“Great Stay!”
Review of The Paw House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Rutland
The Paw House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Rutland B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We came here on a Living Social deal and had a wonderful stay here at the inn. Mitch is a wonderful cook and breakfast was well presented and delicious!!! Our dog Bonnie stayed in the kennel while we went out for dinner both nights and was just fine. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and well appointed. They even have a bed for your dog in the rooms if they want to sleep in them. The host was very helpful when asked about area attractions.

Dinner at Little Harry's was wonderful on Monday night. I wish I didn't have a cold so I could have enjoyed the flavors more. We brought Key Lime pie home for later on in the night. They have a refrigerator you can put snacks in downstairs.

Room Tip: We had the Shakespeare's room and it was very roomy!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Paw House Inn is definitely one of the best B&B that you and your dogs would ever experience. First of all, Mitch and Jenn (owner of the inn), Stanley and Brooklyn (their dogs) treat you as if you are a part of their family. They welcomed us with a very generous gift bag (their handmade doggie treats, homemade sugar roasted macadamia nuts, a local maple syrup bottled by their friend, paw house inn mug cup, etc.), served a delicious breakfast prepared with all local ingredients, and played with our dogs when we were out skiing. Our dogs loved their dog park with all fun dog-training tube, seesaw, etc. Their spacious land is huge enough for any kinds of dogs to run around and their daycare facility is very functional and professional with a dog shower tub, stereo, etc. Both the daycare facility and the inn are super clean and decorated very well. We would def come back here for the next Killington trip!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shu S
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Spot was our first room, (we were only going to stay one night).
This was a larger room with a private fenced deck and sleeper sofa. We absolutely loved it. That night ski conditions were so good we called to stay another night. Mitch the Inn keeper was very accommodating and helpful. The reason why I chose to write this review is because of previous reviews of our next room.
Our next room was Rin Tin Tin.
Considered by the hotel as a smaller room we were still able to accommodate three adults and two dogs comfortably.
We were thankful for there hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Vann2
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My girlfriend, yellow lab and I just returned from a weekend at The Paw House and it was awesome. Our room ( Bad Dog - no reflection on Trace we were assured ) was bright and roomy. The breakfasts were yummy and huge - we even skipped lunch on Saturday because we were still full from breakfast. Mitch and Murphy were friendly and helpful. They helped us plan are weekend and gave great recommendations for dinner. We loved Little Harry's . Trace had the time of his life -playing in the park with Stanley and another guest dog -Fritz. Hiking off leash in Green Mountains. He even went for a swim -even though it was quite chilly. Although we were somewhat reluctant at fist about the Playhouse , we grew to appreciate the freedom it gave us to go out to dinner ( it was my girlfriends birthday ) And Trace was so exhausted from all the fresh air and activity that he just slept until we came back. Although we did not use the Playhouse ( except for breakfast ) I see how it could be useful to people skiing and stuff. The dogs are comfortable , safe and warm and the staff will take them out and play with them for no additional cost - I think that is awesome. We will be back in February to take advantage of this ! See ya soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FEETDOWNOUTFITTERS
MJDVermont, Owner at The Paw House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Serving our guests is a privilege that sometimes we take for granted. It is for this reason that we wanted to take the time to acknowledge our gratitude for for this positive review and many others within TripAdvisor. As an owner-operated business it is our goal to provide everyone with a similar experience.

Thank you for reading our response to the above review.

Mitch and Jen
Owners of The Paw House Inn

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just got home after a wonderful weekend stay at The Paw House with my girlfriend and our lab, Kasey. We were greeted by Mitch upon arrival who made us feel right at home, but the real star of the show was Stanley. We stayed in "Bad Dog", (hoping that Kasey didn't think it was her fault!), which was great and just what we needed after a day of hiking.

