“Our Home Away From Home”
Review of Cooper Hill Inn

Cooper Hill Inn
Ranked #8 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was our first time staying at a B&B and it was amazingly cozy, welcoming, and the view from our room was of the VT mountains. Charles & Lee, the owners were very accommodating. Saturday night Asian dinner was cooked by Lee Wheeler, who grew up in Taiwan, needless to say her home cooking was "masarap" (Filipino for delicious). The deluxe king sized room was very clean, cozy, we even had a small automatic fireplace, a one person couch, jacuzzi, I even had room to put down my yoga mat facing the window with the spectacular view. We also had access to a balcony that had some chairs, but we did not use it since it was too cold. They have a huge common room on the 2nd floor with high ceilings, that has a tv, chess, couches, a throw blanket, and the other spacious family room is on the first floor that has a fireplace with access to a huge indoor porch. Lots of magazines and books to peruse, the travel books I looked at included Hawaii and New Zealand. A very eclectic home with a mix of Asian decor, Victorian, and American decor. They had a pitcher of fresh water filled with their well water available at all times in the dining area. Breakfast served daily from 7:30-9am was delicious. Lee makes really good French toast. Charles also recommended Timber Creek Mountain for cross country skiing, which turned out be great as well as his recommendation to eat at Roadhouse Inn for dinner. The only thing I wished they had were a couple of rugs since the bathroom floor was so cold. I used some of the hand towels as "rugs" during our stay. Otherwise, my boyfriend and I can't wait to come back, especially to experience Cooper Hill Inn in the spring/summer time.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We also had a Living Social voucher which led us to this wonderful inn located in Southern Vermont. As everyone has said, the views from the back and especially, the front of the inn are absolutely breathtaking! Charles and Lee are wonderful hosts and we especially loved Lee's Cooking/History class. Charles pointed out different attractions in the area which we took advantage of in our short, but enjoyable stay. Make sure to wander down around the gardens in the back - simply gorgeous!

Room Tip: We were able to peek into many of the bedrooms and they all look lovely - you won't be disappoin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

After all the amazing reviews, my girlfriend and I went in with high expectations. Charles and Lee, these kind-hearted and sweet hosts, met and exceeded everything that we expected.

Hands down, the location cannot get any better - the inn is situated at 2400 feet, with a stunning view over the mountains. It is so peaceful and quiet that it's hard not to be captured by the magic of the place. We even saw fireflies the first night as we were sitting on the grass with the awesome bottle of wine that Charles provided us with as part of the Livingsocial package.

The place itself has character, it's an inn with over a dozen room, but the rooms are quite spacious. It dates from 18th century, but it's quite well maintained. There is a smell of mold in some parts, but not where the guest rooms are. For an old place, that's to be expected and it's by far nothing compared to how clean the place is - spotless, from the bathrooms to the kitchen. The old furniture definitely adds to the experience.

The hosts were a pleasure to spend time with. They are cheerful, wise and accommodating people who definitely enjoy what they are doing. Lee prepared the most amazing Asian dinner, beating the best fine-dining restaurants I've ever been to - if she can cook for you one of the nights you're spending there, believe me, it's more than worth it! And both my girlfriend and I are foodies! So it's amazingly high praise coming from us! Charles made awesome breakfasts - yummy french toast and the most yellow and fluffy and tasty scrambled eggs with crispy bacon!

There is a lot more to say, but I'll cut it short since I already miss this place! I'm definitely going back (I'd consider driving down from Montreal even just for dinner and one night!). I would recommend the Cooper Hill Inn to anyone who wants to relax, who enjoys wise and cheerful company and wants to experience some of the best Asian food that you can possibly have!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view! Definitely worth it, despite the sun in the morning!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DanElessar
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We used a Living Social voucher to go for a two day stay. Although the weather was miserable with SNOW at the end of May, the wood burning fireplace in the living room made for a comfortable retreat. The Asian dinner was absolutely delicious and both Lee and Charles were very accommodating hosts. The rooms are modest in size but I noticed two significantly larger rooms if you want to spend time in your room. We spent most of our indoor time in a large upstairs sitting room that has a large screen TV, which we did not use, and many games available. The views are magnificent over the Presidential mountain range although clouds obscured them much of the time we were there. The Inn in on a quiet road away from busy Rt. 100 but it is easy to drive down into Dover or other places if you want to explore the area. We definitely plan to return for another peaceful retreat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It would be hard to imagine a nicer place to stay. The owners, Charlie and Lee are wonderful, considerate hosts. Our room was spotless and well appointed. Of special interest is the authentic Chinese food that Lee can prepare ( she is Chinese) if prior arrangements are made. An easy drive to Mt. Snow, but there are great snowshoeing and XC trails right at the inn. All in all this was the epitome of a Vermont vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

March 2013 stay... Good review due to the stay, rough time trying to use my livIng social, bought a 2 day stay thru living social in 2012, was planning to give them a bad review as I tried reserving 4 times and was denied every time, I called 3 wks prior to it expiring and Lee told me they were booked every weekend that I should've called sooner, wouldn't extend it so I lost the 2 days. We finally got to use the face value of the voucher this past Wed for only 1 night since i wasnt going to pay the difference, so I lost some $, but that's ok, my decision, wanted to use it on a weekend but that wasnt going to happen, i called last weekend and Lee said to me "we dont have the room booked but weekends are our busiest time so i would like to keep it available for paying customers" (not kidding) experience left a sour taste in my mouth. Ok now the good part, in regards to the stay, million dollar view, very relax atmosphere, just what we needed to get away from the city life. Decor is outdated but not bad, clean place, both Charles and Lee were very nice, would stay again just not buy a living social, never had this happen to me before, and I use groupon and living social very often. They did give us a bottle of wine, stay was incredible though, would recommend if u are looking for a quiet time!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank ilianad
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed Presidents weekend at at the inn. We had a comfortable room, enjoyed relaxing in the two common rooms, delighted in delicious breakfasts. Charles and Lee are accommodating hosts who are most interesting to talk with. We had a very late arrival and they stayed up to wait for us. The inn is situated at the top of a hill affording spectacular views. Close to skiing. We recommend that you stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
The Nutmeg
#5 of 12 in Dover
The Hermitage Inn
The Hermitage Inn
#6 of 12 in Dover

Been to Cooper Hill Inn? Share your experiences!