“Disappointing pub grub”

Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Description: It is a new bar/restaurant located in the Mount Snow area.
Reviewed June 21, 2012

A local chef recommended The Valley View Saloon for lunch so we arrived with high expectations--apparently too high. He recommended a house special chicken sandwich--krazy somethingorother. House specials are often the best so I ordered it. Instead it tasted institutional--the chicken was dry and the sauce tasted like it came straight from a jar.

I have trouble reconciling my experience with the positive reviews here, but that's how it was. Maybe in the summer there is a different chef who has no interest in his food. I can understand the appeal as a bar, but as a lunch stop it was lacking.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

First I'm shocked to hear the negative review below with the guy who ordered the salads and didnt like the atmosphere..I love the atmosphere at Saloon! very warm feel to it..people are very friendly...good vibe..thats a head scratcher??
Also I'm 46 and bartended for 20 years and consider myself a pub guy..
the place has a good atmosphere..period!
onto the food..when we've been there (6 or 7 times) my family gets the sanwiches and burgers there..best! they make their own bread right there and that chicken and cheese club is absolutely fantastic!' and big..fries are great so are the sweet potato fries..
And yes the beer is great too..they have a nice selection..overall I would say this is the local place to go to when in the Wilmington area..love it!
I cant speak about the salads..in my opinion salads are hit or miss wherever you go but I wouldnt consider Saloon a salad place..more pub food sandwiches and burgers kind of place..stick to those and you'll love this place!

Reviewed April 1, 2012

While in Vermont for business we hit the Saloon for a quick lunch. I had a cheese burger and my gf had the fried chicken sandwich. Asked for the burger medium rare and it was cooked perfect. The chicken sandwich was huge! Both sandwiches came with french fries that were very tasty. They had a very large selection of beers including PBR on tap! Nice TV's to catch the games and different specials on each day. All in all it was the best meal we ate on this short work trip. We head to the area at least once a year and we will hit this place on each visit.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Great pub atmosphere, excellent sandwiches. Bartenders are very friendly. Like to watch Tv, they have plenty.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

My wife and I visited Vermont for 3 nights this past week. For me, when I travel, I want to find great places to eat and drink some really good local beer. We were in the mood for a good salad and had a recommendation that the Saloon had good salads. The outside of the restaurant looks nice enough. Once you enter the place, however, it really has a hollow feel to it. There is absolutely no atmosphere or charm to the place. The bar is in the middle of the dining room basically, and the place is really bright with no decorations on the wall, and a real lack of effort to the restaurant/bar in general. They have a decent space that could really use a little love and decoration. The service was OK. I'm not sure how interested I would be if I worked here either. The beer was good! I can say that at least. They have a nice rotating handle that featured some good VT beer on draft. I ordered a 'tex mex' salad. The salad was fine. Nothing special, as the chicken was dry and the only thing that made it tex mex was shredded yellow cheese and black beans. I thought it was strange that there was no 'tex mex' dressing... not even a salsa. They gave me an option or raspberry or balsamic vinaigrette. That just really didn't make much sense to me. ? My wife had a spinach and goat cheese salad, which wasnt bad. My basic point is that the place needs a little energy and love put into it. Also, the bar was uninviting in general. I wanted to watch the BCS championship that night and decided to go somewhere else to find some atmosphere.

3  Thank Ky555soul

Been to Valley View Saloon? Share your experiences!