All reviews old school train station cafe next door vintage hotel turkish restaurant step back in time older hotels high ceilings new england charm junior suite lots of character railroad town attached cafe portable heater chain hotel opera house modern amenities
Selected filters
Reviewed May 29, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here one night during the Memorial Day.
We were welcomed on check in by lovely Yanne , who was so nice and welcoming.
The hotel is set in a 19th century building which is well maintained.
I would definitely recommend anyone visiting Vermont to stay in this lovely hotel!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Judith F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2018

Thanks so much for your compliments, and your five-star review. And yes, Janni is a definite treasure. I hope you get to come stay with us again!

Reviewed May 28, 2018

This is an old hotel but we loved the feeling of yesteryear. Staff was friendly and everything was super clean. We had a good night's sleep. They gave us a discount coupon for a great restaurant next door for breakfast.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Judith F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2018

Thanks for your kind review! We're glad that you enjoyed our comfy Hotel, which previous guests have described as being "like a trip to Grandma's house". Please come stay with us again!

Reviewed May 28, 2018

We had joined rooms for our family of 4. The kids loved that they had their own space. We all loved that it's a fun, historic property with a great story. Funky details made it exciting just to explore the halls. The rooms were nice and clean and the beds were really comfortable. We all slept amazingly well and didn't even hear a peep from other guests even though we were just at the top of the main staircase. Really friendly and helpful staff. I do regret that we went off gallivanting early instead of waiting for the free breakfast places to open, so can't comment on that. Would absolutely recommend. So much more fun and better character than big boring chain hotels!

Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Colleen--What a blast to read your five-star review! Next time, stay longer, gallivant more, AND enjoy the breakfast voucher!

Reviewed May 28, 2018

We went here last winter and really enjoyed it. White River Junction isn't exactly a vacation mecca and we went during an intense cold snap where temps dropped deep into negative numbers. We spent time rambling around the hotel with it's long corridors that have gently settled into a rolling character not unlike the Vermont landscape. The stem heat pipes banged a good deal, but it was possible to shut them off and the room was generously warm!

It's hard to correctly characterize but this hotel would be the perfect setting for a gentle comedy about Vermont life produced by the BBC for PBS with funding from the McArthur Foundation, if the McArthur Foundation funded comedy TV shows. We enjoyed interacting with the staff and the real wood fire in the lobby and observing the other guests come and go.

Everything about the hotel was good and we consider it a good value. The Turkish restaurant next door is good, Hanover across the river is charming and quite posh, the florist around the corner is worth a peek and the vintage clothing stores are a must for ladies.

This is not a Days or a Comfort Inn, its a little funny but in charm per $$ it cannot be beat.

As it's affordable we'd go to the Coolidge for no real reason. We're just happy to be there.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Oh my word--I cannot tell you how much I LOVED your review. We have often said (tongue-in-cheek, of course!) that this is a Vermont version of "Fawlty Towers", just crying to be made! Know any good grant writers?

Thanks so much for this--it made my day--and we look forward very much to your next visit!

Reviewed May 27, 2018

I really loved our stay at the Hotel Coolidge. We were in the area to tour Dartmouth (10 minutes away). We had two big rooms connected by a bathroom, plus a 1/2 bath so my teenager and I had plenty of room. The history of the hotel is really interesting and almost like stepping into another time period, except also comfortable for the modern traveler. The staff is very helpful and the area around the hotel is artsy and interesting. All the stores and restaurants nearby were unique and cool. The hotel gives you a voucher for breakfast at the restaurant next door. It was so fun to stay in a different kind of hotel from the usual chain hotels, and ultimately the Hotel Coolidge was more comfortable and fun than a chain hotel. I doubt my daughter will end up at Dartmouth, so I'll have to come up with another reason to return there.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Diane--I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I truly enjoyed reading your five-star review! You hit all of the high notes--our comfy rooms, the historic nature of the Hotel, our great staff, and our fun, convenient location. I hope that your travels bring you back this way--if you keep up with us on social media, perhaps you'll find a local event that is just too compelling for you to miss!