“Went for Octoberfest”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dover
Ma
“Went for Octoberfest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We arrived early to go to Octoberfest. We were checked in by Jeff who was very nice. The hotel is dated but appeared clean. We had a suite with a lake view which was beautiful. The room was clean and spacious. The only issue was when you walked things shook. I though we had ghosts in the room because before we even entered the TV cabinet was rattling. The remote did not work on the TV in the living room area. There was a outdoor hot tub and a indoor hot tub. We couldn't get in the outdoor one due to the 10+ people in it all night. The only complaints I have was: there were only 3 pillows for the King size bed. My boyfriend and I both use 2 pillows so he didn't get 2 and complained his neck hurt in the morning. The other thing was when you went in to the bathroom and turned on the lights, the fan sounded like a plane taking off. It was waaaayyyyy to loud.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
South Valley Stream, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I been to the Snow lake Lodge many times and I had brought my son there since he was small. This resort is good for people who are not expecting a five star looking room. If you enjoy more rustic relaxing rooms this could be for you. A perk though staying in this lodge is if you stay a few times you keep getting reduced rates on your stay which I had received, and also you can have access to the other surrounding logdes and their facilities, including their pools as well. The Snow Lake Lodge has a outdoor pool and use to have a fitness room and nice size indoor hot tube / small pool but since I last visited it was all under contruction. The surrouding area holds different events depending when you travel. One great thing is if you do not have a car with you when staying, there is a shuttle that is free that takes you to various spots and its called the Mooooo ver....its a bus painted as a cow. This area for recreation is more along the relaxing mini golf, petting zoo, type of thing. The lodges view is nice being it is surrounded by the lake. I reccommend this trip for more the low key entertainment and if your traveling with very young children and also want a great deal price wise.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the front of the lodge where the lake is, it is a much nicer view. Pool...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary B
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I agree with other reviewers about how outdated the hotel is. Yes, it is an old building but it is very popular with a high turnover of guests and so they should be able to afford to stay on top of basic upgrades like beds/matresses. Take ear plugs as the walls and floors are paper thin and you will hear every noise from 3 rooms away!
I disagree with other posts that said it was dirty. Definately in need of sprucing up and carpets are stained (as so often the case in ski hotels!) but our room and the communal areas were clean, if jaded. I noted that the hot tubs were regularly inspected and very clean, again the surroundings were old.
I stayed as a chaperone with a school group but of note to other travellers is the alarming fact that THE BAR IS ONLY OPEN ON WEEKENDS!!! Not an issue for us as we had kids to look after but there were many other adults in the hotel and nowhere for anyone to get drinks/snacks in the week after breakfast other than the vending machines - crazy! There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms either. Similar hotels I've stayed at have had free tea/coffee in the lobby all day. Breakfast ok but extremely basic with no hot food at all.
The bed was very noisy and quite uncomfortable with insufficient bedlinen - the blanket was too thin and cold.
It is cheap but I've stayed in far better, cheaper hotels than this. The establishment are too quick to dismiss complaints on the grounds of the age of the hotel and steer people to the more expensive hotel up the road if they want better conditions.
On the plus side, the location is great, with a regular free shuttle to the slopes and the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. A rethink on the running of this hotel is needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the slopes - lovely view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Snow Lake lodge for the past 3years, and I think its a great deal and we always have a great time. Sure the hotel could use some updates but staying there is a bargain and you get a decent continental breakfast. The beds are my only gripe too firm for me. The walls are thin and if you plan on staying during Reggaefest weekend, expect some shenanigans from others celebrating and such. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to next year :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeniferb123
new jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Not only is this hotel old, dirty and dingy, it has paper thin walls. We were kept up until 2am due to the bar across the stress blasting music. It was so loud it felt as if the music was actually playing in our room. Then, we were woken up at 5am because a group in another room were talking, and then again at 6, and again finally at 7. Each time, it felt as if the people were in our room. Also, the carpets are dirty, the beds are hard, and the sheets don't fit on the bed. I woke up a few times to laying directly on the mattress which was very disconcerting.

