“Better than expected”

Hampton Inn White River Junction
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a hard time finding reservations for our peak-time tour of Vermont, so were relieved that there was room at least at this Inn. It worked very well for us. The room was a bit more than OK, the breakfast really quite good, and the location served our purpose. We wanted to go to Simon Pearce, the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Park, and Woodstock. We were a bit far out for any of these spots, but it was not too far away. Again, we were so happy to have good accommodations close to where we wanted to be.

The coffee and tea station was open 24/7,which was a real boon. We went to breakfast very early to avoid the rush, it was the best hotel/inn breakfast we had on the entire trip.

No glitches.

Room Tip: Some rooms downstairs were right by the lobby AND the elevator. It was a real privacy issue for thos...

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed one night while visting a friend who was appearing in a show. The hotel was very close to downtown. Clean, quite and a nice hot breakfast included. Price was ago very good.
There are a number of chain hotels in the complex, but Hampton offered the best price.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Driving from Quebec down 89 to Mass, we searched the web for a stopover around the half-way point and lucked in on Hampton Inn White River Junction because the reviews sounded very good. We were very pleased - room was clean, simple, friendly reception, and the breakfast was the clincher! - amazing buffet, with make-your-own waffles, baked goods, fresh fruit salad, wide choice of cereals including hot oatmeal etc etc - quite the spread for a complimentary breakfast. It was a bit tricky to find the hotel entrance because it's closely grouped between a Holiday Inn Express and 2 other big names wedged between I-89 and I-91. But very close to the highway so great for a stop over spot.

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

It was your average Hampton Inn. As always a good continental breakfast and pretty clean. Pretty close to the highway too - although a maze to find amongst the driveways at night (It's not well marked)... But for $170/night they really should have a fan in the shower!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great spot for heading in any direction on day trips in VT and NH. Cozy rooms, satisfying breakfast, great staff and a reasonable price. We had warm cookies and hot cider waiting for us on arrival and it was like it said "Welcome Home".

Room Tip: We had a great room on the first floor. One of the drawbacks was that there was only one elevator si...
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was very disappointed with my visit to this Hampton Inn as it was below average in customer service, cleanliness, and amenities. Upon arrival, my mother and I were greeted by, Vicki, one of the most incompetent front desk attendants I have ever met. After providing my name, I was quickly told that we did not have a reservation. I gave her another name, still nothing. She was quick to ask if we had the right Hampton Inn which I quickly assured her we did. I then had to provide her with the confirmation number, and low and behold, there was our reservation. Vicki then provided us with the amount and asked for payment. We had a gift card in the amount of $500, told her we wanted to use the entire amount, and pay the remainder with the credit card on file. She ran the card, and loudly proclaimed, in front of other customers, that our card had been declined. I had to explain the total amounts to her, AGAIN, and upon receiving the final bill, the correct amounts were still not correctly charged to the two cards. Another more friendly and helpful representative was able to take care of it with no issues.

After our terrible encounter with Vicki, we continued to our first floor room. The room was very small and outdated. Usually Hampton Inns provide queen rooms with two beds. These beds were doubles which was noticeable from the extra extension of the headboard past the edge of the bed. The bathroom was not clean. Hair left from the previous guest, moldy areas on the tub, and what looked to be a blood spot in the grout right in front of the toilet. There was a huge stain on the carpet in front of the bathroom and door to the room. Sheets seemed fairly clean. There was no dirty laundry bag in the closet, the ice machine on the first floor was broken, and the only treadmill in the pitiful workout room was broken as well. One of the side entrances on the first floor was never cleaned from debris and leaves our entire four day stay. There was only one computer in the business center. On a good note, though, the breakfast was fairly good as long as we arrived early to breakfast. After a certain time, items were empty and were not replenished (this was around 8:30am).

One other experience to note is our frustration with the air conditioner/heater. The unit is connected to a sensor, so the air does not run when people are not in the room. This is understandable, but the sensor does not pick up movement from anyone lying in bed. All night long, we would have to throw our arms in the air and wave them frantically for the sensor to pick up our movement for the air/heat to run. The air/heat would never run to the desired temperature but would cut off if no movement was detected even if we were in the room. This made sleeping miserable.

Our first experience with the cleaning staff went well. I met two ladies in the hallway who said hello and seemed friendly. Our room was cleaned Friday morning (still below average), but our beds were made and the towels replenished. Our second encounter with the Saturday morning crew was much different. After our room "cleaning," our dirty towels still remained on the floor, and the cups had not been replenished. Our beds were not made, but the sheets simply pulled back over the bed.
The location of the hotel is great. Close to the interstate for easy access to both north and south Vermont and close to many restaurants and some chain shopping. However, there are many other hotels to choose from with the same location. The Fairfield, the Holiday Inn Express, and the White River Inn were all right next to this Hampton Inn. We would definitely choose one of those hotels on our next visit and would not stay at this Hampton Inn location again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel all together!
3  Thank KeeKeex2
MrsMLSmyth, General Manager at Hampton Inn White River Junction, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

I have recently assumed managment of the Hampton Inn, White River Junction and was totally taken aback that we could have failed so miserably to provide you a Hampton quality stay. We have taken immediate actions to make sure that no one ever has an experience like this at our hotel again and I sincerely apologize to you and your family.

It is clear that we have some major training initiatives ahead and have taken immediate actions with regard to the front desk and housekeeping. The ice machines have been fixed and I thank you for letting us know that we have a problem with the treadmill. Yes, the workout room is sparse and we are embarking on a major renovation in two weeks that will include a new fitness center with state of the art equipment and a seperate weight room as well as a complete renvovation of the lobby. We are also working a very clear set of instructions for setting and using the temperature controls in each guest room.

I know that you were with us for four days and I am sorry that during that time we did not have an opportunity to meet. It would have been very helpful to know about these issues while you were here and at least have had an opportunity to make things right earlier in your stay.

If you visit the White River area in the future, I hope that you will consider being my guest and give us a chance to show you that we can provide you and your family with an experience that you expect from a Hampton Inn.

Please don't hesitate calling me personally if you would like to share your concerns at greater length. I would be pleased to hear from you.

Warm Regards,
Debi Lombardi, CHA
Direct phone: 802-359-6800

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Actually there is a lot to compliment here, but I have to say the pulsating shower was the best I've ever had in a hotel. It really wakes you up! This is just one of the things we were happy with here. I don't know how old it is, but the hotel had a modern look, the room was a good size, the bathroom was large, and the beds were comfortable. The room was full of lights if you wanted it bright. The desk lamps had outlets so you could charge your portable devices (I still don't see this convenience everywhere). The A/C unit was quiet and controlled by a thermostat on the wall. We didn't use the pool, but it looked clean. We did use the computer and printer in the business room, which worked well. The hot/cold breakfast is pretty much standard Hampton Inn. The 5 or 6 employees we ran across during our 3 night stay were all professional, though not necessarily all friendly. I think the only real drawback to this location is that there aren't a lot of services within walking distance. We asked about good restaurants and a pharmacy and were given a sheet with directions, and most suggestions took you across the river into New Hampshire. They were quick jogs - less than 5 minutes, but we did have to drive to everything. Other than that, we were completely satisfied with our stay.

1  Thank Rainydock
Also consider these accommodations in or near White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction
White River Inn and Suites
White River Inn and Suites
#6 of 8 in White River Junction
0 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#4 of 8 in White River Junction
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 8 in White River Junction
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Lebanon
Residence Inn by Marriott Hanover Lebanon

Been to Hampton Inn White River Junction? Share your experiences!