“Great autumn trip experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of West Dover Inn

West Dover Inn
Ranked #5 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Great autumn trip experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed at the West Dover Inn for two nights in early autumn, using a Living Social deal. The first night we were there, we were the only guests in the inn. Throughout the entire trip, the owner was friendly and helpful. He even sat down with us during breakfast our first morning there and highlighted on a map several suggested routes for us to take during our trip based on what we told him we wanted to do.

The suite (North Suite) was very clean and cozy, and the food at the Tavern was delicious.

We definitely plan on staying again next year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

First the good: the Inn, really a bed and breakfast, is easy to reach from New York, and everyone working there is very friendly. There is a lively pub attached to the Inn, and it is very popular with locals. There was live music playing the night I arrived and the bar area, which seats about 20, was full of nice people enjoying their local beers and home cooked food. The bedroom was pretty well maintained and the bed was very comfortable. Since everything closes down at 9pm, it's good that there was cable TV in the room because there's nothing going on after 9pm and nothing nearby seemed open. Now for the not so good: I like a cool room but as there is no thermostat in the bedroom, it was just too cold for my taste. Yes I slept well BUT I dared not get out from under my 2 blankets. Additionally, while this is an Inn, it really functions as a bed and breakfast, but there was no breakfast (although there is the option in the restaurant to have it at menu prices). It should have been included and as there was no coffee maker in my room either, I didn't even get a cup of coffee in the morning. The inability to control the temperate and not even having a cup of coffee offered made a pretty good stay just a mediocre one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ManhattanWilliam
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband & I stayed at West Dover Inn recently and it was the best get way weekend…. The Inn was wonderful! The staff was great! The food was outstanding! I can't wait to travel there again. I would recommend this Inn to anyone who wants a great and relaxing getaway to Vermont.
Mary from Boston

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mansfield, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you are looking for a stress free getaway weekend, this is the place to visit. We are frequent customers of the West Dover Inn and as soon as we leave, we start making plans for our next trip back. This is a comfortable, cozy and charming historic inn that has it all:clean rooms, excellent food, friendly staff and an overall relaxing atmoshpere. The history of the inn (opened in 1846) is fascinating and I love sitting at the bar listening to Phil (the owner) tell us stories.
This past weekend we had the added bonus of seeing the the beautiful fall foliage while taking a day trip to Manchester for shopping. Driving through the mountains, watching out for bears, moose and deer is always exciting and something we look forward to.
Phil, we will be visiting your website soon looking for special promotions for our next trip this winter...save us a room please, either the Mount Snow or Haystack Suite will do!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank marieconway
North Easton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I just spent a great weekend at the Inn. It had been awhile since we"d been there and we're pleased to know that it's still as nice as ever. The food never disappoints, our room with a fireplace and jacuzzi was perfect, the entertainment with Jim Flynn was super and the owner and staff are just as friendly & personable as we remembered. Looking forward to going back soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diane F
New Hyde Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My fiance and I recently stayed at the West Dover Inn for four nights. We got a deal through Living Social. We stayed for four nights, the food at the Inn is fantastic and Phil the Innkeeper is awesome. So helpful and makes you feel right at home. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rich T
Richmond Hill, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Like many reviewers for the West Dover Inn, my wife and I came on a LivingSocial package - two nights in a regular room, two breakfasts, a picnic lunch, discounted excursion rental. For the money, this was well worth it.

The regular rooms aren't the height of elegance, but they are tastefully decorated and generally comfortable. The TV was a tiny little old, low-quality tube unit stuck awkwardly in a cupboard. That was a little discouraging to see given that the room next door had a nice wall-mounted flat screen. But, the TV was hardly a focal point of our visit, and I'd find it most regrettable were anyone to make TV a high priority when traveling to such a beautiful place.

They're still dealing with the damage caused by Irene, so there was no heat, but that'll be fixed soon as repairmen where there all day working on it. Our second night did dip into the 50's so we did have to cover up well. I won't lie - there was something a bit off about the bed. I'm not sure what, but I didn't sleep as deeply as I had hoped - some tossing and turning. Maybe it was the unevenness of the old floors resulting in a uneven bed surface - a trade-off staying in such an old place, I guess.

After a 4+ hour drive up from NYC, we weren't terribly adventurous on our day of arrival. But pulling out a chess set from their assortment of board games and enjoying a quiet game in the sitting room made for a pleasant way to pass the time ahead of dinner.

I've reviewed the attached restaurant in a separate review, but I can say that the breakfasts included in the package were FANTASTIC - classic, filling, fresh. If we ever visit the area again without staying in the West Dover Inn, we still might come by for breakfast - it's that good. The dinner food, though not included in our package, was really quite good, too.

The service was really great. Phil loves his business and knows the area very well. On our second day we were committed to taking advantage of the kayak rental from Equipe. Phil gave us wonderful directions and a nice little picnic lunch. Somerset Reservoir is a FANTASTIC place to go kayaking, and with the coupon from the LivingSocial package, it only cost us $27 to rent a two-person kayak. On our departure day, he helped us pick a good hike at Jamaica State Park that we could fit in before having to drive back to New York - considering getting back to the Interstate and all those practical considerations.

It's safe to say that we definitely got our money's worth with the LivingSocial deal. I'm not 100% sold on coming back at full price, when and if we can afford it. We'd probably aim for a higher-quality room instead of one of the basic rooms. But the quality of service does go a long way.

Room Tip: The Green Mountain room was kind of uninspiring in the late afternoon/evening when we arrived, but i...