“Room to be desired...” 1 of 5 bubbles

Austrian Haus Lodge
Kingston, RI
“Room to be desired...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2007

End-of -year, Spring skiing run. They tried to give us an attic room that smelled of roofing materials. Smoke detectors didn't respond to test-button. We phoned around for better accommodations, and found them at the Grand Summit Hotel for an extra $35/night. A real no-brainer.

FTS... 'Alan

• Disliked — over priced; accommodations strictly for the infantry
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
ahaus, owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2008
1st I would like to say, the room in question the 1 with 3 dbls that has the attic dormers is a room that many families have stayed in over the 15 years I have been here and have loved staying in. There are some who don't like it, that when I have other alternatives I offer it to them as I did with this family, who for some reason had something wrong right from the start. I offered them another room with 3 dbls they didn't want it, I offered them a room with 2 dbls with a cot they didn't want it so I refunded them 100% of their money without question and they still have a problem without actually staying here for more than 20 minutes. What more can I do.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brookline, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed one night at the Austrian Haus last weekend. We were very disappointed with the quality of the accomodations. The room was exceedingly run down - there was unpainted wall space where a headboard used to be, areas of the bathroom floor where the tiles had pulled away from the wall, and dingy furnishings. In addition, the room was drafty and the outside walks that you had to take to and from breakfast were icy. Breakfast was acceptable, consisting of self-service toast your-own Friehoffer's English muffins/bagels/cereals.

For the price, we expected much more. Try the Nordic Hills Lodge (we stayed there last month) as a nearby, similarly priced alternative.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Poor quality
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
ahaus, owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2008
I would like to say I am sorry that they had a problem with the rooms condition. What they didn't say is that I have been updating the lodge each year that I have been here. The room they were in had new carpeting and new mattresses. The wall not being painted was because we had reworked the room set up and had not as yet painted it. Also since then I have replaced 6 more bathroom floors as time and money have come. I strive to maintain and fix up the building each year as money comes available. As many of my return guests will tell you over the course of my 15 years here.

Travelers are raving about these Dover hotels