“If you don't crave sleep...”
Review of Hotel Coolidge

Hotel Coolidge
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Hotel Coolidge is a quaint, historic, nicely appointed place. While my room & my mothers' room were quite clean, my brother did find multiple long black hairs on his pillows, in a rolled up blanket, and in the bathtub. Not the worst thing but it did make him uncomfortable. In my room all the windows utilized blinds. Not only did the blinds do little to darken the room enough for sleep, one of the blinds had no handle attached to close it so I had to climb up on a chair to turn the little nub at the top. (Not the safest thing in the world.) The lights right outside my window kept my room quite light, but the traffic was the worst. I was not forewarned about the very close train whistles that repeated several times throughout the night, plus the traffic in general, in particular the frequent motorcycles & loud trucks, and a barking dog that sounded as if it was right outside the front door, which my room was above. If it's sleep you're looking for, definitely don't stay in room 105 & also ask ahead if a quiet room anywhere is possible. The continental breakfast was quite limited though the coffee was good. The cafe attached to the hotel via a connecting door was only open Mon - Friday, a major bummer for Saturday or Sunday visitors. Nearby restaurants were almost non-existent & very few shops available. The one big positive was the employees of the hotel. All were extremely friendly, pleasant, & helpful. Parking is behind the hotel but it was usually full so we had to park in a lot a little farther away & rather close to a local bar/dive kind of a place. I had no choice but to park there but felt uncomfortable doing so. Again, the hotel is charming, mostly clean, coffee good, comfortable bed, & very nice employees but in general, not for me. I need my sleep.

Room Tip: Ask if it's possible to get a quiet room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dorothy S

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I ended up in WRJ between meetings and chose the Hotel Coolidge. What fun! Yes, it's truly historic - you are not in a chain hotel - but the bed and room were very comfortable, it was impeccably clean, the staff were so friendly and helpful, breakfast was delicious, and it was an amazing value. There are a number of seriously overpriced hotels in this area, so the Coolidge's value alone would bring me back - but I left the property well rested with delicious coffee and a smile, and look forward to returning. This would be a very good option for Dartmouth College visits or parents' weekend, etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Coolidge while in the area for the Covered Bridges Half Marathon. We had the suite, which was perfect for parents and two kids.
The rooms were clean. We were able to arrange a later departure, so we could shower after the half-marathon. This was very much appreciated!
The staff was super nice.
And we saw the Keurig in the lobby, but did not partake before the race! (see other post about lacking coffee).
If we're in the area again, we'll be sure to come back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were in town for a road race in Woodstock, VT for Sunday. The check in staff was helpful in allowing us to have a late check out on Sunday, so the runner could take a shower. We appreciated this thoughtfulness. The suite we were given had one room with a queen size bed and a second room with a full bed, connected by the bathroom. Both rooms had tvs, but only one room had a window A/C unit, the other had a ceiling and a box fan. The A/C room was comfortable, but the fan room was unbearably hot (the temps over this weekend were in the 90s). The rooms were clean, but need updating desperately and there was definitely a musty smell in both rooms. The bathroom was tiny and cramped, but clean. The showerhead was low and the pressure was only o.k. Hoping to get a good night's sleep before the race was shattered when the band at the bar across the street started playing. Many motorcycles were coming and going and it was like we were right outside with them. We got little to no sleep for a good portion of the night. We should have asked for another room, but we were already unpacked and ready for the morning. I had chosen this hotel because I appreciate older hotels and usually find them charming, and because it was a better value. However, in many ways I wish I had paid more and stayed at a chain. I agree with other reviewers - coffee!! There is nothing in town on a Sunday morning.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the courtyard side. As the bar on the side street side was very loud on Saturday nigh...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Last weekend over 100 of us, aged 9 months to 90 years, gathered at the hotel for a family reunion. It was the perfect spot for merriment - drinks, supper, skits, songs, dancing and a treasure hunt. The hotel provided very good food and service throughout the evening, and manager David Briggs added to the event by answering questions about the hotel's history and offering tours. My husband and I had room 222, and it was spacious, comfortable, clean, and just right for a good night's sleep. On Sunday morning, by prior request, the hotel provided a delicious breakfast from 9 - 11 am, excellent food at a very reasonable price. The hotel itself, with blazing fires in the entrance reception area, windows that open, and elegant staircases and old-world charm, is a wonderful Vermont experience. P.S. For coffee addicts, it's only a 10 minute drive from excellent cappuccino at The Dirt Cowboy in Hanover, NH. All in all, a super place to be based for a weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank eekandboo
Reviewed January 10, 2013

A Sunday stay here was much like being trapped. No coffee , meal service available in hotel or surrounding blocks. Had to drive to find food & coffee also on Monday morning when nothing opened till 7am. Spent Monday driving throughout area just so we would have something to do beside being in room. Huge plus was the yarn shop where we could interact with people. I would of paid $5 for a cup of coffee. They need to get at least something like a kuerig machine & sell individual K cups.Lack of services would make me stay elsewhere if I attend another class/ event at King Arthur Flour. Which is a shame in an area missing services hotel needs to step up to the plate

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Laurie T
dcbwrj, General Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

This guest is correct in reporting the lack of coffee - we have been struggling with the protocols in order to support the lobby cafe which is owned by others. Now we have full coverage by either referring to the cafe or via a Keurig machine that offers free coffee to guests when the cafe is closed. We are also looking at bundling our guest room prices with some form of complimentary breakfast. We hope these issues to be resolved well before summer!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

My friend and I stayed two nights at the Coolidge in mid-November. Rooms were clean and neat and a little retro but a nice change from run of the mill cookie-cutter hotels where everything is the same. We really liked being able to open the windows for fresh air at night. We did not mind small TV as it was not our focus. Just caught one end of season show and turned it off. Loved the fireplace in the lobby and the staircase with classic wooden banister. lots of atmosphere and history. Saturday night the place across the street was a bit loud so the desk clerk found us a room on the courtyard side which was really quiet. Loved the Cafe Boho for lunch on Friday and the jewelry shop and yarn shop visits. All staff was friendly and courteous and very helpful, even securing dinner reservations at the Tiptop Cafe. Breakfast on Sunday you'll have to find elsewhere - not in WRJ! We had a great time and are looking forward to staying next year when we go back to do the same show.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the courtyard side to avoid noise from the bar on the side street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Linda W
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Lebanon
Element Hanover-Lebanon

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!