“This place is overpriced and the sleeping accommodations were some of the worst I ever paid $500.00 a night for”

Grand Summit Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The grand summit is a grand waste of money. The location to the mountain is fantastic but the rooms are tiny and the sleeping was awful. The outdoor heated pool was cold for the 2nd year in a row and no one would even swim in it. The food at the restaurant was good but also way overpriced and lacking in substance.If it wasn't for its convenience to the mountain with a young family I would never return.

• Stayed: December 2012
mwcjbush, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I appreciate that you provided feedback on your visit and apologize for the challenges that you had encountered. We do strive to maintain an above average experience and will share your comments with the staff so we can work on solutions to reduce these concerns. I do hope despite this issue you were able to enjoy all of the amenities that we have to offer and will take the opportunity to try us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Being able to ski mt snow by taking a few steps from the room was wonderful. The hotel staff was helpful, polite, etc. but the hotel and rooms themselves were less than what one expects for $375plus a night. Restaurant was pretty good, but almost cafeteria style decor. If you book this do it for location and great mt. Snow skiing and expect a 1980s feel hotel room...

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Osbozac

Thank you for taking the time to talk about your experience at the Grand Summit Resort. I appreciate that you recognized the pride that the staff has in their service and will be sure to share your experiences with them. As for the condition of the units, we are currently in the process of renovating our bathrooms and discussing other future renovations and hope that you will come back for a future visit.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The only thing that my two travel companions and I thought was good about this place was its convenience to the mountain. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing this to the Stowe Mountain Lodge (which is worth every penny), but for $432/night it's certainly masquerading as a luxury hotel.

First, the hotel is loud, so loud! It sounded like there was a bowling alley upstairs from us. When you walk through the halls you can hear every step, and you can hear everyone else's steps when you are trying to sleep. Second, the pool is not enjoyable at all if you are looking for a little bit of adult time. Kids are great and skiing is a fun thing to do with them, but some people go on vacation to relax and the pool area is the opposite of relaxing. Also, there are no robes to get you from your room to the pool and back, so you either wrap yourself in a towel or walk down the hotel halls in your bathing suit. Every ski resort I have ever stayed in has provided pool robes. The room was clean but very no frills and the entire resort including the rooms looks like we took a time machine back to 1989. I know this hotel is fairly new, but it looks dated. Our hallway was lit with flourescent lighting and painted this terrible combo of hunter green and maroon. It looked like there were some holes patched on the walls but no one ever bothered to paint over the spackle.

Our heat also didn't work on the second night. We called, they came to fix it and couldn't. While they did offer to move us, it was midnight and we didn't feel like having to move all of our luggage and ski gear to another room in the middle of the night.

One night we called the desk to arrange for a taxi. Instead, we were told we had to do it. Really? I've never been at a resort where they won't call a cab for you. Isn't that part of the responsibilities for a concierge? When we left we called the front desk to arrange for a bell cart and were told it would be "a while." It's checkout time, how do they not expect an increase in the amount of people checking out? How long is a while 5 minutes, 30 minutes?

If we had spent $200 a night, I wouldn't not be complaining about any of this. I do believe you get what you pay for. In this circumstance, I feel like you are paying for luxury and getting a Holiday Inn that is just conveniently located at the bottom of the mountain.

I would only recommend this place if you don't mind loud kids everywhere and aren't expecting anything except a place to ski in and out of.

Room Tip: We were in room 162 - avoid it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking a moment to talk about your vacation. I do apologize that you felt we did not “wow” you this visit and appreciate the honesty. We do review all comments, as they are effective tools in assisting us in creating a memorable experience. As for the condition of the units, we are currently in the process of renovating our bathrooms and discussing other future renovations, I do apologize that you had issues with your heat while here and will follow up to find the breakdown in communication. I do hope despite these issues you and your friends were able to enjoy yourselves and will be able to make it back for another vacation.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Grand Summit Resort for 3 nights over the MLK Holiday. The Hotel staff was outstanding. From check-in to departure, everytime we interacted with a member of the hotel staff it was very pleasant and helpful. We had a queen room with a mountain view. The room was well appointed since it had a Kitchenette and apartment sized refrigerator. We did not plan to cook in the room, so we did not utilize the Kitchenette, other than the refrigerator. The room had plenty of space for the additional bags we needed since we had our ski gear with us. The hotel provides a ski-check which was convenient and easy to use, the only negative was that they did not accept your ski poles, so you still need to store your poles in your room. The resort being slopeside was very nice as you could ski right up to the ski check and enter the hotel within a few steps of the slopes. The hotel allows guests to wear ski boots inside which while it was convenient, it was loud when people were walking in the halls. I would reccomend the hotel supply each room with some form of rubber boot mat to place your boots on once you are in your room. As the snow on your boots melt, the carpet inside the door becomes wet. There are plent of hooks to hang your skiing gear in the entry way to your room to allow them to dry. While the bedding was comfortable, it was difficult to get a good nights rest due to the Kids running up and down the halls until midnight, as well as them "knocking on doors" as they passed by. The kids in the room above us must have been having a "Jumping" contest, because each night we would be woken up by the thumps on the floor above us. We were on the first floor in the wing which included the arcade and Spa.

