“Poor Service”

Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Good location, room was ok, but the service is poor. The staff is nice but think the poor service may be due to being understaffed and unorganized. Waited 3 hours for our room to be ready, was told 30 minutes to an hour each time I checked. When we checked out, it took over an hour for the Valet to bring our car. I also left my phone charger in my room, I have left two messages and sent an email and I haven't received a single response back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed here this time with my friend and my 20 year old daughter. The room was one of the small ones, no kitchen, just a room like an ordinary hotel room, though there are much larger and nice ones, For $150 a night for the holiday weekend a plain room with 2 queen beds was just fine.

The room was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The sort-of strange way the beds were made resulted in us all having to unmake them and remake them for our own comfort; it was 60 degrees and we really didn't need 8 layers of covers over the sheets. In face, we didn't really need any, the room was so warm.

The highlight is the wonderful super-heated swimming pool which is outdoors. The hot water and cold air are an energizing combination, and the hot tub is actually HOT. No lifeguard, but a couple of uniformed guards were roaming around reminding people not to bring alcohol to the pool area. I never noticed them on prior trips, and hope they were only there because of the Octoberfest they were having. It was enough to make me reconsider going back, the weirdness of being watched in the water by uniformed people who couldn't help you if you needed it. I also saw the same guards trying to convince a guest not to drive drunk, and succeeding by threatening to call the local PD while really getting the guy's girlfriend down there to calm him down.

The food is adequate at best, but there are lots of places to eat in the area.

I've been there on less hectic weekends, and liked it much better. The area is lovely and there's plenty to do. Their skiing and boarding in season are excellent.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SarahGoat
mwcjbush, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2010

The Grand Summit Hotel did indeed have extra security onhand in the pool area during the Oktoberfest weekend for the safety of our guests. During high occupancy weekends and event periods, from time to time extra security is available to ensure this safety.

Reviewed October 5, 2010

First the good - I went there with my wife and her family for a wedding and the views from this hotel were very nice and the rooms were comfortable and accomodating

Now the bad - We were traveling with a newborn so to make sure we had some extra luggage and to keep everything in its place we put a privacy ticket in the door. We went down for breakfast and when we came back we noticed that the staff had ignored the privacy noticed and went in the room. Additionally our nephew had medication with him at the hotel and the staff threw out the $700 medicine. Finally, during the wedding I brought a blood sugar machine down to the ball room for the reception. The staff proceded to "clean up" the table which included removing my blood sugar machine for my type 1 diabetes. When I went to the front desk they reported that it had not been turned in and asked us to leave our information they would let us know.

Finally the ugly - After returning home we waited a little over aweek and decided to call to check in at the hotel to see if maybe it turned up. My wife spoke with a woman named Kelly, who was apparently an acting manager, and she said they had found the machine (yet never called us - not sure why we left our information) and that they needed a credit card to ship it back. My wife informed her that the staff there had removed the machine and that we shouldn't have to pay for shipping and her reply was that the hotel would go broke if they had to pay to ship everything that was left behind (sounds like a pretty bad business model if that would cause them to go broke). She also informed Kelly of the staff entering the room with a privacy notice as well as the medicine that was thrown out and her reply was, "Ok, thanks for calling". The only bright spot in the staff was a woman named Wanda from the mail room who was very understanding of the circumstances and agreed to ship without charging. Nothing like accomodating your guests by stealing their property and then charging to get it back - Thanks Kelly.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BrianMac1228
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We went to the Grand Summit for a family wedding and had a wondeeful time - peak foliage , beautiful grounds and very nice staff - the wedding site was beautiful and the food was great - Our room was perfect for our family with a full kitchen and dining table -
I would reccomend this resort and hope to go back again

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2010

This place was ok. I stayed at one of the condominiums on the property. It was at Snow Mountain Village. It was outdated, but everything was in working condition. The property is really nice, well kept and I'm sure it's better in the winter. I got a deal through Travel Zoo which was affordable so I decided to go here and try it out. I felt very unwelcomed. I had a nice time going around, Vermont is a nice place to visit. It would've been better if the staff was more knowledgable, polite and cared about their guests. It was disappointing. I don't know if it was my nationality or race that affected them from assisting me and my fiance the way we should've been treated? The only friendly people during my stay was the guy at 7/11 and the employees at the spa. There were several things that I did not like about my stay:

1. It clearly stated on an information sheet I received when I checked in that maintenance services would come on the 3rd day to pick up our garbage and give us fresh towels. I checked in on a Wednesday and thought maintenance would come Friday. I was told by the front desk correct day was Saturday. No one ever came. I was leaving Sunday so I didn't bother to call the front desk.

