“Modest in Every Way”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Modest in Every Way”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Hotel is one of those "just fine" type of places; nothing horrible, nothing really outstanding. Property is well maintained; rooms are decent size. It's not particularly fancy; about like a typical Best Western hotel. It's really stretched out - hallways are very long. Small balcony with sitting area. Flat screen TV but minimal channel choice. Coffee maker. Fitness center is better than most properties of this level; also an outside pool. Restaurant is so-so. We found the onsite deli to be a better choice, but it closes mid-afternoon. Bar on site. We had massages at the spa; massage therapists were good. Great fireplaces / sitting areas (although small) in the lobby. Good hiking just outside the doors.

Room Tip: Some rooms have kitchenettes - our didn't - be sure to ask if important to you. Also, request a...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TXRoadWarrior

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2011

The Grand Summit Hotel at Mt. Snow is a beautiful lodge style hotel with very nice rooms. As part of an RCI timeshare swap we got what was called a mini-suite. (kitchen/dining area, living room area, separate bedroom, two baths, AC.) As with all hotels of this stature, there was lovely outdoor pool, workout room, and a library, along with various areas to just sit and talk. I imagine that during the winter ski season, pretty much all of this comes in not only handy, but at a premium.
My wife and I are not skiers, hence the off season booking. The golf was excellent. And as far as a place to get away from it all, this was wonderful. Very scenic, views, very good staff and maintenance people. So if you're idea of a vacation is relaxing, maybe reading a good book, even after taking a dip in the pool. This is the place for you.
Now, the caveats: One of the reasons that we booked this hotel was that we were told that, in addition to golf for me, there'd be shopping for my wife. Shopping, within a twenty five mile radius, consists of a lovely souvenir shop, a Rite Aid Pharmacy, and a supermarket. There are actual shopping venues in two directions but each is close to an hour away. There were some nice restaurants though, and our best meals of the week were at The Hermitage, 1846 and a luncheonette called Dots of Dover. I'll save my final caveat for the Restaurants section.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank crownvicnick
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here for a week in the "slow" season, but there was so much to do! The staff is wonderful. Kendy the Concierge hosted an RCI-owner orientation the first day of my stay and gave us a lot of information about the local area and scenic drives (everywhere in Vermont is a "scenic drive"!) Upon checking out, Howard the Valet asked, "Do you have your cell phone charger"? Quite a thoughtful reminder :-)

The property is not "dog-friendly," but Kendy told me about the Four Seasons a few miles down 100S, where my sister's two German Shepherds had two days of Dog Park Fun Time! $20/dog/day ($30 overnight), and the staff there obviously likes animals.

The resort's chair lift goes to the mountain summit Friday-Sunday--a roundtrip ticket is $10. There's a lovely view from the top, and a small loop to walk. The walk down can be a bit rough. The sports shop on property rents bikes and asks people to register if hiking the mountain--a prudent safety precaution.

The Grand Summit is about 45 miles from lovely lovely Manchester, and about the same distance to Bennington and Brattleboro. Watch your speed in all the little towns--speed limits drop from 50 to 30 with regularity. It's easy access to hiking in Jamaica State Park (the hike to the Falls is strenuous, but worth it) and Putney Mountain (lovely vistas at the summit after an easy hike).

I didn't eat at the Cafe or Hamilton's on property--there were too many fun diners and restaurants in the area. But the menus at both looked quite good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank CookswithpassionVA
new jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My brother's wedding was this weekend at the Grand Summit. We had a total of 80 people and we all stayed at the resort. It was better than anything we could have anticipated. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The staff was amazing and put up with all of us! The wedding reception was held in the ballroom. It was fantastic. The room was beautifully decorated , food and drink were great. The view up there was breathtaking. I plan to visit the resort again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank kathybol
New York
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is our third stay at this hotel. We have loved every one of them! It is a true get-away. This time we only stayed one night but felt like we were someplace special. Rooms are large and comfortable. Two adults and two teens were very comfortable in the room. The full kitchen is nice for storing snacks and drinks - It's large enough and supplied with the basic pot/pans you could cook a full meal! Staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean. Looking forward to our next trip there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mew6160
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at the Grand Summit while attending a recent family event at Mount Snow. We found the hotel to be nicely decorated and roomy, nothing fancy but pleasant. The bed was comfortable and everything was in good working order. The staff members we dealt with were all friendly and helpful. The only real disappointment was the arrangement for obtaining breakfast. Hotel guests have to walk along a lengthy indoor corridor to find food at what is essentially a convenience store/take-out counter at the other end.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pittsburghproud
New Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I've been going to the Grand Summit since I was really, really small. and my father's been going for about 25 years. We love it, and it's great because we always go with family friends and have a wonderful time. The number one about this resort is that Mt. Snow is literally right there. Like a hotel on a beach, only the beach is a mountain. To me, The Summit's like a second home. I know every inch, and I love it. The hotel provides ski check, and rentals. Spectacular views are usually available, but, I'm not gonna lie, they're not always too great. It might just be me, but the hotel is also pretty easy to navigate in and find rooms, which I always found pretty convenient. The staff there has always been kind and somewhat amicable. They're also usually foreign, and it's cool talking to them. Harriman's, the restaurant inside, is likewise very nice. Great food. Room Service also doesn't take very long. Many takeout/takeaway places deliver to the hotel too. The rooms in the Great Summit differ very much. I personally don't think the room should really matter, although they are quite nice, because you're gonna be out skiing/snowboarding all day on the wonderful Mt. Snow. There are great slopes and trails. Lessons are also available for smaller children if wanted. When I'm there, after a long day of skiing, I like to get a massage, and the spa there is great. Oh, and the pool is really nice in the winter, outdoor but it starts inside near the entrance to the locker room and it's always heated. The double hot tubs are also very soothing. The kids can kinda get annoying though around 8pm. Across from the locker room doors there's also a sauna and a steam room(I prefer the sauna) they're very relaxing. Sitting in the lounge area on the 1st floor is also a fine way to make a few friends. If you want a great place to stay in the perfect spot at the base of a mountain, I think you should book Grand Summit. Go take a look at the photos from our most recent trip

Room Tip: Book early, and go often.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ChanaBatKalmen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#2 of 10 in Wilmington
Snow Goose Inn
Snow Goose Inn
#4 of 12 in Dover

Been to Grand Summit Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!