“Well Suited for the Suited or for Suitors”
Review of Thyme

Thyme
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Eclectic and creative menu featuring local ingredients. Located in the Old Tip Top Bread Bakery building which is home to numerous artist studios and retail shops in downtown White River Junction, Vermont. Outdoor seating when weather permits.
White River Junction, Vermont
“Well Suited for the Suited or for Suitors”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Tip Top has pretensions. So when you have pretensions -- for that business lunch or for that romantic dinner, the Tip Top tops the list in White River Junction. The menu is creative; the staff is professional and attentive without being overbearing; the prices are reasonable. Their bread and spread is fantastic. The fries with aeoli is a great palate-teaser. And every day they have a fish entree and a vegetarian entree that are excellent. Atmosphere is dim, quiet and -- at least for White River Junction -- elegant. It's a nice experience!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Kalonymos

“Hidden gem”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stop at this little spot annually on our way to VT for a week of skiing--- dont let the outside average facade fool you--- the food is simple yet gourmet with the freshest of ingredients. A great menu with seasonal items as well as permanent menu selections. They have a full bar and a kids menu. It has an urban vibe on the inside, what you might expect a few miles up the road at Dartmouth as a college town spot. But it's in a very unassuming location 10 minutes from Quechee and 10 minutes from the Ivy League. You will be glad you stopped- it's tip top!

1 Thank Figawi
Austin, Texas
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Driving trips can be fabulous. The scenery and people and the general feeling of exploration are some of my favorite things. Finding a decent place to eat can be a challenge on these trips, even with review sites, gps listings and so forth. What a fortunate find was the Tip Top. From the name I was hoping for a decent club sandwich, but instead was rewarded with a little gem of a bistro type place. We had excellent hangar steak, a chef prepared tomato bisque and house dessert. Perhaps it was even better than four star but I like to reserve that last star for the just can't get any betters of the world. I definitely would return here.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank falconfling1
Salem, Massachusetts
“Great Little Restaurant”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Not much open on a snowy night so I happened upon this place. Inside is nicely decorated with 12-15 tables and a couple pub tables near the entrance. There is no bar which is disappointing, and they have room at the entrance.

Warm home made bread was brought to the table.

The tomato bisque that was excellent, some crunchy croutons and cheese, yummy.

The pan seared cod was outstanding. I am not sure if I have had a more tender perfectly cooked cod ever. I mean really just great. It was on a potato nest and spinach. The carrot butter sauce it was mixed in with was fantastic. This was a 10 entre!

2 glasses of wine, bisque and entre with tip was $60. A great deal for a great meal.

But make bar seating available!!!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank SALEM_JOHN
Boston, Massachusetts
“Simply, outstanding”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

What in the WHAT!? I don't understand what I just stumbled into, I still think I was dreaming. Oh and this is a milestone review, #200....and I'm honored to be reviewing such an incredible find.

This isn't a "cafe" in my eyes at all unless you count the small outdoor space I saw, which when i was there it was still 12 degrees outside. I'm sure this is a gem of a spot on a 70 degree summer night but I still felt right at home in the dimly-lit, artfully decorated interior.

Gary was my waiter and he was one of, if not THEE best waiter I have ever had in my entire life. That isn't an exaggeration at all. He was knowledgeable about the food, helpful at every turn and super pleasant....but not in a pushy or campy way. Kudos to whoever hired him, hold onto him for as long as you can.

I started with the soup of the day, white bean and barley. When a soup is this good to start a meal you know you are in for a treat. Perfectly balanced and topped with fresh herbs, the beans were cooked to perfection and I slurped up everything in my bowl.

Well technically I didn't "start" with the soup, the bread and faux chimichurri dipping sauce almost outshined everything else I had. While the bread was fairly standard, the dip was divine. It reminded me of ginger/scallion dip my wife's Chinese father made us for dunking freshly killed chicken from Chinatown. If it didn't sit around for at least 24 hours to have all of those yummy flavors blend together in a beautiful marriage then the Tip Top chef really fooled me with this one. Can I get a bottle of this to go.....pretty please?

Some of the biggest disappointments came from the pork belly dish. About 10% of it was unedible and super fatty. To be expected with belly but I don't like wasting meat and some of it could have been trimmed off. Also, the jicama didn't pair as well with the pork as I think the chef was going for. Sure, it's exotic but I'd much rather have a green apple compliment the belly, even though they aren't really in season in the middle of winter. The onion topping was a great touch and I can't remember ever having those two things together before, usually fried onions are with beef. Still, none of the perceived flaws pulled down the overall rating of the restaurant..

This type of food in Boston would likely cost 30 - 40% more than what I paid (I think the pork belly was $18). You're spoiled at times Vermont, especially when it comes to the farm to table so many of these great joints are offering these days. I can't wait to go back even though my time in VT is coming to an end.....this is one special, classy place and the owners are doing everything right.

• Visited January 2014