“Historical and interesting but shabby”
Review of Hotel Coolidge

Hotel Coolidge
Reviewed October 10, 2009

On a whim my hubby and I took a weekend trip to VT and stayed at the Hotel Coolidge. He had stayed there once and wanted me to get its old Vermont vibe.
As stated in previous reviews, the hotel is old and thus creaky and not too updated. Rooms were simple and in my opinion, not particularly clean. We started out in a room that was right at the top of the main staircase, with some noisy people in the room adjacent to ours. After about an hour, we requested to be moved to a quieter, more private area. The woman at the front desk was very pleasant and accommodating. The new room turned out to be much better, but it was freezing!! There was barely any heat coming out of the radiator. They did provide us with a space heater, which was a blessing. The bed was average. We could hear people down below on the street; I would recommend requesting a room toward the back of the hotel. Parking was tricky, as the spots in front of the hotel could not be occupied overnight, so we had to move to a small lot in the rear. Not a big deal, just a slight hassle.

On the positive side, the restaurant attached to the lobby was very good. We were hesitant to try it because it was buffet-style and there was hardly anyone in there, but we were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. I enjoyed it so much I went back down for breakfast the next morning. It was delicious!
We also wandered around the hotel to admire the old furnishings, etc. My hubby suggested we check out a banquet room in the back of the hotel because it had a rustic, interesting mural painted on the walls. It was definitely worth a look. We both enjoyed the fireplace in the lobby and enjoyed some reading time there. We strolled the streets and while there was not a whole lot to do, we appreciated the surrounding sights such as a church nearby, the train depot, and a theater.

Overall, I liked my experience in White River Junction, not nuts about the hotel but it was a relaxing little overnight trip. If you have high standards for accommodations, you may not want to stay here. If you can appreciate the historical New England aspect of the hotel and overlook the run-down appearance of the rooms, give it a try.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 4, 2009

We have stayed here for three summers while my daughter has attended the CCS program (across the street and a block down). Pro: The hotel is cheap and clean and the staff works hard. It has WiFi, AC, and you can get the New York Times in the gift shop.Your child can walk to the CCS while you snooze and return from class while you're off touring Vermont. It's ten minutes from the bridge to New Hampshire where (due to the lower taxes) there are actual restaurants and, up in Dartmouth, a bookstore. Con: It's an old hotel - - the floors creak and slope, the hot and cold water tend to fluctuate during showers. The freight trains pass by 2-3 times a night. The furnishings are Maine summer camp, not the Holiday Inn. It's in White River Junction which is not a happenin' burg (even with CCS in town). Bottom line: My daughter and I adore it. White River Junction is trying very hard to transform itself into a yuppie arts colony. Fortunately, the Hotel Coolidge is stoutly resisting the trend.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Truly a trip back to the railroad era...not a chain and pleasantly so. Big rooms, helpful staff, all was well. Great pub and bakery on the same block. Our group stayed two days and explored the area. Located next to an interesting railway depot and Vermont Railways scenic train excursions. Just need the rest of the town to wake up and join the ressurection.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 12, 2009

The hotel is old, which for some means unique charm, but some things were sadly outdated. The sink in the room was caked with rust. The shower stall no bigger than on a cruise ship. Room itself was super large, but beds not particularly comfortable. My biggest complaint has more to do with the location. I don't know if there was a bar next door or what but the yelling and screaming could be heard loud and clear in our front facing room. At one point a very loud domestic dispute was going on under our window around 3 AM. This is not the fault of the hotel, but if this happens a lot, forget about getting any sleep there. There are also trains that run by, but the noise of a train to me would be far more acceptable than shouting matches in the street. Not a good location for kids.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2009

My criteria is cheapest possible as I want to travel frequently so have rejoined Hostelling International and stayed in one of Hotel Coolidge's dorm rooms for hostelers. Hotel Coolidge is historic and doing its best to survive. They have normal hotel rooms with private baths, and then an assortment of other accommodations. For example there is at least one apartment for a family, one acupucture, massage business, a few student dorm rooms for the cartooning school across the street, Elderhostel rooms, and Hostel Intl. rooms both dorm and private. My dorm room had a twin bed and a bunk bed with no mattress up top so it would sleep only two people and a sink. Linens and towels provided. The hostel kitchen was makeshift with a sink and dishes in one room and the stove, refrig. and microwive in a different room with a table. There were three showers in two hostel bathrooms. All the hostel areas are drab. There is a self service laundry one floor down. The hotel lobby was pleasant with two meeting rooms, seasonal cafe, nice gift shop. There are comfortable sitting areas on each floor. Hotel is across the street from Amtrak station and in a funky historic downtown, almost dead quiet. There are a few places to eat, live theatre in an old opera house, some neat businesses such as a theatrical costume maker, hand painted lampshades, stained glass maker. Hostel was expensive for a hostel. Hostelers have very few facilities in New England and this is in a good geographical location for visiting both Vermont and New Hampshire attractions and for those reasons I have stayed here twice. Didn't see a regular hotel room so cannot review one, but they are probably OK.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The room was very nice. In fact, my friend and I were given two rooms, connected by a bath - very spacious. The beds were comfortable and all amenities were as advertised. The problem we had is with the location of the hotel at night. There was only a pizza place open within walking distance of the hotel. We were very disappointed. (But I must say that the pizza was excellent.) We were just hoping for more options and more of a community feeling.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Since we needed a room for only one night in late October, we decided to stay at the Coolidge because it has some history, was inexpensive, and we didn’t need the amenities we usually look for during extended stays (swimming pool, breakfast, in-room movies, etc.).

Obviously, you need to be the type of traveler who appreciates the atmosphere of this type of historic hotel, knowing up front that it isn’t going to be like the typical Marriott or Hampton Inn. We travel in Europe as much as we can, and so we really like unique historic hotels and shy away from cookie-cutter chain hotels whenever possible.

It seems as though the negative reviews posted here are older ones, and the newer reviews are more positive. Our experience follows that trend, as we did not find any hint of musty smells, and our room was spacious, well kept up, clean, and attractive. We enjoyed the overall atmosphere, the wide staircases and banisters, and the public sitting areas.

On the negative side, due to the sagging of the old floors, our bed was on a slant with the head side lower than the feet. Since I suffer from GERD, this was a real problem for me and could have been a deal breaker. However, we simply reversed the linens on the bed and enjoyed a good night’s sleep facing backwards. When we checked out, I mentioned it to the receptionist, and she said they would have done whatever necessary to resolve it if I had reported it during the night. She seemed genuinely concerned and helpful.

Also, the TV reception was nothing to brag about, but I couldn’t tell if it was just our TV or a weak incoming signal.

You might want to ask for a room that is further in back, because there are trains coming through the town during the night which can be heard in the front of the hotel.

After checking out, we went looking for breakfast within a few blocks, only to find everything was closed on Sunday. We returned to the hotel and found that the attached restaurant (not part of the Coolidge) had a breakfast buffet. We were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. The food was first rate with a nice variety of interesting items and excellent service. It would have been a shame if we had missed out on this treasure. I later found out it was newly renovated and under new management.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank mcsynth
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Lebanon
Quality Inn at Quechee Gorge

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!