“Classic Vermont charm. Lobby warmed with both a large, lodge-like circular fireplace and a very welcoming dining staff.”
Review of Old Red Mill

Old Red Mill
Old Red Mill
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I called to make a "last minute" reservation for a stay of three nights to enjoy recent, late winter snow and ski nearby Mount Snow.
I had a feeling I made a good choice when the man who answered the phone told me he was in the kitchen but he would, "wash his hands, take off his apron and call me back in 5 minutes". In my mind I pictured a quaint, relaxing Vermont Inn and that is exactly what we found waiting for us at the Old Red Mill Inn in Wilmington, Vermont.
When making our reservation on Wednesday, just 2 days in advance, we opted for a $98.00/night room in which a cot would be placed to accommodate my 8 year old "Godson".
Upon check in, we were pleasantly surprised to have been given the much larger "family room". It was a large, corner room with three large windows that allow both a view of the Deerfield River (which runs along the back of the inn) and a large amount of daylight to enter the room. The room contained a very comfortable, queen size bed, two twin beds, a chair with ottoman and ample drawer and closet space The room and its bathroom were very clean. The bathroom appeared to have newer fixtures and the shower looked freshly tiled, provided more than enough hot water and offered great water pressure.
The inn's "special" was a great bargain as well, with no charge for our third night stay on Sunday. Weekend mornings include a nicely arranged continental breakfast: cereals, bagels, English muffins, yogurt, juice, coffee and a variety of teas. Breakfast was enjoyed in a classic New England style dining room. Seated in large windsor chairs, we overlooked the Deerfield River and watched the river's water rush around rocks blanketed with white piles of snow as it passed a picturesque, frozen river bank. Know that there is no coffee available at the inn on Monday morning but is easily located at a number of local sites. I simply made a trip out to bring back coffee, fruit, cheese and biscuits from a local market and we ate a small breakfast in our room as we readied to both pack and prepare for our last few hours on the slopes. If the morning temperatures were not as mild as this March Monday's were I may not be as charitable in my assessment. The availability of a hot water dispenser for guests to make a cup of "instant" coffee or tea would be a welcome addition.
We enjoyed two dinner meals at the inn. One was served in the dining room, the other at a table in the inn's tavern. Each was a hearty and delicious meal and the fresh, salad bar was a welcome addition. The staff was attentive and very friendly. Tracy and Pat each took time to share warm conversation and gave kind attention to each of us. We later learned that it was Janet who moved us in to the family size room when it appeared it had not been reserved by the time of our arrival. A sincere thank you to each of you.
Our 8 year old charge was delighted with his experience at the Old Red Mill Inn and commented often as to how much he loved it there. The staff really added to his feeling welcomed and special.
We believe his stay there was as big a part of his first time, learn to ski weekend as were his lessons, his first ride to the top of Mount Snow (on his third day, not his first!) and his eagerly skiing down the Long John trail.
We are pleased we chose to stay at this wonderful, classic and charming, Vermont jewel in Wilmington. We not only made a great choice but are certain we made a great "family" memory.
We plan to visit again soon.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank SMDCT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wilmington, Vermont
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had left a couple things in my room, then called a few hours after i checked out and talked to someone and gave my info so i could retrieve it. No return call from a manager. So i Went into the restaurant and asked about my things that were left and the manager of the Inn blatantly lied and said they were never found. i said to her obviously your housekeeping took off with it then cuz it doesn't just grow legs and walk out of a hotel and not turn up in the room or laundry especially when i had called about it. so wack, i used to work at a hotel and people would always leave things and we would mail their items or they would graciously say just toss it in the lost and found in case someone else needed one or whatever or we would hold it for them until they returned again....idk whats becoming of this shiesty world

