“Overrated and over priced”

Nonna's Restaurant at the Inn At Sawmill Farm
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Join us at Nonna's - The ONLY Italian restaurant in the Valley- for great Italian cuisine in a casually elegant and friendly atmosphere. Enjoy Executive Chef Jeff Collins' masterful northern and southern Italian classics along with fresh seafood brought in daily.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overrated and over priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

The food was fine at this restaurant. But that was it. Just fine. The reviews were great and we were all disappointed. It is also expensive to buy the kids pasta for $15 plus dollars. They offered half sizes for $9 but the portions were so small that we had to order more. Our food was average and not memorable. We had a huge table to ourselves and no one was there. So that made it fun and the kids were able to run around and sing with the two live person band. But I would not run there for the food. This area has so many cheap places with better food for families.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Denise R
Sawmill_Nonnas, Manager at Nonna's Restaurant at the Inn At Sawmill Farm, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
As a finer dining establishment we do not have a children's menu. We do the best we can to accommodate children with smaller portions but if you are looking for a "cheap" restaurant then there are other establishments we can recommend.

Kissimmee, Florida
“Pleasant Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

This was my first time dining at Nonna's and I had a pleasant experience. The service was great and the food was delicious. It was a very slow evening so the staff was attentive. I ordered the ceasar salad and penne with vodka sauce. Warm bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar was served before the entrees. The pasta was cooked al dente which I liked and the vodka sauce was not too heavy. The inn was decorated for Christmas and it was quite beautiful.

• Visited December 2013
connecticut
“If you are looking for italian food...look elsewhere!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Sorry guys I love vermont and i try to support the local businesses as best i can but This is the worst Italian food I have ever had. We went opening night of the season. Service was slow and unattentive. But that's not the story...its the red sauce they serve. Literally plain tomato sauce with a hint of oregano. Nothing else. In fact...is was "sour". My four cheese lasagna was plated where it just leveled out on the plate. I asked for extra sauce as it was a bit dry and that's when I tasted the sauce. I then asked my son if I could try his pasta he didn't eat and it was just terrible. My wife had the the chicken barbara and she said it was "good" but she was served 2 pcs of chicken tender cuts. Not even a boneless breast. My daughter had the carbonara...it was just thick with flour...not a stich of cream. This place needs work and I hope you pull it together.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Thomas B
Sawmill_Nonnas, Manager at Nonna's Restaurant at the Inn At Sawmill Farm, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
We are so sorry for how you felt about your meal. Our chef invites you and any guest to his kitchen to show you that he makes his sauce with nothing but the finest and freshest ingredients. This includes locally sourced fresh herbs (not dried ones in a jar). It has a fresh, bright flavor intended to complement different types of pasta. Generally when a sauce is overly spiced it means that it is not fresh or sugar and additives were added. We don't do that. As far as the chicken, we do not serve "tenders"- we buy our chicken locally and serve boneless breast meat. As far as the carbonara, we can assure you that there is no flour in the sauce and there is an appropriate amount of cream.
Dover, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great brie in crossant!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

Owning a ski house in West Dover we had seen the sign for The Sawmill many times, but always thought of it as a high end restaurant. When we saw a new hand written sign for Nonna's Casual Itallian at The Sawmill we decided to pop in.

We arrived quite early, 5:24 pm but the matre'd allowed us to be seated graciously, saying it was only 6 minutes to opening. We were excited. We were seated and waited a while for a waitress, eventually she showed up and explained it was only her second day. As such, we understood that the service may be a bit shaky due to the recent opening of a seasonal restaurant.

However, we did not expect it to be as bad. We ordered brie in a croissant and a Caesar salad. The salad was ok but the brie was great. For entrees we ordered 4 cheese lasagne with meatballs and chicken saltimbocca. The lasagne came without meatballs, so the waited a went back to get them. 10 minutes later she returned and we were able to tell her that we didn't get the saltimbocca but something different. So she took that to get the saltimbocca, and about 10 minutes later she returned with a very small piece of deep fried chicken with a melted half slice of cheese and about a teaspoon of marsala sauce. She dropped it on the table and dashed, returning once again. When we very centerfold her that the meal was not right.

Eventually they credited.our entrees and were very apologetic, but it took forever for them to bring our check. They must have had a bad night if we, the first customers, were served so badly.

• Visited November 2013
We are so sorry about your experience at Nonna's. It was our server's first weekend here and she did make a few mistakes. She is a very experienced server and feels terrible about what happened. As far as deep fried chicken, our kitchen does not have a deep fryer and we invite any guest to take a tour of the kitchen to see that. As far as the check, it took an extra few minutes to bring because we removed the entrees and wanted to make sure it was correct. We apologized profusely and did not charge for the entrees. We know that this cannot change what happened but we wanted to try to make things right. We had a great opening weekend and saw many friends and a good time was had by all.
New York
“This is the best restaurant in the area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I owned an house in West Dover for 17 years until 10 years ago, and have now returned to the area. This restaurant has always been my favorite for special occasions. It is my most romantic spot to celebrate an anniversary. The food is great and the service attentive. Frankly, I am surprised that it is not listed here as one of the top restaurants in West Dover / Wilmington area.

• Visited October 2013
Sawmill_Nonnas, Manager at Nonna's Restaurant at the Inn At Sawmill Farm, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
-Your Friends at The Sawmill