“WOW.....better than I thought” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hen of The Wood
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“WOW.....better than I thought”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I were planning a weekend "get-away" to the Stowe area and made reservations based on TripAdvisor reviews. Not only was the location beautiful (right beside a waterfall), the service was impeccable. We had a carafe of Hen of the Wood labeled Pinot Noir, that was a nice understated floral bouquet and a perfect pairing for the appetizers and dinner selections. The smoked blue fish was great, but the fried oysters (clean and not greasy at all) were superb as appetizers. For dinner we had hanger steak which was great, but the other dish was rabbit on top of goat's milk dumplings. WOW......absolutely unforgettable. The sauces on both dishes were superb, but the duck was one of the absolute best dishes I have ever had...... Dessert was the chocolate mousse with creame brulee with a scoop of lavander ice cream. Again....WOW.
To top it off, the owner chef took a second from his cooking to thank us for coming to his restaurant.
It was a perfect evening....the staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and attentive.
To sum it up....the smoked blue fish and the steak were very good, but the oysters and the rabbit were outstanding.The sauces on all dishes were to die for.
I would almost say this place is worth the trip from Newport RI, just to go to dinner.

Florida
“Worth a Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I dined at this restaurant based on a recommendation from someone in Burlington, VT. Lucky us!

As we arrived, we weren't quite sure if we were in the right place, as there is another business in the building and quite frankly it is not well marked. Perhaps it is all part of the experience.

After you enter the door to the building you then have to go down a flight of stairs to the restaurant. The candle light at the bottom of the staircase gave it a magical feel (btw the artist Tabbatha Henry makes the beautiful candleholders and is located in the same building). We were greeted by a very friendly hostess who gave us a table by the window overlooking the river and waterfall (again magical).

Our server was very delightful and knowledgeable. To start, the bread and butter were absolutely delicious. For appetizers we ordered the grilled octopus - delicious and for the mains I had the special pasta with short ribs (need I say more) and my husband had the fish. All of this followed by a cheese plate.

We truly cannot say enough wonderful things about this restaurant. From the décor, to the service, wine and the food, all of which make a truly wonderful restaurant and dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank AlwaysgoneFlorida
Craftsbury Common, Vermont
“OUTSTANDING!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I have been wanting to try Hen of the Wood for a few years now but couldn't seem to get the timing right and book early enough. If you're trying for a weekend reservation call early. We went for our anniversary and it was perfect! We got their, ordered and were offered to walk out on the balcony to watch the rushing river. One of the waitstaff even offered to take our picture :-) We tried the Willoughby cheese from Jasper Hill Farm in Greenboro, VT and fried oysters to start our evening...both were out of this world. We split two entrees...the Acadian Red Fish (first for both of us) and the Hanger Steak...again out of this world. To splurge even further we shared the chocolate pot de creme and instantly went into the most wonderful food coma!!! This was the perfect location for our anniversary and well worth the wait. We'll be back VERY soon :-)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
New Paltz, New York
“About as Romantic as it Gets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The riverside patio with its crashing waterfall was a perfect place for cocktails and photos to post for making friends jealous.
The server was very pleasant and extremely well informed. The wine list well thought out and reasonably priced, with wines by the bottle, glass or carafe.
The food was, in most cases, amazing. Standouts were the simple cucumber app with creme fraiche and pickled onions, the steak tartar with duck egg, the lobster gratin, and the strawberry shortcake with buttermilk sorbet.
The atmosphere inside was warm, lit well enough to see each other and calm enough to have long conversation.
A really memorable night out with my favorite person.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Is There Something Above Excellent?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Okay, I won't be bashful: we've eaten at fabulous restaurants of all stripes around the world. When we came to Hen of the Wood, I held my breath because the other "top" restaurants in the area were just pretty average. This one blew our socks off, though, and we begged our inn owner to finagle us another reservation (no such luck, but due to unexpected flooding in the area--with subsequent cancellations--we did get in for a second dessert one night). The gristmill location is amazing, surely this was the best location of any of the restaurants we enjoyed, even though there were no mountains to look at. The interior was stunning and different (if you like the candleholders, do what I did and get the potters' business card on the floor above). The service was professional but cozy. The food, oh Lord, when can I come back? The lobster appetizer, the hangar steak entree, and the chocolate pot-de-creme was like eating in heaven. The presentations were precious (in a good way!) Head and shoulders above anything else we encountered during a week in Stowe. Thank you to all who make the place work!

Visited July 2013

Been to Hen of The Wood? Share your experiences!