“Great historic downtown hotel”
Review of Hotel Coolidge

Hotel Coolidge
Venice, Florida
“Great historic downtown hotel”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We checked in for one night and e. ed up staying a week. Yes it is old, but in that charming New England way. We had a nice air conditioned room and we met very interesting people at breakfast every morning.
We even met the owner one morning. No it is not a modern cookie cutter motel but we will stay nowhere else from now on.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was so disappointed by my experience at this historic hotel. I have a great deal of patience for quirky, old, eclectic, etc, but very little for preventable reservation mistakes. I had reserved a room online so that I could quickly save a spot for a last minute booking. I immediately followed up with a phone call to AVOID any problems with my group of four. I wanted to be sure that the room I had reserved could accommodate four adults (4 beds) and was assured that would not be a problem. You can imagine my dismay when I arrived and was told that my room had been switched. A manager had decided that my original booking reservation(for 1) did not need a room for 4, so my original room was given to a family. That meant that me and my three travel companions had to squeeze into a suite that had 1 double bed and a twin. The hotel's solution was to provide a cot that took up 99% of the available floor space, was not made, and was extremely uncomfortable. I did not receive a very apologetic response for their error but was told that "the reservation was only for one, so...." --- this is exactly why I called to SPEAK to someone! I wanted so much to avoid the hassles that could come from traveling with a group of 4 adults, and yet, that is exactly what we experienced. It was not a comfortable stay, and I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to double check your reservation confirmation for number of guests, since they seem to give...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these White River Junction hotels

Wales
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Only stayed one night, but were impressed by this old lady. Good location in town with pub next door. Rooms were very nice and the public areas full of interesting artefacts. Staff very pleasant and helpful. only one negative - it is VERY close to the station and at 5.30 in the morning, it felt as if the train was coming straight through the window! Also, breakfast a little spartan.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

When we pulled off of the highway all of the usual chains were full. One of them recommended Hotel Coolidge. It was delightful. Yes, old fashioned, but in a good way. It has a large lobby and large rooms, two bedrooms with a shared bathroom all for a very reasonable price. The two bedrooms do not share the bathroom with a 'stranger' and in this case my husband and I enjoyed each having a room. Lovely older hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The hotel staff were helpful and fun to talk to. We got an economy room, which served our needs perfectly. It had a very small TV, A.C., bathtub/shower (not much pressure) and was conveniently located to the Amtrak station (the reason we chose it). The best part about Hotel Coolidge is the historic atmosphere, we actually spent some time looking at their displays and sitting in the lounge with books. White River Junction is quaint, we went to two salvage warehouses, two restaurants and a clothing store.

Room Tip: The 'economy room' was cheap, $89 I think, plus tax. It was slightly larger than the bed, b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melrose, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The place is definitely old fashioned, for better or worse. I really, really liked the unpretentious, old-school decor and set-up overall. There was a real metal key but the door barely locked, hardly an issue in White River Jct though. My sister and I were able to stay in a 2-twin bed room, which was just what we needed and is hard to find. It felt like the 60s in there in a fun way.

But, the bathroom was horrible. Definitely the original fixtures from 1925, with rust-stained porcelin to prove it. Our entire bathtub was tinted orange, as was the "white" shower curtain. Also, you could tell the bathroom floor was not swept. Another issue - we wanted an 11:30 check-out so we could attend 10:30 Mass around the corner, but was told there were too many check-outs that morning so it wouldn't be allowed. You'd think that would mean they could just do our room in a different order and not lose any time, but what do I know. I could tell they weren't even slightly interested in our comfort or convenience.

We did not bother trying the breakfast, we went to the Polka Dot down the street for homemade donuts, but we had heard it was sparse.

I don't want to give a bad review because I love that the place has been kept up as a real old-fashioned hotel, but the cleanliness issues need to be addressed, and I felt like the price was too high for what they are offering.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank icecat77
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here while visiting Dartmouth. I picked it due to great reviews on TripAdvisor and for the fact that it is a historical site and a B&B. First of all, White River Junction is really not a great choice - there is very little there and it is further from Hanover than I somehow thought. The room layout was great - two bedrooms attached by a common bath for the two of us. We really liked that. However, when we got back after dinner and my daughter pulled down the bedspread her blanket was completely covered with hair. We took it off and put a couple of others that were extra on - they were both twin, so really didn't fit the double bed. It was also difficult to feel that they were clean; they were just darker in color and so harder to tell. The shower curtain in the bathroom was dark yellow/sulpher colored for about the bottom foot. The bathroom floor appeared not to have been truly cleaned for a while, etc., etc. In the morning, I told the front desk person about it and her response was that "that is gross". That was it. The breakfast was basically non-existent. There were two bottles of orange juice that were frozen solid and a package of bagels that were in a package but damp, like they had been defrosted in it. Needless to say, we went elsewhere to eat. I didn't even see cups or coffee. I truly don't know how they call it a B&B, as we were at breakfast within the times we had been told. There are so many other places to stay in the area; avoid this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jazwald
dcbwrj, General Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
This review has some merit but we did not think it was necessary to reduce us to lowest levels.

The location of White River Junction is in fact only five short miles from the the Dartmouth Campus along with over 500 other hotel rooms because Hanover does not have nearly enough rooms to meet the demands of the College.

The shower curtain problem we struggle with is caused not by a sanitary issue but by insidious iron-manganese in our water supply - we have decided to use a lighter color curtain that will show the staining sooner and we will replace them as a cost of doing business. Similarly the flooring in this room is ready for a redo. Our housekeepers do a super job in making sure we are clean and healthy but older materials do make it difficult to actually look as clean as they should at times.Our Breakfast Cart has plenty of back-up supplies but in busy moments it may be necessary to ask for assistance - this report relates to a full house check out day and back-ups apparently had not been put in place.

The hair problem reported reveals to us that our decision to allow pets even on a case-by-case basis means we will have to treat rooms with pets with more rigor and we will do this. The report helped us realize that more thorough inspection of blankets for example is done without fail.

All in all this review simply means we have to take stock and work harder. Meanwhile we hope people will continue to enjoy the ever expanding number of interesting things to discover in White River Junction.
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#4 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!