“A Cornucopia of Gustatory Delight”
Review of Hen of The Wood

Hen of The Wood
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
New York City, New York
“A Cornucopia of Gustatory Delight”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Now this is a wonderful restaurant! We lived in Europe for many years & Hen of the Wood is equal to many of the 2-3 Michelin Star top restaurants in France & in Switzerland. Every year that we come to Stowe, we call 2 months in advance to make sure we have a table reserved for a fantastic dinner. The great food, superb services and the warm & inviting ambiance make for a celebratory evening. Now that Hen of the Wood has just opened a new restaurant in the Hotel Vermont in Burlington, we are making plans to imbibe at this 2nd location. We can't wait!

Frank & Jeanie Felberbaum

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Frank F

New Hampshire
“Stellar dining experience”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This is a very special and unique place. The food is so uniquely prepared and flavored with delightful service. You should plan to reserve a few weeks ahead. Take time to see the setting outside. The waterfall is lovely. You feel like you're in another world. No rush, full on pampering, food to delight the mind, body and spirit.

• Visited October 2013
Burlington, Vermont
“If you are looking for a five star experience, this is the place!!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I asked my husband to take me to an amazing restaurant for my birthday. He surprised me by taking me to Hen of the Wood. What a great meal!! To be warned, the food here is GOURMET. If you are looking for regular, boring food, this is not the place for you. If you're picky or don't want to try new things, this is not the place for you. I however, LOVED my time here. It started with my appetizer, corn soup with pork belly. It was a new thing for me to have the hot soup poured over the dry ingredients right in front of me. This soup, was one of the best soups I've ever eaten. The creamy sweet corn with the crispy pork belly? Oh! I wish I had some right now....My husband had a rabbit app that was out of this world as well!! Onto our meals, I had the hangar steak and my huband the rabbit. Both were incredible......But dessert was spectacular to say the least....I had a chocolate mousse type dessert (I can't remember the name of it). It was the BEST chocolate mousse I've EVER had. Ever. The atmosphere is beautiful and very romantic. I love the stonework walls and the open kitchen. Would HIGHLY recommend if you are looking for a truly unique dining experience with incredible food to boot. Will come back as the menu changes!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank starchild22222
Houston, Texas
“Delicious and inventive”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We like to choose places which are creative, but especially where the food is inventive and delicious...Hen of the Wood is all of that! The ambiance is wonderful...great place to enjoy dinner with your spouse. Romantic and charming with great service.

Visited October 2013
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you like creatively prepared real food...”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Make a reservation early! We went for our anniversary/mother-in-law's birthday on our road trip though New England. We all shared a cheese sampler (and their delicious bread) and my husband and I split a starter (smoked fish toast), an entree (milk dumplings) and a side dish (new potatoes) which left us so stuffed we couldn't handle dessert. We thoroughly enjoyed every bite and even the parents (who like a more steak and potato diet) liked it too. Yes, it's a bit on the pricier end, which might be due to trying to source locally and not using fillers, but it was definitely worth it especially for a special occasion. Our only complaint is that the lighting was too low. We felt like we were straining and since it was late it only made us tired.

• Visited October 2013