“Fun place to be”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hermitage Road
Description: Our menus are prepared with locally sourced products whenever possible. We use only the finest, select ingredients to present the best flavor for our diners. Guests can choose to be seated in the Tavern area, main dining room, or outdoor-weather permitting. For private parties, enjoy a large private space or the intimate wine cellar.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I am so glad we found this and would love to stay here next time we come. The grounds are beautiful and we were fortunate, since it was a slow night, to eat in the cozy Tavern. Food was great; service was fun. We came back the next day to see one of the world's largest collections of Michael Delacroix art. Evidently the owner knew him well and this was very special to see so many of his works. A very classy place with lots of energy.

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Very nice country inn in southern Vermont with top notch restaurant. Chef is clearly one of the best in the region. Pumpkin soup, scallops, smoked pork chop, poached lobster were all fantastic. Food menu in my opinion should be expanded by some degree however wine list is extensive. We had a very nice sparkling Italian wine. Nice big tables with lots of elbow room. The patrons here also tend to dress up a bit for dinner which I find appealing after being in hiking gear all day. The draw back was cost. We paid $199 with tax and tip for 2 apps 2 entrees 4 wines 2 coffees 1 desert. We ate well and were treated well and they deserve to be paid well but $100 per person is a touch abusive. The quality was so high I would not even mention it if the total bill was in the $150-170 range which would still be very high for Vermont. I will 100% return just not every weekend because of the cost. Enjoy !!!!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Here on a Sunday evening - so fairly light on business. Food wonderfully prepared - interesting combinations, good use of fine ingredients. Substantial and great wine list. Lovely people and tremendously comfortable.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I REALLY wanted to like this place, we went 2 years ago and had a great lunch at the tavern. Since then it's been consistently downhill - tasteless food and average service and a loud bar are the norm. If you want a nice casual place with good food try the 1846 tavern in Dover instead.

The last time we went was a last ditch effort, sort of like "hey, let's give it ONE more shot, for the heck of it". Well, we left disappointed....again. We figured we'd order pizzas, couldn't screw that up - we were wrong. My wife's pepperoni pizza tasted like something you would buy in a freezer at the supermarket, all the way down to the small curled pepperoni that I remember from when I was 10 years old and had really bad frozen pizza. My goat cheese pizza literally tasted like....nothing...too bad, I love goat cheese.

I get what they're trying to do with the menu - upscale gastro pub type stuff, but it's not working. You really need to have the best ingredients and someone who knows how to cook them - not sure where the disconnect is, but there's one there for sure. Not only that, it's expensive - I think our pizzas were $16 apiece, which is a lot for frozen-pizza quality.

Three strikes and you're out, we won't be returning and recommend you don't either.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Exceptional inn. My family and I went twice and each time asked for a better deal on the room and got it. Very clean, friendly, well-maintained. Would definitely go again. The food is a bit pricey, but wonderful.

2  Thank jackie f