“family ski vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Paw House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Rutland
The Paw House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Rutland B&B and Inns
philly
“family ski vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2007

What a great dog friendly place to stay! We were able to ski all day and take comfort in knowing our dog was comfortable and being looked after. After coming home from a day at the slopes the last thing we would want to due is take our high energy boxer for a long walk. No problem, Bethany and the others will take your dog out for playtime if you consent. When we got home each day he was wiped out and ready to chill.
The inn has nice rustic wide plank hardwood floors so they ask you to leave your shoes at the door. Some people might not like that but it’s my house policy too so we were glad to accommodate. We stayed in the Chase which was a spacious room with a nice view. The bathroom was a bit small but these old houses weren’t designed to have a bathroom in each room, so I’m impressed they managed one at all. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast, not only is it convenient but it’s quite good. Everyone there is friendly and quite helpful should you have any questions. Oh, and go to Little Harry’s for dinner they have an incredible menu!!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank landloched

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2007

The accommodation itself is just OK. We had a new room the one night and this was pretty good but close to the door so a little noisy. The host and manager were very accomodating and friendly. It really is a great place to stay if you have a dog especially given that they have a place to put him/her while you're out all day. The off leash area is great and you don't need to worry about holes in the fence. There are also some great walks over the back of the inn. Overall it's a pretty good place. I'm a stylish, boutique hotel fan but try finding one that accommodates you and your dog as well as this place. It would have been nice to have had a choice at breakfast. If I wanted to visit Killington again then I would definitely stay here.

Stayed December 2006
1 Thank Sam B
Purdys, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Paw House in August 2006 with our three pups (sorry for the late review!). We could not have been more satisfied with the entire experience. From the care and concern of the owners, to the setting of the B&B itself, and the hospitality extended to bipeds and quadrupeds alike, we all enjoyed ourselves immensely. It was very easy to integrate into the rhythm of the inn and area, and our dogs quickly grew accustomed to the activities and the comfort of Mario's Place, which is the building dedicated to the dogs and their care. The area has a lot to offer for both dogs and their parents, whether together of on their own for the day, and we even did a round of training with their resident expert. This is a great place, and we are coming back!
Pete K
Purdys, NY

Stayed November 2006
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2006

From the moment we arrived the owner Mitch was so friendly. He greeted us and our dogs. Gave us a tour of the grounds and showed us our rooms. For an Inn that allows dogs...this place is spotless! In the morning we would take the dogs up the Mountain in the back of the property and let them get a little exercise. Then we fed them in Mario's Play House. In Mario's my dogs had their own kennel, water, and they had a tv with Animal Planet on. This break gave us an opportunity to go to the dining room to eat. Yes, breakfast is included and it is great! Really good coffee too.
After breakfast we took the dogs out to the fenced in agility/play area. They played while we planned our dog focused day. This trip was all about the dogs. It is their annual Birthday Trip. Planning the day was easy because Mitch had given us all kinds of information about the area. So we were off to the reservoir for pup swimming and hiking.
Later that night we did leave the exhausted dogs in the playhouse while we went out to eat. Little Harry's is awesome. Let me tell you they have some good resturants near by. We enjoyed our stay....we want to go back! We also meet this great dog trainer Nathan....book a class with him! He is so good!
Thanks, Mitch Hope to see you next year.
Sally, Bailey and Lexi

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2006

Just returned form The Paw House Inn. This is such a fun place to go with your dog(s). The breakfasts are superb and the rooms, grounds and kennel are immaculately clean. Its a unique place in that everyone there is traveling with their dog. It's not just a dog-friendly place, it's dog-oriented. My dog and I enjoyed hiking, taking agility classes and running around and playing outdoors. We stayed for a weekend, next time we go back it will be longer. If you are looking to have fun with your dog, The Paw House Inn is the place to go! My dog and I loved it...we felt welcome from the time we arrived to the time we left. We're already looking forward to returning. Very highly recommended in all regards.

• Liked — able to bring my dog/dog oriented atmosphere
  • Tips/Secrets — go! ...and bring your dog!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

My husband and I returned yesterday from our anniversary weekend away in Vermont at the Paw House Inn. We were made to feel extremely comfortable immediately upon arrival by the owner, Mitch. He is a sincere, kind person who seemed to not be able to do enough to make our stay pleasant. In addition to Mitch, the employees of the inn were friendly and appeared to be on top of everything. Unfortunately we were not able to meet Mitch's wife, Jen, due to her being sick.

In reading some of the other reviews of the Paw House Inn, I find the complaints about it ridiculous. All of the policies are posted on the inn's website, so there should be no surprises about certain rules when checking in. The reason there all rules is due to the fact that the innkeepers want to make your stay as pleasant as possible without disrupting other guests, and to help to maintain the tidy facilities and grounds so everyone can have an enjoyable time.

