“Over the Top Culinary Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Connecticut, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over the Top Culinary Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Our experience at Harriman's was over the top! EVERYTHING was absolutely perfect. As it is a ski lodge, there were a lot of children in the restaurant, but it was still able to maintain a fine dining atmosphere without being stuffy. The service was excellent.

Most importantly, the food was out of this world. We eat out at fine establishments quite frequently, and this was some of the best food we've had. Chef Mike has exceptional talent and the place is blessed to have him on board. (He is new to the restaurant since an unfavorable review from the past. Nothing about our experience was like theirs.)
We started with a great bottle of wine. ( They have an extensive list with quite a few upscale choices.) We then had some of the best shrimp ever. The quality of the shrimp itself was very high. It had some cheese, was wrapped in high quality bacon, and served on some light sauces that ended up a bread dip when the shrimp was done because we couldn't let it go to waste. When the kids saw our reaction to the shrimp, they wanted some too, so we ended up ordering a second helping.
We also had the Vermont cheese plate, which had superb artisian cheeses as well as interesting sides such as apple butter, and fresh VT honeycomb, and a mixed nut blend.
In addition to these appetizers we had the curried chicken wings. They too were excellent and even the kids loved them.
Finally, we moved on to salads. Again, out of this world. I don't even LIKE salad, but these sounded so great, I had to try. We had the mache salad which had some type of red pepper sauce on it, and grilled romaine with roasted corn, parmesan, and croutons. We ate every bite.
We were too full for entrees, so we are coming back in two days to experience that part of the menu.
We had to finish with dessert, though, and had an incredible trio of creme brulees.

In addition to the exceptional nature of his food, Chef Mike also took the time to help with gluten-free choices for my son. There were a large number of items on the full menu that were safe, including all of the food mentioned in this review. Chef Mike came out first to consult with us and later to be sure everything was as we desired.

If you love great food, this is well worth the visit. If we lived in VT, we would be regulars here. Since we don't, it is enough to make Mt. Snow our destination of choice for future ski vacations.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SLGConnecticut_USA

Long Island
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

In the West Cover/ Mt. Snow area, there are some wonderful restaurants that are a great bargain in the off season (which, up here would be the summer) Unfortunately Harriman's is not one of them.
Harriman's is the restaurant that is attached to the Grand Summit Hotel at Mt. Snow. As such it is appointed in a very contemporary and attractive style. It gives one the impression that the quality of the food and service will be equal to the decor ( and the prices as well). Sadly, the food and service do not. A number of items on the menu don't exist in the summer, and it would have been nice of the chef or at least the manager to create a new menu reflecting what they did have. After being told my first choice didn't exist, I requested what the chef offered in place of it, a steak served with a topping of bleu cheese crumbs, asking for it to be prepared medium well, (so as to ensure that the bleu cheese would melt) Our waiter brought me a rare steak with raw bleu cheese on top. They recommended this to me, and asked me how I wanted it, and they brought it this way. My wife suggested that I try it, saying that perhaps, this is how it's prepared up here. He must have seen the look on my face when I tried it, because he disappeared and returned only to ask if we wanted dessert.
It may sound as if I was just having a bad experience, but my wife's pasta dish was both salty and peppery, a feat I'd never seen accomplished before. The Linzer Tart that I chose from the menu was literally one of those faux Linzer Tarts that one can pick up at a gas station, with one exception. Here, the wrapper was already removed.
I can't really blame the staff. They were all very young (I'm guessing 19-23) and I must say inexperienced. But I'm being kind when I say that the food was of poor quality and poorly prepared. As a caveat to any one staying here at the Grand Summit Hotel, I say enjoy the hotel itself. It is lovely, but dine elsewhere. My suggestions would be 1846 an/ or the Hermitage, both far superior in every sense of the word. And each was equal to or perhaps a little less expensive, to boot.

• Visited July 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank crownvicnick

Been to Harriman’s Restaurant? Share your experiences!