“Awesome !”
Review of The Paw House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Rutland
The Paw House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Rutland B&B and Inns
Frenchtown, New Jersey
“Awesome !”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My girlfriend, yellow lab and I just returned from a weekend at The Paw House and it was awesome. Our room ( Bad Dog - no reflection on Trace we were assured ) was bright and roomy. The breakfasts were yummy and huge - we even skipped lunch on Saturday because we were still full from breakfast. Mitch and Murphy were friendly and helpful. They helped us plan are weekend and gave great recommendations for dinner. We loved Little Harry's . Trace had the time of his life -playing in the park with Stanley and another guest dog -Fritz. Hiking off leash in Green Mountains. He even went for a swim -even though it was quite chilly. Although we were somewhat reluctant at fist about the Playhouse , we grew to appreciate the freedom it gave us to go out to dinner ( it was my girlfriends birthday ) And Trace was so exhausted from all the fresh air and activity that he just slept until we came back. Although we did not use the Playhouse ( except for breakfast ) I see how it could be useful to people skiing and stuff. The dogs are comfortable , safe and warm and the staff will take them out and play with them for no additional cost - I think that is awesome. We will be back in February to take advantage of this ! See ya soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FEETDOWNOUTFITTERS
MJDVermont, Owner at The Paw House Inn, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Serving our guests is a privilege that sometimes we take for granted. It is for this reason that we wanted to take the time to acknowledge our gratitude for for this positive review and many others within TripAdvisor. As an owner-operated business it is our goal to provide everyone with a similar experience.

Thank you for reading our response to the above review.

Mitch and Jen
Owners of The Paw House Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Croton
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just got home after a wonderful weekend stay at The Paw House with my girlfriend and our lab, Kasey. We were greeted by Mitch upon arrival who made us feel right at home, but the real star of the show was Stanley. We stayed in "Bad Dog", (hoping that Kasey didn't think it was her fault!), which was great and just what we needed after a day of hiking.

We enjoyed breakfast with out host Murphy, who makes the most unbelievable muffins! Mitch gave us some ideas for things to do in the area. Don't miss the Farmers Market on Saturdays! Murphy steered us towards Table 24, a local restaurant, for dinner and drinks. The atmosphere was great and the food was even better. We're looking forward to coming back soon to enjoy the snow!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul Z
Dover
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Please read entire review carefully. We stayed here the first week of Oct 2012. We rented the Bark Ave Suite. It is a big room yes, but that is it. The room is run down. The room is stuffy, no windows to open except the screen door but because of the porch you get no air movement. It was warm during our stay and the AC was filthy. It took me 30 minutes to clean the dust and filth out of it. The fan in the bathroom was the same condition, gross. The towels we received had stains on them, yuck! The room and Inn are run down. The dog play area is over grown with weeds and the equipment is filthy and not safe in my honest opinion. The play tunnel is disgusting. I do believe this place may have been, back in the day, nice place to stay but it is run down now and needss much work. The property has overgrown shrubs and just looks yucky. The playhouse is not secure either; anybody can walk right in there, not good or safe. It is run down as well and smelled musty. The kennels are filthy.
Upon our arrival Mitch was nice but in a weird way. I told him we were thinking of staying here next year at the same time, yes this was before we even went into our room, my mistake, please read on. He asked if he should use the same card I gave him to check in. I said no, I will give you another card for that. I didn't even give him exact dates we wanted. Well, when we got home I saw he had charged the card I told him not to use. In fact, he charged $700.00 for a deposit? WTF - usually one night stay for a deposit, right, not this time? He didn't even have the common courtesy to come to us while we were there and let us know he made the charge, suspect? I emailed him and said to cancel immediately. He replied back saying "he would minus their $30.00 admin fee"? What the heck, he charged it without my permission and now wants to keep 30 dollars. I filed a complaint with the BBB to get my full refund. During our complaint with the BBB Mitch informed me he would repay our $30.00 fee. Well, good thing I looked at our card statement. He actually kept $70.00, not the $30.00 he told me. He was trying to keep even more, suspect? I do not get it! Honesty is not their best policy. Please be careful when wanting to stay here, beware! I would not recommend. Please be careful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Greg S
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The title pretty much sums it up. Why drive all the way here to leave my dog in a kennel surrounded by anxious barking dogs? Yes, the have a tiny TV in there playing dog themed movies and optional music--but does it really matter when all the dogs are barking..and its still a kennel!
If the weather isn't beautiful, you must put your dog in the kennel to eat breakfast.
If you want to walk around the house with your dog- he/she must be leashed.
If there is a fire alarm beeping every five minutes-you must call the owner who lives off site,in the middle of the night- to not get answer, which leads to you a seek and find through a farm house at 3AM.
When you nicely/have jokinky mention these at breakfast (the three course is a dry muffin, a piece of quiche, and something else) you get the cliche line and attitude..."Seriously, This is our livelihood, we do your best, everyday 24/7" Well obviously not- or your best really isn't enough.
Other people staying there said the same thing, (at least 2 other couples), but most people don't want to be rude and say something. Either did we while there-but I feel like you must say something, at least here, so people know what to expect before going.

