“Would definitely go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of West Dover Inn

West Dover Inn
Ranked #5 of 12 Dover B&B and Inns
North Reading, Massachusetts
“Would definitely go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Clean, surprisingly quiet, quaint, great food, warm hospitality. Went with a Living Social Deal, was not disappointed. Was welcomed in my room by a bottle of wine and a cheese tray...yummy. Phil was very friendly and helpful with his information. It was all you would want in an Inn. The food at the Inn with outside seating was outstanding along with the service. The location was great, central to all areas. Got all the history from the floods by all the local shopkeepers. My son went to college in VT and we spent a lot of time there exploring all areas. Can't beat the down to earth friendliness and beauty of the State. Just loved it!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

The west dover Inn is a old historic inn with a cozy and relaxed atmosphere. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. They can give you a plan for a day which will have a stop for everyone. The Inn feels like your visiting Grandma's, house with a living area and reading area for you along with your own bedroom to hang out in. We stayed in the green mountain room and it was a decent sized room with nice features. The mattress was not very comfortable but the room was very comforting. The room was very clean even cleaned the walls and under the bed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampstead, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed at the Inn 2 nights via a package that included breakfast (cooked to order) each morning, a picnic lunch and a discount coupon for dinner all at the tavern on the property.
The Inn is beautiful and the room was very nice. Complimentry wine and chocolates were part of our package also. Phil, the innkeeper knows the area well and gave us printed directions to area attractions and explained all in detail.
The area offers plenty to see and do and yet is relaxing and quiet if that is what you wish. I definately will go back to this wonderful place!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl D
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

For my college graduation, my girlfriend got us a weekend getaway at the West Dover Inn, and I can safely say everything was perfect! The Inn itself was a beautiful Vermont Inn, it's one of the oldest still in operation. They do a great job of preserving its history, while making sure you have all of the modern amenities. The staff is what really made this trip wonderful though. Phil was very helpful in showing us what the area had to offer, from breweries to secret swimming holes. Although it doesn't have an actual swimming pool or fitness center, Phil has great suggestions for day hikes and swimming holes! He has several different day trips planned out depending on what your tastes are. The tavern that is attached to the Inn is a gem as well. The prices were reasonable, I enjoyed the 'burger and brew for $9.99' deal frequently.

Definitely want to go back soon! We've heard that there is a GREAT magician that goes every Saturday night as dinner entertainment during the ski season too. This was the perfect VT getaway vacation destination!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Green Mountain Room, which had a fireplace which would have been PERFECT if we were...
1 Thank matthew R
Billerica, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

The biggest pluses are the friendly owner and the restaurant under the same roof. The biggest OKs are the accommodations, but all I need to say there is that you're staying in a house that's just 34 years shy of 2 centuries - this is not a downtown hotel with the latest amenities. Adjust your expectations. The biggest minuses are nothing.

We had a great time relaxing in Southern VT, with lots of help from the owner on how we can spend our days. The breakfasts were good, and the dinner was absolutely delicious. We did a little bit of exploring, a little bit of lounging, and a little bit of chatting with the owner - very pleased with this getaway!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was such a wonderful wonderful place to stay. Phil was extremely hospitable and everyone at the inn was so accommodating and kept us extremely happy. Phil knew the area well and helped plan out a great visit to Vermont. The rooms were beautiful and the inn itself was in a gorgeous Vermont area near the Green Mountains. The food was delicious and the service phenomenal. Definitely would stay again when we're back in Vermont. I would recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

So I just got home from a weekend at The West Dover Inn, and I must say that I had an AMAZING time. Let me start from the beginning:

This weekend I planned to propose to my girlfriend. I decided this needed to be a big production. You (hopefully) only get married once. Phil Gilpin, the innkeeper, was a HUGE help. He recommended a wonderful ranch to go horseback riding (The Mountain View Ranch) as well as a florist to fill the room with flowers (Heather's Flower Shop). He knows the area VERY well and is amazingly friendly. He really goes that extra mile to make you feel welcome, at home, at ease, and taken care of. As a side note, he has as thick Boston accept that reminds me of one of my uncles, whom I love, so that immediately set me at ease.

All of his suggestions added up to a wonderful proposal (in a beautiful meadow with a gorgeous mountain view - that ranch lives up to its name!). I proposed on a Sunday; the flower shop wasn't open on a Sunday. Phil received the flowers on Saturday, before we even GOT to the inn, held on to them, then placed them in the room while we were gone. My now-fiancee (she said yes!) was absolutely thrilled!

The room itself (the Dover Room) was cute. It was a bigger room, designed for families with kids - there were multiple beds. (The multiple beds actually worked out well since one night, I was tossing and turning a bit because I hurt my shoulder during the day, and I knew it would keep my fiancee up, so I slept in the smaller bed.)

The room was well kept, clean, and nice. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were nice (I'm picky about pillows). It also had a Vizio HDTV, which I didn't expect. My laptop has an HDMI output - I could've brought an HDMI cable to watch movies! :) As a side bonus, the conditioning shampoo did some really nice things to my hair - and I have long, thick, occasionally very unmanageable black hair. I could hear the bar beneath us just slightly, but they stopped at 10:30, long before we needed to go to sleep.

Also, free, fast wi-fi. None of this garbage with paying per day, or paying for data. It was free. PERIOD. I cannot STAND it when hotels charge you for wifi. My SO and I were able to enjoy all the streaming Netflix we wanted.

I would've been very happy with all of that, but the 1846 Tavern and Restaurant was FANTASTIC! We went here on a Living Social deal, so we got a $25 credit there. So of course, we tried it the first night. BLOWN. AWAY. I had the panko-fried chicken with this absolutely HEAVENLY maple bourbon cream reduction. It was heaven, heaven I tell you! I poured the rest of the sauce (they're generous with it) on my mashed potatoes, which were creamy and delicious. We had a soft-shell crab appetizer too, which was very crispy and delicious.

My significant other got the scallops, which were spicy, tender, and absolutely wonderful. I've never really loved scallops, but that dish made me a believer. I couldn't decide which one I liked more!

The next night, we returned and I had the demi glazed 12 oz steak (it was huge - none of this, "12 oz before we cooked it" crap like in NYC) which was perfect pink and medium rare. The glaze was thick and delicious. My SO got the honey roasted salmon which she loved.

Also, on the weekend nights we were there, this guy Michael Flynn was playing covers of old 60s rock and folk songs. Really helped set the mood. I enjoyed him immensely.

As a side note: my fiancee and I are from Jersey City, NJ, right across the river from Manhattan. We're used to excellent food and people being enormous jerks all the time. The food at the 1846 was fantastic and exceeded our high expectations for chow. And the people in Vermont? The nicest I've ever met. People were smiling, saying hello, being sweet and unpretentious and kind and... god, it was just so refreshing!! To remember that not everyone is doing the hard sprint through life like we do in the big city. That some people, people who maybe have their heads screwed on a bit straighter than the rest of us, have figured out how to be good at something, do it well, and be really happy while they do it. And to spread that happiness around.

Vermont, man. There's nothing like it.

As a side side side note: I'm Chinese. My fiancee is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed white girl. I didn't get trouble from ANYONE. Not one sideways glance. Nothing. I've been to states where this has been a real issue for us (Pennsylvania, I'm looking at you). None of that in Vermont. I love it here, and can't wait to come back.

3 Thank Justin W