“Clean and Comfortable; Good Location”
Review of Hotel Coolidge

Hotel Coolidge
Bedford Hills, NY
“Clean and Comfortable; Good Location”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Coolidge for the second year in a row, and it was great again this year.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. We were especially grateful for the air conditioning during a crazy heat wave and for the mini refrigerator in our room. There were 3 generations of travelers: my husband and me, our daughter, and my mom. We had a suite with 2 rooms joined by a bathroom, and our room had a half bath as well. It was perfect for us! The hallways and common areas are dated, but it is a historic hotel! The hotel is within walking distance of a few great restaurants and within driving distance to many great sights. We will definitely stay here next time we are in the area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
margate
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I didn't plan to stay here and basically was a walk in. The hotel is old and it shows. However the room was clean and I slept great. The reception was friendly so I can't complain. The amenities are old and the floor slanted but why should I care?

• Stayed July 2013
Queensbury, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The place is old, but clean.What a unique building ! Walking the halls, you feel the history and feel part of it. We came for a concert at the Tupelo, and whe another comes, I would definitely stay at this charming place. The staff could not have been nicer! Thanks, Drew!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The rooms are decent if you just need a place to crash, but don't expect too much else. Bathroom/shower was not very clean at all... looked like someone just used some glue and duct tape to put it together. I also visited in July, and I've never been hotter in my life in a room. There was a window, but it faced another building and there was zero air flow. I woke up several times feeling like I was suffocating. If you're in this area definitely stay in a hotel unless the weather is perfect.

Room Tip: Request one with a fan if coming in the summer, if there isn't one, don't bother staying her...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
dcbwrj, General Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
It appears that this person stayed in our Hostel section which is licensed under Hostelling International but is not a part of the Hotel Coolidge as reviewed by Trip Advisor. The Hostel rooms have no air conditioning whereas all our hotel rooms do. The hot weather we have been suffering has made these rooms uncomfortable on occasions. However we have box fans available and we are always willing to work with guests to get them as comfortable as possible.
The common bathrooms are cleaned and kept in service by a dedicated housekeeping and maintenance staff so I do not understand the critique on them. At present we are in the process of completing a fully accessible ADA unisex bath/shower room and it will be very nice.
In summary I do not think it accurate to characterize our hotel on the basis of a hot night in our Hostel section. That section is a budget option in which many, many people enjoy a welcomed sense of economy.
David Briggs - Innkeeper since 1985

Travelers are raving about these White River Junction hotels

Nottingham, Maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Last minute stop in walkable town. Room was old and bathroom door stuck and toilet
seat kept falling off. People were very nice and gave good advice for Sugarbush Farm
trip for great cheese and syrup. Train did not bother our sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kendallville, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Hotel Coolidge is a quaint, historic, nicely appointed place. While my room & my mothers' room were quite clean, my brother did find multiple long black hairs on his pillows, in a rolled up blanket, and in the bathtub. Not the worst thing but it did make him uncomfortable. In my room all the windows utilized blinds. Not only did the blinds do little to darken the room enough for sleep, one of the blinds had no handle attached to close it so I had to climb up on a chair to turn the little nub at the top. (Not the safest thing in the world.) The lights right outside my window kept my room quite light, but the traffic was the worst. I was not forewarned about the very close train whistles that repeated several times throughout the night, plus the traffic in general, in particular the frequent motorcycles & loud trucks, and a barking dog that sounded as if it was right outside the front door, which my room was above. If it's sleep you're looking for, definitely don't stay in room 105 & also ask ahead if a quiet room anywhere is possible. The continental breakfast was quite limited though the coffee was good. The cafe attached to the hotel via a connecting door was only open Mon - Friday, a major bummer for Saturday or Sunday visitors. Nearby restaurants were almost non-existent & very few shops available. The one big positive was the employees of the hotel. All were extremely friendly, pleasant, & helpful. Parking is behind the hotel but it was usually full so we had to park in a lot a little farther away & rather close to a local bar/dive kind of a place. I had no choice but to park there but felt uncomfortable doing so. Again, the hotel is charming, mostly clean, coffee good, comfortable bed, & very nice employees but in general, not for me. I need my sleep.

Room Tip: Ask if it's possible to get a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dorothy S
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I ended up in WRJ between meetings and chose the Hotel Coolidge. What fun! Yes, it's truly historic - you are not in a chain hotel - but the bed and room were very comfortable, it was impeccably clean, the staff were so friendly and helpful, breakfast was delicious, and it was an amazing value. There are a number of seriously overpriced hotels in this area, so the Coolidge's value alone would bring me back - but I left the property well rested with delicious coffee and a smile, and look forward to returning. This would be a very good option for Dartmouth College visits or parents' weekend, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#4 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!