The main thing was- its a kennel. Why not change the name of Mario's playhouse to onsite boarding- which is still appealing to some, but not confusing and deceitful to others?
PS- if dogs aren't allowed in the dining room, then maybe the owners dog should follow their own rules too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank PBJennifer
MJDVermont, Owner at The Paw House Inn, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Yikes.

This is just awful to have a review like this. Even when we get a bad review, there is opportunity for us to do something to be better for the next people. That is not the case here.

We are available 24 hours per day and would never intentionally not answer a call in the middle of the night. The thought of intentionally ignoring any guest request - large or small - is absurd.

We make no apologies about requiring dogs to be leashed when inside the inn. Because when dogs are unleashed in confined spaces, many are attacked. This rule is common sense. It is irresponsible to even suggest otherwise. Further, we provide a large off-leash park for the dogs to enjoy our facility freely.

We also make no apologies about Mario's Playhouse. The facility provides an alternative to leaving your dogs locked up, alone in a private guest room. Our primary focus for the facility is cleanliness and safety. Guests need not use the Playhouse - some make other arrangements. The Playhouse is there for your convenience. Our website clearly spells our our policies. They are created with more than 10 years of input from our guests - for everyone's safety and convenience. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please email or call us.

We are a family business and do our best every day. Sometimes we fall short. While our inn is clearly not for these folks, it is our hope that most people appreciate our services and our effort. If you are reading this review with the possibility of visiting us, we hope you consider the many positive (and even some negative reviews) to best judge the level of our service.
Atlanta
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I found The Paw House Inn via dogfriendly.com, and since we usually plan our travel to accomodate our two furkids..., this place seemed more than logical. We drove up from Georgia (1200mi one-way) and it was totally and absolutely worth it! Upon arriving we were greated by the owner, Mitch, who was very sincere and helpful in showing us around the inn and grounds. The inn is an upkept 1870's farmhouse with cozy furnishings and a thematic yet tasteful decor. We stayed in "The Chase", a clean, comfortably spacious room with a wonderful view of the mountain ridgeline. Mitch gives you a selective breakfast menu, with fresh cooked meals which contain local ingredients, and if you choose to dine on the backporch your doggies are welcome to join. The inn grounds are very attractive and well maintained with pretty flora & fauna, a fenced-in dog park and walking trails. Lastly, there is a 24hr doggie-daycare facility (Mario's Playhouse). Although I have nothing against boarding (for reasonable amounts of time), we chose to take our pups along with us. There are tons of great scenic hiking trails, art galleries, antique shops, mom n pop's, roadside attractions for photo opps, etc etc.
If you're going to travel with your best friend/s, The Paw House is the place. Thank you Mitch, Jen and Stanley for making The Paw House a reality for dog-lovers! Its quite a drive, but something tells me we'll be back!

Room Tip: Call prior to booking if you need more details. Mitch and Jen are very helpful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Liedle
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was our first vacation traveling with our two dogs. Although prior reviews were generally positive, we really didn't know what to expect. The Paw House Inn turned out to be just what we wanted and needed. The room (Good Dog) was cozy and comfortable. Both canines and humans slept well. Mitch's breakfasts were delicious and made to order, vegan for me. Most people ate on the porch with their dogs, but we chose to eat inside, taking turns in the dining room, while the other stayed in the room with the mutts (you're not allowed to, and shouldn't be, leaving them alone there). They have doggie day care, but we were not comfortable going anywhere without our "babies." But it's a nice service for those who want and/or need it.

Our dogs got to play with other dogs in their fenced-in area, and we all went hiking on a trail that starts on the property and provides gorgeous views of the mountains and fall foliage. The inn itself is decorated with a dog theme throughout, a little scruffy, but then again, you wouldn't want anything precious for the dogs to damage.

I walk dogs at a no-kill shelter near our home, and I've already recommended the place to two of my fellow walkers. My friends and co-workers, many of whom have canine companions, will hear about this wonderful place (and have to look at my photos).

Mitch and Jen are warm and friendly hosts, with lots of recommendations for places to eat, to hike, to explore. They were the best part of what came to be a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: The stairs to the second floor are high and steep. None of us have mobility problems, but our bigge...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blockster
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We spent a wonderful night here with our Great Pyrenees, Keira. They were all excited to meet her and treated her like royalty ( and her humans too)! We stayed in the room named "Spot" and thought it was a great room. A comfy queen sized bed, a sitting area and our own private porch with chairs and a swing. Even though it rained the whole weekend, we were still able to sit out and enjoy the porch and the beautiful scenery. Keira had her own bed too! There is a fenced in play yard for the dogs with agility equipment, but Keira was on vacation and did not wish to exercise! She did however, enjoy walking on the hiking trails. And oh, what a view! The highlight of our trip was sitting on the back porch Sunday morning eating a delicious breakfast made by Murphy. We could have sat there for hours. The inn is clean and all areas are dog-friendly. The staff there is friendly, helpful and always smiling. Mitch, the owner, goes out of his way to welcome you. We did not use Mario's Playhouse, but we did tour it and noticed that there was already a spot set up for Keira if needed. Can't wait to come back!!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 12 in Rutland

Been to The Paw House Inn? Share your experiences!