What's more, I was told by central reservations that I could add additional discounted lift tickets at any time. When I called on my way up I was told I had to call 48 hours in advance and that I would not be able to get the lift tickets. Instead I was told that could buy lift tickets at the mountain. Obviously! And, for double the price! When I explained I was told I could buy the discounted lift tickets at any time, no one would make a concession and make good on their mistake.

The one plus here is that the staff is very nice and they offer good coffee and a continental breakfast in the morning.

Still, overall I am very disappointed and won't be coming back. What I hoped would be a fun weekend has turned into a huge disappointment.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank franklinds
Donna B, Guest Relations Manager at Snow Lake Lodge, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am sorry that you were disappointed with Snow Lake Lodge. Snow Lake Lodge is the economy ski lodge owned by Mount Snow, and we often suggest this property as an option, but Central Reservations staff should be telling inquiring guests that it is our older, more basic ski lodge. It does not sound as if you were informed of that, so my apologies.

I am sorry that you were kept awake with noise from neighboring rooms and I assume from the band at the nearby Snow Barn night club. As an older ski lodge, thin wall construction was the norm when the property was built and renovations of Snow Lake Lodge over the years did not include a full tear down and rebuild of the walls to bring them to more modern ~ soundproof~ walls.

As far as the lift tickets; all discounted lift tickets must be ordered at least 2 days prior to arrival. This is stated in more than one location on the email confirmations that we send out and a staple statement on the package pages of our website. Since we print and deliver all prepaid lift tickets the night before they are valid, we strictly adhere to that rule.

Thank you for letting me know about your experience. I will stress to my staff the importance of reviewing all details of the properties they are booking.

Travelers are raving about these Dover hotels

New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

A lot of people are saying this a great value but I am not so sure. We paid a last minute discount rate for a standard room and I felt we really over paid ($120/night). The pillows were old and lumpy, 2 out of the 4 towels in the bathroom had a stain, when we looked out our window there were beer bottles all over the roof, the door might as well have been cardboard - you could hear everyone in the hallway and the ceiling is about 6.5 ft tall so when you go to take off your sweater or something, your hands whack the ceiling.

The two PRO's I would give this hotel are location and staff. It is 2 minutes away from the main base lodge via bus and you can walk if you don't want to wait for the free shuttle (or if you apres ski too long like we did and miss the last shuttle - its a 20 minute walk.)
And the staff was very friendly and always willing to help and made that process very easy.

I probably wouldn't stay here again because the room was so bad, but

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank quinnny10
Donna B, Guest Relations Manager at Snow Lake Lodge, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay. I will be certain that the management team is made aware of the issues you had. The Snow Lake Lodge is an older ski lodge, built in 1962. The thickness of the walls and height of the ceiling met the construction standards of the day. We have not done a complete re-build of the property to address those items; our renovations have concentrated on flooring, painting, bathroom fixtures, etc. Evidently, previous guests discarded their empty beer bottles by tossing them out of the window and onto the roof. With all the snow we have, it is not safe to access the roof to dispose of them at this time. In any case, my apologies that litter was present and rest assured that as soon as the snow melts, spring cleanup will begin.
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

After I booked I read the reviews and I am not sure what some people expect from a place where you can ski and stay for five days, 2 adults and 2 kids, for less than $1000. Regular ski passes alone would have cost more than that for the week! We travel a lot and spending this kind of money for a week of skiing means we don't have to give up trips at Christmas and other holidays.

Obviously the Snow Lake Lodge is not a five star venue, but the beds were fine and rooms clean. Perhaps the one thing that really needs updating is the carpet. It is worn and dirty, but heck bring flip flops! However, to balance that one negative out the staff were super friendly. We arrived at 1.00 am, the gentleman behind the desk helped unload and gave me the ski tickets for the week with the key to our room. No waiting in line for me.

The breakfast was fine. Cereal, coffee, bagels, toast, muffins, danish, hard boiled eggs, juice etc. The hot tubes, indoor and outdoor, were old but clean and a great hit with the kids. The pub is fine, they sell beer and burgers, what more can you ask for after a hard day on the mountain?

We skied the last day and even though we had checked out in the morning they let us use the hot tub and showers so we could get on the road clean!

I'll be back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Maarten G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Black Bear Lodge
#2 of 9 in Dover
Vintage Motel
Vintage Motel
#1 of 3 in Wilmington

Been to Snow Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!