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Aubrey M
Vermont
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Excellent menu, with great entrees and affordable burgers!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lest77
Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My family and i have been coming to the Old Red mill ever since i was a little toddler (for about 18 years). when winters come, the first thing i look forward to is our little snowboarding trip to vermont. the old red mill is truly a beautiful place. the staff is super friendly, genuine and hard working. The rooms are perfect for us, since we are on the slopes all day and just need a nice place to sleep at night. The food...THE FOOD...i cant even describe the enigma that is an old red mill dinner after a cold day outside. some of my best memories are of big juicy steaks for dinner, and then relaxing with family and friends by the cozy fire hearth. The salad bar is unparalleled, and make sure you get a table by the window at night, so you can see the half frozen brook running alongside the bank and the foggy little christmas lights across the river.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank michaeldiros
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We ran from Hurricane Irene and bizarrely found ourselves in what would become an inundated gorge (the water rose from 1-2 foot to around 9 ft overnight, then 3 ft more before we left--the place was scary--nobody else apart from one family staying, and all staff abandoned ship with the owner nowhere in sight). A rather lackadaisical check in by tapping the shoulder of the bartender got us keys. The carpet threadbare and the room scarily dorm like (but very clean!). We ate here and it was surprisingly excellent--the outdoor grill overlooking what was to become a raging torrent had a highly competent chef (although not willing to share recipes, which is his right). Maybe 8 tables, cosy, flowers, wooden floor and building. I enjoyed the meal muchly, and the waitress was down to earth, friendly at the right time, and served us very well (although on slow tico time). I would recommend the restaurant BBQ ribs, but don't expect anything at all from the dorm rooms (except cleanliness). I hope the mill was not devastated, like the rest of this pleasant sleepy village, and wish them success in their business and any needed reservations. The price was right, and you get what you pay for--$85+ doesnt get much luxury.

Room Tip: Pay the extra few dollars for a river view, you can watch the effects of the hurricane and plan your...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BritIt
oldredmill, General Manager at Old Red Mill, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Yes, Hurricane Irene did cause me to call all the staff off on Sunday morning. I hate to think of what might have happened if everyonehad come to work. I was at the front desk for an hour before I felt it was necessary for me to leave. The owner was not able to get to The Red Mill as the roads were under water and washed out. Not seeing cars in the parking lot I must assume guests left before I arrived. Entire Village is devastated by the flood and only two or three businesses are able to continue at this time. Many months of rebuilding the Red Mill and the town are now our goal. Many videos of the Village are available on YouTube.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I was simply looking for a place to lay my head before a day at Mount Snow. Rang the Old Red Mill from the road and they were able to reserve a room for me.

Due to my late arrival the key was left for me (much appreciated). The downside though is that there was no one at the desk when I arrived. Had there been I would probably have left.

The walls are paper thin and while my interest in an inexpensive (okay, downright cheap) hotel room is that all I want is a bed and a shower. It would seem that others' interest in a cheap hotel room is that there is more money for beer. "Wahoo, PBR dude!" kept coming through both walls of my room until well after midnight. After a five hour drive, it wasn't welcome.

The sign on the room door helpfully asks that guests keep noise to a minimum and, if there are any issues, to report them to the front desk. But, since the desk isn't staffed it falls to the guests to work things out. I had little to no interest in confronting a half a dozen drunk college boys.

Location is ideal, less than a block to a small strip of bars and restaurants. The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the water was nice and hot, with good pressure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank cl_sangsters
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed March 25, 2011

TERRIBLE...My wife and I encountered rude service and terrible lodging conditions. We arrived at 5:30 and no one was available to check us in, but the key was tacked to the front door. Our room condtions were the biggest complaint. The room was very small, had one working light, ink, dirt and "reddish" stains on the sheets and numerous holes in plaster of our walls. We wanted a relaxing vacation but were uncomfortable staying even one night. We tried to check out at 7am the next day but again no one was available so we left the key and a note requested a refund on the room. Received no phone calls. Approached the manager later that week and he was very rude was appalled at my complaints and said there was nothing he could do about the situation. There are MANY lodges in the area. My recomendation is to take a chance at any other one besides the Old Red Mill.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
oldredmill, General Manager at Old Red Mill, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
All guests are informed that the office is not open 24 hours a day when they make their reservation either with us directly or with our online reservation provider. Being late season the office does close earlier on evenings our restaurant is not open. The office was open at 8:00am the next day.

Contact names and numbers are given to all guests on their confirmation and on the envelope left for them if they are checking in late. The owners phone number is also posted on the office window.

The Old Red Mill Inn has never denied the size of the guests rooms. They are small, but clean. Our housekeeping staff is trained to check all light bulbs and the television remote batteries while cleaning. Having personnally inspected this room the next mornin,g I found all lights to be in working order. The television had been unplugged and cable removed from back of television. This was not done by Red Mill staff. Depending on the application, plaster walls can be rough or smooth. The plaster walls at the Red Mill are rough. There are no holes in the walls.
The housekeeping staff would never intentionally use linens from our linen service that had stains or ink.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Colonial Motel & Spa
The White House Inn
The White House Inn
#3 of 10 in Wilmington
Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Been to Old Red Mill? Share your experiences!