“Great respite from the summers heat”

The White House Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Vermont in the summer is not when most people think of going there. After living in Burlington for three years I know it is the place to go to get away from the humidity and dead grass in Southern New England. We were so lucky to find this B&B on Groupon.com. What a wonderful long weekend in a beautiful Inn. Was it perfect? No, we were disappointed the outside pool was under repair. But we found so many other wonderful amenities about this Inn it really didn't matter. Kat, the Inn Keeper, is such a sweetheart and will do anything to please. We had our own bathroom and air conditioner (Room 11) and loved it.Casey, who cleaned our room, noticed we had brought wine with us and left two wine glasses with a note so we didn't have to drink from plastic cups. The bar atmosphere was great and Joe remembers your names and drinks of choice. Roger is a great waiter and the breakfast, included, was wonderful. It is a great location, too. We visited Bennington and friends went to Woodstock and all of us came away happy with our day trips.Yes, the Inn is older and needs some repair but if you look beyond the superficial the grounds and interior are just stunning. The antiques are every where and the views are wonderful. If you want to get some R&R and get away from your daily grind this Inn will help you achieve your goal of a stress free vacation. We really felt very pampered.

Room Tip: Go to the website and there are pics of all the rooms. You won't spend much time in it so don...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CtIslandgirl

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I had a romantic stay at this beautiful, friendly inn. Our room, number 6 had a cozy balcony with an amzing breeze. Next time my husband wants to get room number 2, which is a larger suite with unobstructed views of the mountains and village. I however, loved the trees in front of our balcony. It was private and the sound of the wind through the leaves was enchanting. The food was off the hook. Dinner should have been illegal....it was seriously that good. Breakfast was just as amazing and the waiter, Roger, made you feel like he was so excited to help you start your day right. The signature cocktails were inventive and tasty. We left feeling totally relaxed. We will stay ther again, for sure.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My family and I spent several days at The White House in just before the 4th of July and I was pleasantly surprised by how beautiful and charming this place is. I love these types of Inns full of character and history and the hospitality was great. We stayed in room 8 and it was just perfect for a family of four. The king size four post bed was very comfortable and it came with a very large outdoord deck which was just great to relax and watch the sunsets. It also had a seperate living room with a pull out bed for the kids. The room was just great! I particularly made sure not to sleep in and miss the breakfast (9:30 am deadline) since it was a great way to start the day. excellent breakfast indeed. The Innkeeper and Chef Aaron do a great job of making you feel welcomed and relaxed. They do a great job of making sure you are well taken cared of and the food was outstanding! We went to Putnam State Park and had a woderful time swimming at Slamon Hole. I recommend it. Moutn Snow is about 15-20 minutes away and its a great place to hike, mountain bike or scenic ride on the gondolas. The White House Inn is a real treasure and it seems like more people are finding out about it. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room 8 was great! Its also the bridal room for wedding functions. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank loum774
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Highly recommend to those who are looking for a relaxed and quite get away. The house is beautifully decorated with priceless antiques and adorned with luxurious linens. The view of town and of the mountains are breathtaking, not to mention the sunsets! The grounds are spectacular and the daily breaksfasts were to die for. Furthermore, the innkeepers were extremely helpful, friendly and hospitable. Can't wait to go back in the winter for snow tubbing!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Igrejasmatos
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed at the Inn this past weekend and plan on returning as much as possible! The inn was beautifully decorated and had a relaxed environment. The staff especially Kathryn was great. There was a cute sunken bar with a fun bartender that remembered each persons name that he met. The breakfasts were amazing and each day seemed to get better! I highly recommend getting a massage from Laura in the Spa--she was exceptional. Go and relax---check out the Tallula's Antique market and Grafton's Cheese factory in Brattlesboro.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Christine L
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed at the White House Inn this past weekend with my husband for our anniversary and it was phenomenal. Kathleen was incredibly helpful, and the cook was amazing! Every morning and evening we were served with the most sumptuous meals (and coming from Boston, we have our pick of a lot of good restaurants). We are planning on coming again very soon, everything was so so wonderful!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maura888
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My sister and I had heard from some friends that this was a nice place to stay for a quick R&R trip. They had stayed there several years before. We booked 2 jacuzzi suites next door to each other (111 and 112) and spa services for our 3 day get-away. My advice: stay away until there is substantial investment in room repairs/updating. The landscapeing and grounds are stunning and immaculate as are the public areas of the inn. The spa services were exceptional and professional. The food was good and the service from Roger was great. He even shared with us the "secret staircase." The innkeeper seems young and inexperienced (unable to respond properly to guest problems). Upon arrival we were informed the jacuzzi in our room was not working. Couldn't they have called me?! According to another employee (nameless) this wasn't working for a while. There was an open box with in the bathroom with electrical wires exposed! There was also a wad of hair in the tub and what looked like the remenants of a very bad leak in the ceiling. The bathroom had clearly not been cleaned in a while. There were missing cushions from the chairs outside my room and every corner was thick with cobwebs outside. This room looked nothing like the one posted online. Additionally after using the Keurig coffee maker once, I was told they had a pot of coffee in the dining room for guests (I felt scolded!). After breakfast, the Keurig had a cloth drapped over it which clearly looked like a do-not-touch hint. That was the last I saw of the Keurig machine. It disappeared and never returned. So I had a sit-down with the innkeeper and explained my disappointment. She moved me to another room (15) which had a sickening smell to it but a working jacuzzi. I turned on the A/C and left the room to go into town with my sister. Clearly the innkeeper knew it smelled, too, for when I returned someone had been in my room, turned off the air and plugged in a room freshener. The combined smell of the strong extra-sweet and the horrible stink made me physically ill by morning and I could not even eat my breakfast. I could not wait to get out of there. To her credit, she shaved off a small portion of the room price and gave me a bottle of "champagne" (no, Prosecco is NOT champagne) but the trip was ruined. I would never give them another chance. Further, I felt sorry for whoever was due to come into room 15 because she stated that she was putting them into room 111! Wow, that speaks volumes about her character: she was not going to take that room out of circulation! She was prepared to do to someone else, what she had just done to me!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lucyanne1
WhiteHouseInn178, Manager at The White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

