“A fine experience like staying in a Country Inn”

Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Grand Summit Resort Hotel at Mount Snow for a business conference being held at the Hotel. The experience was a very good one in every regard. Accommodations were very comfortable and pleasant. The staff was outgoing, friendly and fully attentive - just like you would find in a country inn. The location of the Grand Summit is beautiful even during this between seasons period in Vermont Ski Country. We used the facility amenities including the heated outdoor pool, spa area hot tubs, and steam and sauna rooms and all were in fine order and fully functional. The food at Grand Summit was the best we tasted on our three day trip; truly farm to table as advertised. Our dinners were exceptional and very competitively priced with local restaurants. Wonderful scenic location, fine accommodations, and good eats - hard to beat. I left the Grand Summit totally pleased at having had a wonderful stay and frankly, thinking I want to come back in the summer or during the fall change of seasons high tourist season in VT.

Room Tip: Our room was very nice - it had a outdoor balcony seating area. The room was fully outfitted with m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I decided to stay here because we knew it would be one of the last times we'd be able to ski for some time. We have splurged from time to time on the convenience of slopeside/on-mountain lodging. I would say of the handful of times, this place was the lowest value.

For what we paid here for a murphy-bed, studio style room, we have gotten quite a bit nicer accommodations at some of the other big mountains further north and in Maine. That being said, we knew what we were buying when we bought it, so this isn't complaining, just my honest opinion.

The room REALLY smelt like maple syrup, which was kinda neat right away since I'm a breakfast fan, but by the end of the weekend I started to get a headache; it may also have been the kids in the room above us who were seemingly having a track meet each night before bed as well as each morning before hitting the slopes...but I think it was the smell.

The lodge itself is really nice and very relaxing. Welcoming great room with fireplace in the lobby as well as a smaller one on the balcony of our floor that overlooked the lobby. The only parking option is valet, which I guess we've come to expect when staying at these places, but I much prefer the option to unload and park myself; I just think valeting is silly, but I understand the service I guess. I did try to tip the guy and he actually seemed confused. I was caught a little off guard by that, which made me think that when people spend the money to stay here, maybe they EXPECT the valet service. I still figure you should take care of the people who are taking care of your stuff, so I made him take it.

We got there late Friday night and the first food option we found open was the restaurant in the lobby; the name escapes me but it had something to do with farm fresh or farm to table. This was the biggest disappointment of the weekend. We settled on a couple burgers and fries. These things were $15 a piece, and they weren't worth $5. This is where our breakfast vouchers were for each morning, and thank goodness they redeemed themselves in that area.

Ski valet was great, pretty standard in our experience. Right out the back door, and they were very quick. You walk across a little service road behind the resort, and 10' up a small hill, strap your gear on and ski right over to the Sundance lift. At the end of the day you can ski right down to the same service road, un hook, and drop your stuff back off.

The main issue at the resort was dinner, and specifically the hours. Our own faults by all means, we didn't pay close enough attention to the hours of the restaurants, we just figured it was a resort so they must stay open "regular" restaurant hours. Most of the places closed at 6, the rest at 8. We ended up having dinner Saturday night the same place we had lunch that afternoon: 1900' Burger. Thank goodness the food there is EXCELLENT and their price is half that of the lobby restaurant. Be sure you take a peak at the various restaurant hours, especially if you like to eat a little later.

Overall it was a nice weekend. If we ever find ourselves out this way again we will definitely consider staying here again. The value is not so great comparatively, but we justify it by the fact that it is a really nice mountain, and it is so close.

Room Tip: The murphy bed is in fact a murphy bed and as such is not so comfy, but it does work. If you can ju...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kyle A
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My sister and I met up here to ski on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We stayed in room 143. The room and housekeeping were great. The bed was extremely comfortable. The included buffet breakfast was good (scones and coffee were delicious). The hostesses were very friendly. The dining room kinda reminded us of a cafeteria. We really wanted to stay somewhere that included breakfast and was right on the slopes so we could maximize our ski time.

