater provided slowly brought the room to a habitable temperature. The windows had plastic wrap on them due to the cold. The mattress was cheap and very hard to sleep on for two nights. We both tossed and turned all night. The bathroom, at first look, appeared to have been updated. The fan was extremely loud and could not be left on. The shower pressure was not very good. We had a jacuzzi tub that we did not use. The shower flooded the bathroom floor every morning we used it. The tile around the shower was pitched in a way that water followed the edge of the tub and went right onto the floor, making it a slip hazard. There were very few towels and toiletries in the room. The tissue box had two tissues left in it. We later heard from the maid that she knew about this, but only had one more box left that was crushed. We took the crushed box. The fireplace in the room was a nice feature, but they only gave us enough wood for a fire that lasted about an hour. Any additional wood had to be purchased from the hotel.
We took an intro to massage class from Laura. She was great and very knowledgable. Highly recommend her!
Dinner was excellent. The food was well cooked and seasoned. Good size portions as well. Dessert selection was a little lacking. Wait staff seemed overwelmed with every a small crowd. I would have preferred some louder music playing to drone out conversations being held at other tables.
Our first night of sleep was non-existent. Our romantic getaway spot was next to two rooms occupied by college age people. They were up until about 3am each night partying. Their conversations were easy to overhear due to the thin walls. Would have liked for staff to tell them to be quiet or leave, but I guess they didnt care enough to do that. In our room, we could feel the room shake when people ran up and down the exterior stairs adjacent to the room. It was very difficult to rest. Our second night was worse than the first.
The breakfast service was adequate in the morning. Good coffee and food. Eggs were not so great, but that was our only complaint. It was a sit down service so tip the waitress!
We paid for a dog sled tour at Husky Works, just north of Mt. Snow. Great couple running this tour. Highly highly recommended. It is a little pricey, but a once in a lifetime experience.
Overall, this inn is overpriced by about $100 per night. We enjoyed our weekend, but only despite the conditions of our room. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, go elsewhere! This hotel has too diverse of a crowd to ensure that you will only be surrounded by other couples trying to have a quiet romantic getaway.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank RaptorCT
WhiteHouseInn178, Manager at The White House Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a response to your stay here at the White House. We wished we knew how unhappy you were with your stay and the noise from the room next to you, we would have liked to have been able to address your complaints while you were here and at least been able to possibly make your stay more enjoyable. We do have signs for registration as you are driving in that bring you to the front door and to the office. Wood is always available if you need more than supplied a simple request and we would have brought some more to your room. We are very sorry that we did not accomplish a wonderful visit with us.
New York
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We started coming to The White House Inn over 7 years ago. We love the space. It's a beautiful, charming mansion, on its own hill steeped above the tiny town of Wilmington. Unfortunately, the Inn has undergone several changes over the years. In an effort to keep business coming, it's lost some of its B&B charm. A town psychic (literally) took over the entire main living room space for private sessions on the Saturday we were there, leaving it unavailable for guests. It was a huge disappointment. The noise from the loud restaurant and bar carries up to the rooms - a simple fix could just be to close the doors. Overall the Inn has lost its quiet, serene sense. We'd characterize it more as an off mountain ski lodge than a quaint B&B- catering to Mt Snow skiers and the local community more than B&B types. As a B&B goer, relaxing in the large, spacious beautiful living room should never have to be compromised by psychic readings. This really perplexed us, as you can see. The restaurant and bar staff continue to be lovely. They get an A+. We probably won't be returning for a couple's getaway unless the Inn recovers some of the charm from our earlier visits. It's still a beautiful space so we would consider coming back with a large group of friends prepared to take in all of the ski lodge type commotion.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cmlmls
Greenfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We hadn't been back since a management and chef change a year or so ago and were keeping our fingers crossed. No worries! Bruch was excellent. We were a large party of 9 and everything was handled well. Pancakes were perfect, eggs benedict served elegantly, and brunch drinks (mimosas and bloody Mary's) well made. All of the entrees were fresh and well prepared.
The ambience is elegant and comfortable at the same time. A guitarist in the bar area played James Taylor, etc and was a first-rate performer.
A lovely way to spend a Sunday with friends and far better than the usual pre-game Superball options......