The inn itself is quaint and charming, built in the 18th century, with wide board, original wood floors (I believe one of the reasons for the no shoes policy - and they vacuum twice a day - so wearing socks around is fine and makes you feel like you're at home!). Also, there are some interesting antique pieces that bring warmth to the inn, along with photos of previous guests and their dogs. The entire place is dog-themed and made us feel very welcome as dog owners.

We stayed in the Rin Tin Tin room, which was very clean and decorated appropriately! Although we were offered a key to our room and my husband accepted it, we never used it the whole weekend. We felt safe about leaving our belongings in the room while we ventured out for the day, or for dinner in the evening.

Mario's Playhouse is a clean, well-kept kennel facility - perfect for leaving your dog when plans do not call for a canine companion. In reference to a review, why would someone complain about cement floors in a kennel? Would one rather a rug, so odors and who knows what else can permeate in it? As the website states, bring your dog bed with you, as there is a raised bed in each run to place your own bed on for your dog's comfort. Our pup was quite content in Mario's Playhouse and we made sure we left him with his own food/water bowls and toys. The owners also provide many toys for the dogs to play with, so if you forget your own, no need to worry. There is also a television in the playhouse with the Animal Planet channel on!

The grounds were neat and well-kept, with plenty of room for dogs to run and romp and play ball. Using the hiking trail sheet that Mitch provided us as a guide, we took a lovely hike over the brook and through the wooded trail - we even saw 2 deer! One thing I must comment on is the reviews of people who appear to expect the innkeepers to supply them with every imaginable thing to do or see in the area. We were provided with the hiking trail sheet with many areas to explore, and the restaurant sheet, listing many dining facilities - and we thought that was fantastic! Come on some of you reviewers out there, be adults, do your homework and plan your own activities prior to your trip! Don't expect the innkeepers to hold your hand during your entire stay! Furthermore, Mitch would've been more than happy to answer any questions or give activity/shopping/dining ideas not on the sheets!

The inn is in an area that is close to many activities, including shopping, outdoor recreation and scenic drives. Additionally, there are so many restaurant options nearby - from take-out food to upscale dining, the choices are endless!

Our favorite part of our stay was Mitch's creative, delicious breakfasts. Our first morning, a pre-entree of hand-picked local apples with raisins, walnuts and local clove honey was served to us. Then, when our entree of pumpkin pancakes and turkey bacon came out, Mitch himself presented them to us with a lit candle on each of our plates while he sang "happy anniversary" to us! Now how personal and welcoming is that??? We felt honored that he took the time to do that for us. Not to mention the pancakes were to die for! On the second morning, we had yummy cranberry muffins with pineapple slices on the side, then a heavenly autumn breakfast which consisted of poached eggs with a horseradish sauce and fresh tomatoes over cinnamon bread with turkey sausage. I may not be remembering all the ingredients of every meal, but what I do remember is that every morsel was fantastic!

All in all, my husband and I had a wonderful time at the Paw House Inn. Our dog also enjoyed himself and made many cool doggie friends! From Mitch's warm personality to the inn's charm, cleanliness and convenience to activities, we were impressed and plan on returning to this dog and person friendly Vermont getaway!

• Liked — It was very friendly and welcoming!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Tips/Secrets — Read the inn's policies on its website prior to staying
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Seymour, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2006

As you can probably gather from the title, this was our first time vacationing with our dogs (but not our first B&B.) We had a great time, and a large part of that was due to the Paw House Inn. I read many of the other reviews, and I must say that there are some very critical people in this world. I'd like to try and defend the inn as a very good place to stay...

The house itself is very neat, clean and cozy. Is it opulent? No, but why would you expect this from a "Dog-friendly" inn?

Some reviewers had problems with the rules of the Inn. How uptight are you? Why is it a problem to take off your shoes?

Some had a problem with not being able to lock your room. I can understand how this would bother some. But hey, this is Vermont.

I read several reviews complaining about the dog area. I will attest that these seem to have been corrected. There is a very workable lock on the dog play area. There were no muddy areas or holes in the fence during our stay.

As far as the complaints about the dog kennel... It's a kennel. They are dogs... I don't see the problem. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with keeping your dog kenneled for a short time. It made it very convenient for us to go out to dinner during the evenings. The kennel is warm, clean, and has a television. I wish I was as well taken care of. Yes the floors are cement, which is why, as suggested, we brought our dogs' blankets and pillows. As far as not providing toys, bowls, etc., in the kennel, wouldn't you rather bring your own anyway? I know our dogs seem happier with their own toys, etc.

The "playpen" was a highlight of our dog's stay. They romped for hours in the fenced in enclosure. They ran up the a-frame, jumped over the hurdles, and ran through the tunnel.

The owners Mitch and Jen were beyond friendly. The breakfasts served were first rate. The service was excellent, and we never felt neglected for anything.

My wife and I would like to thank Mitch and Jen, and recommend that you stay with your dogs at the Paw House Inn if you're in the area.

• Liked — Mitch and Jen
  • Disliked — Bed could be more comfortable...
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a positive friendly attitude!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 12 in Rutland
Mendon Mountainview Lodge

Been to The Paw House Inn? Share your experiences!