“A delightful respite from city life”
Review of Windham Hill Inn

Windham Hill Inn
Reviewed February 22, 2011

As others have noted, this inn is off the beaten track and one of the most peaceful places I've stayed at. As a dedicated Trip Advisor user, I read through the reviews -- the mostly great ones and few bad ones -- and while I can't comment on the situation two+ years ago, I can say we had an excellent stay in all respects, and I have to admit to being fairly fussy.

The room (Taft) was lovely, comfortable and immaculate. And the bed was really comfortable. The staff came in to make up the room while we were at breakfast and did a turndown while we were out for the evening, so it was always a pleasure to come back in to a tidied space. The soaking tub was delightful after a day of snowshoeing and x-country skiing, and I loved the round-the-clock coffee and tea -- a great bonus for early risers (good cookies, too). Some mentioned dated decor, but I found the opposite -- it's like a wonderful old country house in England, with soothing colors and comfy chairs, but if one is looking for high gloss or laura-ashley like chintz, this isn't it (thankfully!) The linens were fine and if I had one nit, it was the towels, which were a bit scratchy and rough. (Oddly, this was only the bath towels; hand towels were 100% cotton and much softer, so maybe they're using up an old supply of larger towels.)

The property was lovely and heavenly for snowshoeing; we brought our own, but they have a great supply. It's very challenging terrain as they're at the top of the hill and the trails go down to a stream, but beautiful and great exercise. One could probably spend an entire weekend there and almost never leave, except for lunch, given the great hiking and cozy spaces to read, nap, play a game, have a glass of wine, etc. Massages are also available and the one I had was terrific. As others noted, cell phone service isn't really available -- but my BB worked (not Verizon?) and we had no trouble with wireless internet access in our room.

Katje is wonderful as almost everyone noted, as are Bonnie and Peggy and virtually everyone we met -- friendly, helpful and warm -- and good suggestions for other dining spots, places to visit and so on.

Regarding dining, our meal was expensive but mostly because we splurged on a good bottle of wine; $60 for a three-course meal (with dessert) seems more than reasonable to a New Yorker, but may not to someone else. The food was quite good, but a bit uneven. My main dish (pheasant) was a bit dry, but my husband's (pork chop) good. We had two good breakfasts and one less so, and while the portions aren't huge (the scramble does seem to be one egg), it was more than adequate, and they're happy to bring extra toast or anything else you want.

Mostly, though, it was just so relaxing and we've already booked for next winter (one of their three loft suites which are quite spectacular in space and views). Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 9, 2011

We did not stay, we came for the $65 prix fixe dinner. Pros: Lovely VT inn, beautiful setting, friendly staff, good service, great wine list and knowledgeable sommelier. Cons: watered down martini, music too loud in the slightly cold & drafty dining room. lobster bisque the worst we've had, worse than frozen from the grocery store. poached pears in the otherwise good salad tasted like canned pears. ravioli tasted as if it came from wonton skins not real pasta. fish and veggies undercooked, and the souffle was bland and eggy. with wine and tip, our $265 dinner for 2 was a complete disappointment.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2010NHtraveler
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We had a wonderful time @ the Windham. The dinners were excellent. It didn't even seem cold in the dead of the Vermont Winter. Windham gave us a bottle of Champagne and free dinner for our engagement and it was the best time of our lives together. We have the stay on camcorder and it is a great place to be in Love.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2010

We stayed for the Thanksgiving holiday and had a very nice time. This restaurant was excellent and the property is beautiful.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Stayed in this hotel while we were on a trip to the east coast went to the Windham Hill to relax for 3 nights we looked at a couple in the area and so glad we chose this hotel. We stay in the White Barn for first 2 nights and had to move to the main house for the last night as the hotel was fully booked, although the main house room was lovely we missed the lovely balcony and views from the first room. The food was very good, loved the choice for breakfast, all cooked fresh. The evening meal was very good and the service was very good. The innkeeper Katja was never far away and (never seemed to have any time off) nothing was any trouble to her she was very helpful and very friendly. A big thank you to all the staff who made our stay very relaxing and enjoyable. The are lovely walks around the hotel, we where there in the Fall but the winter would be very romantic. I miss those views from the balcony.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2010

A stunning Inn set in a fabulous location miles from anywhere. The views are spectacular, the staff are very friendly and their service is excellent. The food was fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2010

For most people, the most important part of their lives are the relationships that they hold dear, whether partner, family or friends. Countless studies reinforce the importance of relationships to happiness. Windham Hill is a place where you can take your relationship for a tuneup. The Inn is designed to focus all of your energy and attention on the person you are with, without bells and whistles and other distractions. I don't intend to say that it is not luxurious, but that the high level of comfort and attention and service are so understated and invisible as to allow you the illusion of being alone in that setting with your companion.
I stayed there for a weekend recently with my husband on our way back from dropping both of our kids in college for the first time. Empty nest. I arrived with a heavy heart and little anticipation and wondered how I could pretend to be happy. Our first glimpse as we drove down a rustic Vermont road was of a smallish house with a large white barn to one side looking like a large private home. We entered and were welcomed by the Innkeeper, Katja, and shown around. Small rooms filled with antiques furthered the feeling of being in a private home and not a meretricious hotel that demands attention from you. A small cozy bar occupies the centre of the house, with multiple comfortable sitting rooms with window seats and reading material. Local cheese is set out at 5pm to enjoy with your cocktail before dinner. I felt like I was in a country house hotel like many I visited growing up in Ireland, hushed, refined and elegant. I felt comforted and at home. An outside deck commands a view of the green mountains. Afternoon tea was set up in one of the rooms with delicious scones and cookies. The dining room looked over a bucolic Vermont pond surrounded by leafy forest and mountains.
It seemed as if Katja was waiting just for us and she welcomed us warmly and took us to our room in the White Barn, a comfortable fireplace room with a deck looking over the expanse of sweeping green valley to the mountains beyond. We had top level amenities, plushy robes, slippers, Moulton Brown toiletries, very comfortable bedding etc. After settling in we retreated with relief into the comfort of our room. During our entire stay, we saw very little of the other guests except at dinner and breakfast. Yet everytime we ventured into a public area Katja was there and smiling to see if she could do anything for us. The staff that run this Inn must live underground and surface quickly through tunnels because we never saw them. Our room was always made up when we returned from breakfast and attended to at various times during the day when we were out but there was never a knock on the door. So unintrusive. A bottle of Champagne that I could not muster the effort to enjoy on the first day was re-iced continually without our requesting it and kept at the ready in our room until we felt like celebrating. The Inn comforts you at every turn and allows you time and privacy with your companion.
We had booked the culinary package and found it be very good value. The food is first rate with produce and herbs just picked in the garden. The tasting menu hit many of my buttons, foie gras, Inn smoked duck breast and dessert that sings of summer. I felt the heaviness lift from my heart and began to enjoy the beginning of a life that was all about us.
The swimming pool is peaceful and surrounded with the sounds of birds and other wildlife. It is designed to look like part of the natural setting not a noisy, bright blue, splashy area that smells of chlorine. It was a great place to read, nap or stargaze. We set off on a very challenging hike through the woods to a secret waterfall and forest pool that was diminished by the dry summer but was still worth hiking to. When we left Katja gave us a bag of their wonderful granola that I am eking out to try to preserve the memories of a wonderful stay. Those memories add to my happiness every morning. Will just have to return for ski season.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Four Columns Inn
Four Columns Inn
#1 of 5 in Newfane
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Windham Hill Inn? Share your experiences!