The pool/spa area are nice. The outdoor hot tub and pool were a welcomed relief after a day of being on the slopes. The only frustrating part was trying to relax in the hot tub while 20 kids and teenagers were "Swimming in the Hot Tub". The resort should close the Hot tubs to adults only after 8pm. Even the security guard commented that the kids made it difficult for the guests to enjoy the Hot Tubs later at night. Overall, the pool/hot tub area was great.

The included breakfast was average. Standard buffet style breakfast, we utilized it each morning since it was included in the stay. Each day the breakfast was provided at Harrimans until 10:30am. We never had a wait for a table, even on a Holiday Weekend. Staff was pleasant and remembered us each time we came in.

The resort has NO NIGHTLIFE after 6:00pm! For those of you like us who like to come off the slopes after a day of skiing and relax before heading to dinner, you may be shocked like we were to find out all the resturants and bars located at Mt. Snow close between 6pm - 7pm. So you have to go eat as soon as the slopes close at 4:00pm, otherwise, you have to leave the resort to find a resturant, order food to be delivered, cook in your room, or partake in the food available at Harrimans, which was a little pricey. The first night we realized this, we headed into town to The Last Chair. The food was great, beer selection was great, and the location was convenient to the hotel. The 2nd two nights, we made sure to get to 1900 and Cuzzins before closing time. Cuzzins was great for a bar atmosphere with some nightlife, however, it closed at 7:00pm. So for anyone who likes to eat after 7:00pm, you need to basically leave the resort.

Overall we had a good time and would likely return in the future with our kids!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ATsherrick
Melissa B, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay over the MLK Holiday. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your ski vacation with us. The boot mat is a great idea and one that we will definitely look into. We are constantly looking at ways to improve and your comments and insight are much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again for your next ski vacation.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and well stocked ( had the kitchenette) but smelled a bit musty. We enjoyed a great massage at the spa.
Had an excellent dinner at Harrimans. Breakfast in the deli was average. Breaksfast was included in the cost of the stay. The only thing they would not include was a bottle of water. You could have coffee, juice, hot cocoa whatever but no water. That bothered me as it just seems ridiculous.
Overall, you can't beat the location for skiing and tubing. Valet service for your vehicle is very nice. They stored the skis right outside for easy pick up in the morning.
I would return and recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MassTraveler15

Thank you for providing such positive comments. The staff here are proud of the service that they provide and I appreciate that you took a moment to recognize that. I will share your comments about the breakfast in the deli to get a better understanding of why bottled water is not included. We look forward to your next visit to Mount Snow!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend at Mount Snow and stayed at the Grand Summit. We have stayed here before and have a good experience every time. The staff was friendly and room was great. The only reason i didn't give it 5 stars is that the buffet breakfast was terrible. The food was cold and there wasn't much of a choice. This was disappointing. Other than that we had a great time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
mwcjbush, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Summit Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to talk about your vacation. It is our goal to provide a friendly welcome throughout each guests stay and I am pleased that you recognized the staff for their efforts. I do apologize that you had issues with the buffet breakfast and will follow up with the key members of this department. I do hope despite this issue you were able to enjoy yourselves and will be able to make it back for another vacation.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family of 2 adults and 2 children recently stayed in the hotel in mid dec. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Even though it lacks the opulence of the 5-star hotels, it more than makes up for it with its cleanliness, family friendly staff and amenities. I actually felt compelled to maintain the room as neat as possible. We had a room with 2 double beds which was spacious enough. The highlights were the breakfast (free with my package) and outdoor heated pools which the children couldn't get enough of. It helps that the hotel is within walking distance to the ski lifts. Without a doubt, this is the best place to stay at mount Snow.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank St Y

Thank you for taking a moment to talk about your most recent visit to the Grand Summit. The staff here prides themselves on the service that they provide, so I will be sure to share your experiences with them. I hope you had a great time skiing as well and can make it back for your next family vacation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Deerhill Inn
Deerhill Inn
#1 of 12 in Dover

Been to Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!