We enjoyed breakfast with out host Murphy, who makes the most unbelievable muffins! Mitch gave us some ideas for things to do in the area. Don't miss the Farmers Market on Saturdays! Murphy steered us towards Table 24, a local restaurant, for dinner and drinks. The atmosphere was great and the food was even better. We're looking forward to coming back soon to enjoy the snow!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul Z
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Please read entire review carefully. We stayed here the first week of Oct 2012. We rented the Bark Ave Suite. It is a big room yes, but that is it. The room is run down. The room is stuffy, no windows to open except the screen door but because of the porch you get no air movement. It was warm during our stay and the AC was filthy. It took me 30 minutes to clean the dust and filth out of it. The fan in the bathroom was the same condition, gross. The towels we received had stains on them, yuck! The room and Inn are run down. The dog play area is over grown with weeds and the equipment is filthy and not safe in my honest opinion. The play tunnel is disgusting. I do believe this place may have been, back in the day, nice place to stay but it is run down now and needss much work. The property has overgrown shrubs and just looks yucky. The playhouse is not secure either; anybody can walk right in there, not good or safe. It is run down as well and smelled musty. The kennels are filthy.
Upon our arrival Mitch was nice but in a weird way. I told him we were thinking of staying here next year at the same time, yes this was before we even went into our room, my mistake, please read on. He asked if he should use the same card I gave him to check in. I said no, I will give you another card for that. I didn't even give him exact dates we wanted. Well, when we got home I saw he had charged the card I told him not to use. In fact, he charged $700.00 for a deposit? WTF - usually one night stay for a deposit, right, not this time? He didn't even have the common courtesy to come to us while we were there and let us know he made the charge, suspect? I emailed him and said to cancel immediately. He replied back saying "he would minus their $30.00 admin fee"? What the heck, he charged it without my permission and now wants to keep 30 dollars. I filed a complaint with the BBB to get my full refund. During our complaint with the BBB Mitch informed me he would repay our $30.00 fee. Well, good thing I looked at our card statement. He actually kept $70.00, not the $30.00 he told me. He was trying to keep even more, suspect? I do not get it! Honesty is not their best policy. Please be careful when wanting to stay here, beware! I would not recommend. Please be careful!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank Greg S
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The title pretty much sums it up. Why drive all the way here to leave my dog in a kennel surrounded by anxious barking dogs? Yes, the have a tiny TV in there playing dog themed movies and optional music--but does it really matter when all the dogs are barking..and its still a kennel!
If the weather isn't beautiful, you must put your dog in the kennel to eat breakfast.
If you want to walk around the house with your dog- he/she must be leashed.
If there is a fire alarm beeping every five minutes-you must call the owner who lives off site,in the middle of the night- to not get answer, which leads to you a seek and find through a farm house at 3AM.
When you nicely/have jokinky mention these at breakfast (the three course is a dry muffin, a piece of quiche, and something else) you get the cliche line and attitude..."Seriously, This is our livelihood, we do your best, everyday 24/7" Well obviously not- or your best really isn't enough.
Other people staying there said the same thing, (at least 2 other couples), but most people don't want to be rude and say something. Either did we while there-but I feel like you must say something, at least here, so people know what to expect before going.

The main thing was- its a kennel. Why not change the name of Mario's playhouse to onsite boarding- which is still appealing to some, but not confusing and deceitful to others?
PS- if dogs aren't allowed in the dining room, then maybe the owners dog should follow their own rules too.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank PBJennifer
MJDVermont, Owner at The Paw House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Yikes.

This is just awful to have a review like this. Even when we get a bad review, there is opportunity for us to do something to be better for the next people. That is not the case here.

We are available 24 hours per day and would never intentionally not answer a call in the middle of the night. The thought of intentionally ignoring any guest request - large or small - is absurd.

We make no apologies about requiring dogs to be leashed when inside the inn. Because when dogs are unleashed in confined spaces, many are attacked. This rule is common sense. It is irresponsible to even suggest otherwise. Further, we provide a large off-leash park for the dogs to enjoy our facility freely.

We also make no apologies about Mario's Playhouse. The facility provides an alternative to leaving your dogs locked up, alone in a private guest room. Our primary focus for the facility is cleanliness and safety. Guests need not use the Playhouse - some make other arrangements. The Playhouse is there for your convenience. Our website clearly spells our our policies. They are created with more than 10 years of input from our guests - for everyone's safety and convenience. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please email or call us.

We are a family business and do our best every day. Sometimes we fall short. While our inn is clearly not for these folks, it is our hope that most people appreciate our services and our effort. If you are reading this review with the possibility of visiting us, we hope you consider the many positive (and even some negative reviews) to best judge the level of our service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Rutland
#6 of 12 in Rutland
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#7 of 12 in Rutland

Been to The Paw House Inn? Share your experiences!