“You get what you pay for”

White River Inn and Suites
Shaftsbury, Vermont
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

You get what you pay, in this case I'd say we paid a little to much. Ok I don't expect much from an Econo Lodge to bigin with, and I would stay in one normally, but my in-laws were told this was the best place to stay if you were going in the hopital [not even close].

The outside of the building hasn't been updated since it was a HoJo. The rooms and the hall way smelled just awfull, and they sprayed some sort of sent to cover up the smell, but that just made it worse. Our blanket [yes more than one] had burn wholes in them [funny to find in a non smoking hotel]. There was one handicap parking space for the whole property [I think that's a zoning issue]. The lady at the front desk was outside smoking when we got there, and she told me to wait, she'd be in when she finished.

Although I didn't find any evendence I felt all night like I had stuff crawling on me. There are much better place in the area, don't make the mistake of staying here.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — let me count the ways...I con't decide what was the worse
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank vtmom13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

My son and I checked in to this hotel only to see a lovely new Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn across the street. I said to myself it will be fine as long as it is clean. Well, staying here was a mistake - the room had a terrible odor and the carpet did not appear clean. The showers had mildew stains...hard to explain but it was pretty awful. Do not stay here - it is not worth the money saved!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The smell
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank cheppesntall
Santa Cruz, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

This hotel is old and creepy. The decoration is depressing and the staff won't say hi back to you, so don't even bother. The towels were so stained they looked nasty, and my bedroom smelled like chewing tobacco spit. It is not worth the money! Also, the shower was clogged. YUK

• Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lake Mary, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

On the plus side, they seem to keep everything pretty clean. There is a breakfast with pastries and juice.

On the minues side.

The side door to the hotel does not lock. Anyone off the street could walk in.

The hotel is very dated, and the furniture is old and worn but it is basically clean.

The parking lot is not well lit at all and small for the hotel.

When our toilet was clogged, they didn't fix it; they just brought us a plunger in a bucket.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — having to plunge out our own toilet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greene County, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

Our family of 5 stayed in one of this Econo Lodge's suites. We were kinda leery of the place but it was better than expected. The room was very large. Certainly an older hotel. Worn down but clean. What was the most surprising to me was that I requested a crib and it actually was in the room and set up when we got there. Honestly, we travel a lot, and this was the first time a crib was ever there waiting for our arrival. The young woman working the front desk was very friendly and accommodating. She even brought us extra pillows when we asked. The parking lot was a crowded at night because the hotel shares it with a restaurant/nightclub. We could hear somebody partying. But other than that, it was adequate.

• Liked — Very large room
  • Disliked — A bit run down
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Rhode ISland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

Made reservation through Yahoo Travel to stay at the Econo Lodge for my grandfathers burial. I had never heard of Econo Lodge, but only needed a place to sleep, so I went with it.

Reservations were for 2 rooms, one for myself and another for my mom and aunt.

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 5:00 pm. Upon arrival it was very apparant that the hotel was not up to basic standards of cleanliness or maintanence.

I decided to take a look around before we checked in.

I peered into one of the rooms windows and noted that the rooms appeared outdated and poorly maintained, but as long as they were clean, it would have been acceptable.

I tried a side door and to my suprise was able to gain access because the security locks were not working. This was a concern right away, because of the type of people I saw meandering about the hotel.

Once inside the hotel, I immediately noticed the hallway carpets had big stain down the entire length of the hall.

The walls appeared as if they had not even been dusted in months, and the air conditioner was filthy and covered in grime.

It was decided that with all the factors combined, the conditions were unacceptable for us to stay at this hotel.

I called the front-desk and informed the clerk that we would like to cancel our reservations. He stated he would charge us for the room anyway; at that point I got off of the phone and walked into the office to deal with the situation in person.

I reiterated that the hotels level of upkeep and cleanliness were not up to my minimal standards and politely re-requested that my reservations be cancelled, without charging my credit card.

At this point the clerk was getting visibly annoyed, his tone became harsh and pointed as he recited the policy to charge for any cancellations that do not give a 24 hour notice; even though our yahoo travel itenerary stated that reservations could be cancelled until 4:00 pm of that day. We were stil outside the cancellation range, but the clerk was also adamantly arguing on an untrue assertion that was contradicted by papers in my hand.

It soon became evident that no progresss was being made by speaking with the clerk, so I called the main national customer support line and explained the situation.

After about 45 minutes, they finally agreed to cancel the reservations for no charge. This was worked out between the corporate headquarters and the hotel manager (whom was not onsite at the time) via phone.

After the customer support agent informed us of the result, she also said the hotel manager would like to talk to us, and asked if it was ok to transfer us directly to her.

Instead of offering an apology for the state of the hotel or apologizing for turning something simple into a stressful 90 minute argument, she started yelling at me!

She was yelling into the phone about how we were liars and going on about how we were scammers (what exactly was I trying to scam?) ; she also stated she was going to take pictures and send it to corporate so they could see we were lying about the state of the hotel.

This isn't where it ends, but it should have been.

Starting at mid-night that evening we started receiving prank phone call on the cell phone we used for the Econo lodge reservations. They calls were coming in about every hour and were marked 'private' , this continued for 3 days.

I knew it was the clerk from the econolodge because I recognized his voice, and once there was a phone ringing in the background, the same ring as the phone at thge econo lodge, and he answered it but hadn't quite hung-up with us yet, and I clearly heard him answer the phone "Econo Lodge".

He used a colloquialism during one of the calls that had been made during the process of trying to resolve the matter. That phrase was "bite me".

Do not stay at this place, it is a total dump and the staff is inept and brazenly rude.

The prank calls just put this way over the top, not appropriatte on any level.

• Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank JandLynn
Boston, Mass.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2008

The stay was okay, there were some problems with the room. Our T.V did not work properly and we did not get HBO which was supposed to be a highlight of the hotel. When we requested a discount the two older ladies were extremely rude. One of them claimed she was the manager, if so I think it is time for new management. She did not present herself well enough to be management material and she needs classes on customer service. Needless to say, my family and I will not be staying there again.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank BostonMomma
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in White River Junction
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Lebanon
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Hotel Coolidge
Hotel Coolidge
#4 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to White River Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!