“The twilight zone in a diner”
Review of Polka Dot Restaurant - CLOSED

Polka Dot Restaurant
Cuisines: Diner
Description: The Polka Dot Restaurant is a small diner located in the heart of White River Junction. We sit directly next to the railroad tracks and have a historical tie to the community. We are under new management and are bringing back the vintage diner feel. We provide free WIFI, daily lunch and dinner specials, and a huge selection of homemade desserts. We also make fresh homemade donuts every morning. If you are looking for a small hometown diner feel and great food, we are your place.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We read reviews on TA and thought this might be a quirky but fun little place. It was mostly sad. I think I stayed more because it was clear how much the business needed customers and the staff were very nice. The place was literally falling apart. Booth seats had been recovered with industrial carpeting. Although they clearly started painting years ago the walls were not finished. I had a grilled cheese with bacon, hubby had a BLT and they were both ok. They seemed safe choices. Hubby had cherry pie for dessert that was not very good and looked old. Mary, the waitress seemed to be a fixture in the town. Once we were there a while more and more customers came in and seemed to be regulars. All taken into consideration, we had lunch for a little more than $10, so no complaints there. This is a funky, stuck in time, twilight zone kind of place. The food was acceptable and the service good but gruff. I do not think I would eat here again, but it was interesting..Just be prepared!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is a little diner in the center of town. It is clean and was rather busy when we were there. There are daily specials and breakfast is served all day until they close at 4 PM. The staff if very nice, helpful and professional. Unfortunately, several of the items on the menu weren't available because it wasn't summer yet. That included lemonade, macaroni salad, and potato salad. I had a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich and my Mom had an omlet with toast and jelly. The food was good and tasty. The price was what you would expect for a diner. Our whole meal, including dessert was under $20 before the tip. The best part of this place was the homemade pies. There were lots to choose from, including chocolate cream, blueberry, and apple. There was also vinegar pie, actually made with vinegar and strawberries. I wasn't quite up to testing it, but the people in the booth next to us did and said it was delicious and didn't even taste of vinegar. Parking is on the street. There is a ramp to get into the building.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Went here for lunch. Orange juice was good. Coffee and pancakes were OK. No VT maple syrup! My daughter had a club sandwich that was OK. It was served with crinkle-cut fries that I could have bought frozen myself at the grocery store. Staff was inattentive at best. The place is not in good shape physically - booths are very old and worn. I will not go back.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The people were incredibly friendly, but everything was soaked in butter, as one might expect in a diner. The restaurant has seen better days, but they keep it clean. The food was incredibly cheap so perfect for a quick bite on the way to skiing or hiking in the region.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

It's touch to find coffee before dawn in White River Junction, VT. Even the Coolidge Hotel, where I was staying, did not have coffee service in the room or in the lobby, and seemed bothered when I asked where I could search some out. "Hospitality business" they call it...hoteling? Anyway, the coffee cup at the Polka danced with great coffee and everytime I looked away it was filled again...magic? No, just good hospitality.
Highly recommend.