“Don't miss this home away from home and Jesse's awesome barbecue”
Review of Gray Ghost Inn

Gray Ghost Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Reading, Massachusetts
“Don't miss this home away from home and Jesse's awesome barbecue”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Gray Ghost feels like a home away from home. Carina, the innkeeper is welcoming and warm and Jesse makes a fantastic breakfast cooked to order and AMAZING BBQ...Call and check to see if they are BBQing during your stay! Carina genuinely cares about service and she and her entire family are dedicated to ensuring you have a wonderful stay. I was there for the FoodBiker rally and am so very appreciative to the effort of the entire Gray Ghost Inn team during our stay--I will miss those amazing breakfasts. Thank you to all of the Gray Ghost Inn team, you were wonderful!!!

grayghostinn, Owner at Gray Ghost Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hi Olivia

I hope you have had a chance to see the food biker episodes. If not, go to their website,
food biker.com. I am so glad that you enjoyed Jesse's cooking and everything else about the Inn. I hope to see you again. Please like us on Facebook
Take care
Carina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here for the Green Mountain Adventure Challenge. Super friendly owners, great service, great rooms, can't say enough about how happy we were! BYOB, cozy with a fire place and a game room (pool, ping pong, etc.), just can't say enough nice things. Will stay here again when we go back to Dover!

2 Thank Nadia O
grayghostinn, Owner at Gray Ghost Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Hi Nadia

I am so glad that you enjoyed both my Inn and the hiking challenge. I have had many more hikers and they are all having a great time.

I look forward to seeing you again

Thanks for your kind words

All the best
Haverhill
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Had a very nice stay at the Gray Ghost in with three friends in August... Karina was friendly and helpful (we were participating in the Green Mountain Adventure Challenge), breakfast was nice, and the rooms were just as you see on the website... rustic, cozy, no frills necessary! My only wish was that the AC had cooled our third-floor rooms a little better after long days of hiking, but next time I visit I will just request a lower floor! :-) The Inn was pretty empty during our weekday stay, which was also a bonus because we couldn't hear any of the other guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
xgirl22Traveler
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This Labor Day was our third time staying at the Gray Ghost Inn and once, again we were not disappointed. Karina always does her best to make you feel welcome. The rooms are simple, but cozy. The back deck and hot tub area are perfect for relaxing with a cocktail after a long day out. A hot breakfast is served (free to guests) every morning. This year we brought our infant son with us and will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Xgirl22Traveler
Ct
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with a group that arrive via motorcycle. Very motorcycle friendly. Warm friendly host who made everyone feel welcomed. She remembered one group member who was there "two yrs ago" and the conversation that had taken place". Rooms are clean and cozy. Option for TV upon request, but I for one did not wish for it. Spent most of our time in town or by the fire place enjoying good conversation and our BYOB. Convenience store just down the road, restaurants all with in walking distance. Wonderful location, breakfast was hot and filling. That meal can last you all day till dinner! & all freshly made to order!. In the evening you can sit by the fire place and enjoy the company of the other guest. I will certainly be back next year! Thank you again Carina for making us all feel like family, our home away from home.

Rose

New Hampshire
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Gray Ghost Inn during a wonderful gathering of motorcycle touring friends in August. Out time at the Inn was mostly dictated by the weather, as we toured the Green Mountains when the rain allowed. The Inn's front porch provided a fine retreat during a rain day. Our room was cozy, not fancy, just the way we prefer on motorcycle tours. The breakfasts were plentiful and good. The owner, Karina, was extremely pleasant and helpful. All in all, I agree with a former reviewer who said" "you're like family there." We have already booked a room for next year's Green Mountain adventure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sayville, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked this hotel when we signed up for the Green Mountain Adventure Challenge. The inn keeper was very nice. The rooms are very outdated and not so clean. There are no TV's in room. The first morning we ate breakfast there and my son got sick right after. On the second night at 10 p.m. someone opened our door thank goodness I was standing by it and he showed me that they gave him the same room we had. Note that 95% of the rooms were unoccupied. Also both mornings the maintenance man decided to work right outside our bathroom and bedroom windows very early. Can't quite figure that one out but kinda of creepy. We decided to go down to the pool and found it filthy!! We definately will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
grayghostinn, Owner at Gray Ghost Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

I remember your stay very well and enjoyed having you and your family as

guests. Most importantly, I would like to apologize that your stay at the Inn was

less than satisfactory. I am glad you enjoyed my hospitality and would like to

stress that it is SO important for guests to express their dissatisfaction to me

during their stay. That way, I have an opportunity to address your concerns

immediately (for example, the early work by the maintenance man, who was

repainting the exterior of the Inn, could have been avoided on day two. Likewise,

if the pool was not to your satisfaction I would have made another pass to

remove any leaves that had dropped since the previous cleaning).

It is correct that our rooms do not have TVs. We offer TVs in the common areas.

I refer to my rooms as standard rooms since they have all the basics plus private

baths. I purchased new bed spreads this spring for every room and each room

has been updated with a hairdryer. My housekeepers have been with me since

I bought the inn 13 years ago, and have consistently ensured that the rooms

are clean. When I checked you in I was under the impression that you were

happy with your room. Your son was excited about the three beds, so that each

person had their own. If you had indicated that you were unhappy, I would

have corrected the situation by moving you to another room or fixing whatever

displeased you about your room. Your feedback is always welcome before,

during and after your stay. I am a firm believer in constant self reflection as I

don't believe in the plateau....I am always striving to provide the best possible

experience at my inn!

You did not mention that your son was sick or I would have referred you to an

excellent local doctor or pharmacist. I do not know what happened to your son. I

have served breakfast to all my guests for over 13 years and no one has gotten

sick from my breakfast. I am sorry that your son didn't feel well.

On Tuesday I had a guest arriving early evening. He thought he was in room

213. My daughter, who was at the front desk, mistakenly told him that the room

was vacant and allowed him to open the door. I apologize for that, as other

guests should not walk into occupied rooms. He went out to dinner and when he

returned around 8pm he explained what happened. I subsequently checked him

into the correct room.

I hope you will come back to the valley again and enjoy all the wonderful things

we have to offer and maybe try the hiking challenge again. There are many

accommodations from which to choose. My apologies that my Inn was not to

your liking.

Sincerely yours

Carina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Grand Summit Resort Hotel
#2 of 10 in Wilmington
Kitzhof Inn
Kitzhof Inn
#9 of 12 in Dover

Been to Gray Ghost Inn? Share your experiences!