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Litchfeild
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Just returned from a lovely stay at The White House Inn. I was greeted by Aubrey who was very kind and gracious. She gave me a tour of the Inn as I love old homes and this certainly is an old home turned into an inn. There was not a lot of activity as I stayed mid-week and the restaurant was closed. I was aware of this as I made my reservation. They do provide guests a breakfast but it is served around 8am and that was too late for me. This is truly a beautiful place though it needs a lot of TLC. There are so many wonderful architectural details throughout the building that need proper attention and I hope in time they are addressed. This place has the potential to be grand! If you are planning a stay during winter months I feel it is important for you to know that it is a cold building. Aubrey provided me with an electric heater for the room and I kept a fire going in the fireplace til I fell asleep. I did have to make a few trips on my own out back to get wood after the office was closed but I'm a hardy New Englander and that didn't bother me but it might bother you. The White House Inn is home to the Serenity Spa which deserves tremendous praise. I treated myself to a massage and a facial. Laura gave me my massage and I have had few massages as SPIRITUAL as this one! Laura not only is a certified masseuse but also has extensive yoga training. She combines both in a massage session. I had the hot oil candle massage for 55 minutes and next time I'm taking the 75 minute one … WORTH EVERY PENNY! This is a massage where you do not speak a word…you simply breathe, listen to the Tibetin Monks and relax. Laura rubs the hot oil candle into your body, manipulates your body and limbs and focused on balancing my energy and I'm telling you it was one of THE BEST massages I have ever had. Kathleen gave me a facial after the massage and Kathleen is a lovely woman, and my facial was wonderful! It has been about a year since I have had a facial and now that I am home I still feel like my face is exhibiting that healthy glow! Despite the coldness indoors I will return to The White House Inn again…hopefully soon.

Room Tip: If you stay in the winter be sure to have a room with a fireplace and extra wood if you stay up late...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kelly S
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed January 6, 2014

In spite of the cold, we enjoyed another perfect winter weekend at the White House Inn. For the true flavor of Vermont, this historic Inn is the best place to stay. The staff is always friendly, welcoming and very helpful with any request, from vegetarian meals to local attractions. After a great day of skiing, we treated ourselves to hot-stone massages by Laura at the Spa (and the experience was better than Canyon Ranch), then we recovered with an excellent meal in our private dining room with a roaring fireplace. If you are looking for a Marriot, this Inn is not for you, but if you want to stay in a wonderful, rambling, historic and friendly Inn, the White House is not to be missed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for three night over New Year eve and all in all had very good time. This is an old grand residence turned into an inn. The house is beautiful and retained some original pieces that are fun to discover. It sits on a hill at an angle to the road and looks as amazing when you approach it as its surroundings when viewed from your room or the porch. The rooms are for the most part nicely appointed and welcoming, and very clean. The entire staff is pleasant and very helpful. A few issues encountered during our stay, were addressed and resolved immediately. You get a sense that people who work here genuinely enjoy their work and do their best to provide for an enjoyable experience for their guests. A few things that we noted during our stay might not be apparent to a non-guest and I hope that the staff will make the necessary changes to improve the experience of their future visitors. I would definitely recommend his place, maybe with a few caveats:
* the check-in vs. entrance positioned very awkwardly
* the rooms are very cold in winter. We heard this complaint from every guest we talked to. Innkeeper placed a portable heater in our room and let us keep it for the duration of the stay which helped. But the house itself including breakfast room and downstairs common area are freezing as well. Fireplaces help but only in the immideate vicinity.
* The downstairs common area needs some adjustments. The billiard table is positioned in such a way that it leaves practically no room on either side of it. These area also needs a fresh coat of paint and a more cohesive decorating scheme. Keeping in tune with the period is great but peeling paint and a mismatch of old furniture just takes away from the authenticity.
* we stayed in room 111 which has entrance only from the porch not the house itself (same for room 112). I don't remember seeing this on the website and this was not mentioned when I called to inquire about the room. It might be ok in the warmer month, but is definetly an issue during winter. There is probably nothing that can be done about this but it should be disclosed to the prospective guests.
*bathrooms need some shelves and hooks
*period iron bed has very intricate headboard which is beautiful until you bang your head on it for the fifth time. Thicker pillows and four instead of two will solve this issue easily
All in all, this is a very nice place and just needs some attention to details to make it as great as it can be

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
No photo provided
Deerhill Inn
Deerhill Inn
#1 of 12 in Dover
Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!