“The epitome of peace.”
Review of Weston Priory

Weston Priory
Reviewed July 8, 2012

In every sense of the word it is peaceful. The music that they produce is gentle and soothing, but with meaning and spirituality behind it. I probably would not recommend it as a place for young children, just out of consideration for the other visitors and the overall atmosphere is too sedate for their energy, and they may get bored easily there. It is important to know that the priory is not necessarily Catholic in character, but rather completely open to all who can appreciate a quiet life of spiritual contemplation.

7  Thank Innomen
There are newer reviews for Weston Priory

Reviewed June 18, 2012

very serene surroundings, nice gift shop.....the prayer service is special

3  Thank bhonoreh
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Context is everything: I am Roman Catholic but not at all of a contemplative nature and often known for edgy, irreverent views.

My daughter had visited the Priory when in college nearby in western Massachusetts and wished to include it on our itinerary for a recent trip through New England and I was more than willing.

We arrived at the gift shop about an hour before closing and unlike many gift shops, this one is worth visiting. I found texts that I wanted for both myself and for my wife, who was not along on the trip, and my daughter found books both for herself and her friends. The artwork and the music CD's were certainly attractive to well.

We attended Vespers (5:15pm service) and then Compline (8pm), in between having a wonderful dinner at the nearby Bryant House restaurant (see review). The Friday Vespers is a full Mass and the dozen or so robed monks, some of them very aged, make the experience a bit like Brother Cadfael (a fictional 12th-century Benedictine) episode updated to contemporary times. The simplicity of the Mass, the solo guitar providing the accompaniment for the music, etc., gave room for calm spiritual reflection. The outside world can be definitely "left behind" if you let it.

Compline is even simpler. One might think of it as "saying 'good night' to God."

The other reviews do a fair job of capturing the serenity of the experience. Bonus points for the sheep and the llama in the pasture behind the priory.

Worth driving somewhat out of the way for.

7  Thank Trismegistus
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My wife and I have visited the Priory twice together and I have been going with Family for years and years. The monks are the most welcoming and peaceful people I know. They are the true definition of Christianity in every sense of the word. The grounds are beautiful and their Eucharist service is thought provoking and different from the Mass I am used to in my home Parish. They have a small gift shop on site that sells handmade items and wood carved Crosses all made by the Brothers and of course their world renowned music recordings. After you hear them sing during their services you will want to buy their CD's My wife and I hope to be back soon.

4  Thank smithnb42
Reviewed October 25, 2011

The Benedictine Monks are warm, kind, and holy while filled with Joy and Peace for our universe. We love listening to their music and song and try to visit 4 times a day, during various hours and set times.

5  Thank Ginger M