There were kids everywhere. We didn't mind because we both love kids, but they were all over the place. The hot tub was too crowded but I would have enjoyed it if there had been less people jumping around. The sauna was really nice and hot, but again, crowded. The steam room smelled so I didn't go in there.

We skied all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We could ski right up to the hotel floor that we were on! We just left our skis outside and could go in for a quick break. We loved that!!! Walking to a lift from there took about 3 minutes. When we got back to the room it was always clean. Housekeeping never let us down!

On Friday night we asked the valet for advice on where to go to dinner in town. They are very friendly and eager to help. They recommended a restaurant in town that was wonderful. I think it was called the Dover Gorge.

We stayed in the room and made dinner Saturday night...it is really cozy and like I said the bed was sooooooooooooooo comfortable. You can borrow DVD's from the front desk but we just watched episodes of "Friends" on TV and romantic comedies like "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" and "He's Just Not that Into You".

The front desk always answered our calls and were helpful.

Room Tip: If you want to ski right up to the floor with your room on it, choose rooms in the 100's!!! We w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank missmelissamitchell
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel has a great location! It is ski in/ ski out with a very efficient ski valet. The hotel is very basic. We were in a studio with a pull out sofa bed & a Murphy bed. Not a very comfortable room! I had a great service at the spa, although the spa, was a bit of a joke. The restaurant had no ambiance. Breakfast was included & was average. Not great, not horrible.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is our second year coming to Mount Snow as a family. Once again our vacation was amazing. The Grand Summit Resort is the perfect place to stay with kids. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The breakfast is always great. We stayed in a one bedroom with a kitchen and pull out couch. Plenty of room even with all the ski and snowboard gear. We were able to cook if needed or head downstairs to eat. The ski in ski out is perfect, and the ski/snowboard shed check in makes it so easy for everyone. Really nice to not have to lug the equipment everywhere. This year the ski conditions were fabulous. Great mountain for all levels of skiing. I am not a huge cold weather person or much of a skier but this is a really great family vacation spot. My husband and kids could ski and snowboard s much as they wanted on the more difficult slopes and could hang with me on the smaller runs. When I was done, it was easy enough to ski right to the resort. We are really looking forward to another family trip next year....

Room Tip: Looking for a family, we love the one bedroom with the kitchen....tons of room Ask to stay near y...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bronwynoc
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We (friends & Family) had a great time. After a great day of skiing we hit the pool, out of doors. Had a nice dinner in the evening at the Grand Summit and met new people at the Grand Summit's bar. We had plan to visit a local bar but we had such a great time at the summit, we stayed.
We're making plans to do it again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RitCt
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Went Feb 17 - 21. Family of 4 chose the 1 bedroom with pull out couch and murphy bed. Nice layout, good kitchen and it came with breakfast. Our room was on the second of 3 floors. Not too noisy. The main entrance is on the ground floor and the ski slopes, gym, pool and spa are the 1st floor. They have a laundry room on the ground floor. Shaw's is a large supermarket on Rt 9 about 20 min away. We passed it on our way to the hotel.
They have a ski valet outside and you just put your skis on and ski down to a lift. Getting back for lunch or the end of the day was just as easy.
Check in was at 6 PM and all the carts were in use. Same problem with check-out. All the carts (and they do have plenty) are taken by 8:30 AM. As it is a time-share most of the owners know this and they take the carts early.
We had an issue with the heating unit and it was fixed quickly.
We asked for a mountain side view but got a valley view (parking lot). It was fine as some of the mountain view rooms are above the pool and hot-tub which can get loud at times.
Harriman's, the on-site restaurant, is decent but can get crowded so plan on making a reservation or eating early/late.
Decent gym and spa services.
Tubing was fun but can get crowded after 3 PM.

Room Tip: room 136 is across from the spa and gym. It may get noisy. 1 bedroom layout with kitchen was nice.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Watrbaby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Snow Lake Lodge
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#2 of 16 in Manchester
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Mount Snow Condominiums

Been to Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!