2. I was told by a reservation specialist that no pets were allowed on the property, yet I saw dogs on the property, by the condos and also inside the hotel. If owners can have pets that is fine, but please be more specific.

3. I have never been hiking so I thought I'd give it a try. Went to the sports center to sign up and I had a couple questions. We asked a man behind the counter and all he said was to sign a yellow form. He didn't even ask us if we've been hiking, didn't tell us where the lift was, didn't ask if we had any questions. It was as if I was supposed to know what I was doing and if I didn't too bad.

4. I had a spa appointment which was located at the hotel. Since I've never been here before I wanted to ask the front desk where the spa was. The employee at the front desk was talking on the phone for about 5 mintues to her brother ensuring him she reserved a good room for him that weekend. She never acknowledged me or put her brother on hold to assist me. What kind of customer service is that? Because of her talking on the phone, I was late for my appointment. The employees at the staff weren't so upset, but I would've liked to be on time.

5. When I reserved my trip, the Mount Snow website stated there was a pool, sauna, and tennis courts at Snow Mountain Village Condos. We asked the front desk after our spa appointment if that pool and open and she said it should be. She did offer the "heated" outdoor pool but we preferred an indoor pool. When we went back to the condos, the pool was locked and closed. When we called the front desk we were told by the male employee who told me someone would come get our garbage on Saturday that the pool at the condos were locked and the only pool available was the one at the hotel. Several hours later, I saw a family go to the pool with no problems. As I said before if that pool is for owners only, then that is fine, but be more specific. Same thing goes for the tennis courts; those were locked, but come Saturday, I saw a couple playing tennis. If that is for owners also fine, but let me know. Don't just tell me it's locked.

I had a nice time going around Vermont, it's very scenic and peaceful in the summer. I don't know if i would come back here though.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelalot5229
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband, 1 year old and I all got bedbug bites while staying at the Grand Summit. Room 206 I believe. I called to let them know but their 'bedbug specialist' found no evidence of bedbugs... shocker! I'm not sure that any hotel would admit it these days. In any case, check your bed beforehand for evidence, look for coffee ground like droppings and the bedbugs themselves under and in the crooks of the mattress and the pillows (we all got bit on and around the head and neck) before committing to a room or even having your stuff dropped off in a room there. Needless to say, I didn't really want to have to wash everything I brought with me after a 7 hour drive home, but I did it anyway. We had bedbugs in our home 4 years ago and we are VERY familiar with the bites, and I DO NOT want to go through the expense and hazards of fumigation and huge ordeal of cleaning everything in my home again a month before I give birth. I'm just hoping my precautions upon returning home worked and we did not bring any home with us.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank CapeNature
mwcjbush, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2010

Immediately upon hearing the guest's concerns during their stay at the Grand Summit Hotel, the following actions were taken. Management closed off the room and called in a professional exterminator, Braman, termite and pest elimination specialists, from Agawam, MA. They inspected the room, the bedding, the mattresses and all other areas of the room. They found no evidence of bedbugs. There have been no other reports from other guests. We do regret the problems this guest encountered but strongly contend their problems did not come from the Grand Summit. Reports are available from the above mentioned professional upon request.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

Clean, well priced (for summer off season.) We were doing a lot of activities in western MA, (white water rafting, zip lines, hiking) and found this location to be acceptably convenient and certainly affordable (mid week, summer rates at a ski resort.) Room had full kitchen, and was fine. nice towels, nice organic soap, and room had all the basics. Room clean, and hotel staff very friendly. Food at local inns was superb. Sonny's cup and saucer was the spot for breakfast (a dive, but trust me, the raspberry pancakes are delicious, with real maple syrup.)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank travel99ventures
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Snow Lake Lodge
#2 of 17 in Manchester
Old Red Mill
Old Red Mill
#2 of 3 in Wilmington

Been to Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!