I would like to start by saying that we at the White House Inn welcome all feedback that is honest and educated. As new innkeepers, we believe that guest feedback is the most important way to progress the quality of our beautiful property. Having arrived here less than 3 months ago, we have not been able to make all the changes and repairs we would like to with this 100 year-old unique estate. However, our previous reviews can attest to the hard work we are putting in to bring to the surface the beauty and history of this charming property.

In my 13 years of guest service experience, I have been able to learn how to read guests and try and anticipate their needs and expectations as much as possible. However, when our staff is informed by guests upon the first 3 hours of their arrival to expect a bad review, there is only so much that we can do to make the stay more enjoyable before we must examine the effectiveness of our numerous efforts.

I am very sorry that I could not turn things around for you. I wish that the many complaints in your review had been brought to my attention during your stay and thus been able to be rectified. We thank you highly for the issues that you DID bring to our attention. We are aware that there are indeed issues that need to be fixed (especially after the flood last year) and I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience.

However, I do want to clarify that we did NOT place, nor intend to place, anyone in the non-working jacuzzi room after you, except for housekeeping and maintenance until the problem was resolved (which it is).

While I do appreciate your feedback, I find the personal attack on my character as well as the speculation as to what I knew, didn't know, or what action I would be taking after your departure, to be highly inappropriate.

In any case, your feedback is always welcome, as long as it is honest. I would like to ensure you that we are doing everything possible to correct the situations brought to our attention as many of them were fixed that same day. I hope your speech at the school went well this weekend. We are certainly disappointed you will not be joining us again here at the White House Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Old Red Mill
#1 of 3 in Wilmington
Deerhill Inn
Deerhill Inn
#1 of 12 in Dover

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!