“Nice Location with Good Food”
Review of Hen of The Wood

Hen of The Wood
Ranked #3 of 37 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We dinned on a weekday. We found location of the restaurant was lovely. We sat on the edge of the dining room going out to the porch. It was very nice to have the breeze from the stream to thwart the heat of the kitchen. The place was busy, even do a Tuesday. I recommend making a reservation otherwise you'll be eating at 5 or 9pm.

The food itself was very delicious. My favorite was the zucchini fritters in a lovely honey drizzle. The special app of the night was a very rich spare rib that would have filled me up but since James ordered it he was ready for hanger steak as well. The cheese selection is wonderful with all local cheese. We tried the "verhampshire" and the van trapp "Oma". Both were a lovely semi soft/formed cheese. They serve it with a semisweet crisp. It is superb.

Definitely an enjoyable night on the town.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were wandering around Burlington on a sunny afternoon, and had just had a dozen overpriced oysters at the Ice House (17$/6). We decided to change venues, and ended up at the Hen of the Wood on Cherry Street. While the "buck a shuck" pulled us in, it was the ambiance, great service and curious menu items that kept us there.

We had a lovely 3 hour meal of small plates, tasting items from rabbit loin, to house-cured ham, to grilled octopus, and beef tartare. The piece de resistance was the cheese plate. We had the sage farm "sterling" which was the best cheese I ever had.

Reservations seem very difficult to obtain, but the walk-in access to the bar of the Burlington location was a winning formula.

After 7 beers, four dozen oysters, six small plates, desert and coffee, the bill totaled 177$. For two people, and 3 hours of food-entertainment, that was a good deal. We will be back.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was one of the best restaurant meals I have ever had. Everything is farm fresh, seasonal and wonderfully prepared. Started with the seasonal snap peas then had the ricotta crepes for an entree. Drinks and desserts also wonderful! This place is expensive and well worth the price if you are looking for a special meal in a romantic and lovely atmosphere. Be sure to check the waterfall in the back!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a wonderful evening and dinner at Hen of The Wood. The whole experience was wonderful. I can't wait to go back. Next time we hope to sit outside and enjoy the waterfall.

1  Thank yellowbirdVermont
Reviewed June 6, 2014

History: I love this restaurant. I live five hours away but make the drive to eat here at least 8-10 times a year for the past eight years. I even have photos of their food hanging in my kitchen.
Have never had a bad thing to say about this restaurant and have savored every single bite of food. Until this evening! Have just returned from dinner and am sitting in my B&B. Spent $180 and am still hungry. Don't get me wrong. The food is still prepared very well but the dining experience is much less enjoyable. First of all.......$5 for bread and butter. Really? The bread you used to give us FOR FREE was much better and was FREE. Secondly, the portions are now much smaller. The fried oysters is a dish that hasn't changed in years except this evening the portion was at least half the size. The actual plates are smaller, too. YES we noticed. And the portions are smaller. Oxtail stew with cavatelli was excellent but WAY overpriced for the portion received. I studied faces of other diners as they were being served these small plates and I
believe most people were thinking the same thing I was. What used to be an exceptional evening of dining pleasure has now turned into an evening where I feel I am starting to be taken advantage of. I think the owners need to hire someone skilled in the hospitality business.
I will probably try the Burlington location but I may have to rethink my devotion to this restaurant. I guess all good things must come to an end. For those of you who don't mind being taken for granted my prediction is that it soon will be easier to get a reservation at Hen of The Wood. Ouch!

4  Thank pianomandds

Been to Hen of The Wood? Share your experiences!