“Perfect on all counts!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Mass., USA
“Perfect on all counts!”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband & were spending the weekend in Stowe for a wedding so we had Friday night to enjoy a fine dining experience. When looking at trip advisor for Stowe nothing was jumping out at me as a fine dining experience and was tempted and actually made reservation in Burlington. Then I decided to write the concierge at the Green Mountain Inn where we where staying and they thankfully recommended Hen of the Wood.

When I called for a reservation about a week and a 1/2 before all they had available was a 9pm. I was a bit disappointed it was so late but I grabbed it. Then I decided to call again a few days later to see if anything opened up earlier or if they could put me on a cancellation list. The woman said she had 8:30 at a window box seat if I didn't mind that. She explained it was a bar like seat. No problem - 8:30 was better then 9!

The restaurant is about 15 minutes from the center of Stowe in a residential area. As we arrived we saw people in the back of the restaurant looking out. We approached and there was a gorge all lit up with rushing water. Very pretty. We went down the stairs and met the hostess who brought us to our table. We loved our window box table and I would say it is the best in the house! It's about a 6 foot long bar table with high chairs in front of a big beautiful window overlooking the gorge. It was an amazing evening and all the windows were open. The rushing water added to the ambiance. We were away from all other diners and felt like we were in our own little world. Before our appetizers arrived the waitress advised us a table opened up & if we would like to move - No Way!
There are also 3 tables outside on the patio in front of the gorge. I am sure that would be an enjoyable experience too. The waitress advised us to feel free and walk around. The outside and interior were just beautiful. Dining in an old git mill, with rushing water wood beams, stone interior walls with tea lights tucked inside was just quintessential Vt.

Now for the service and food. Our waitress was very,very nice. She explained the restaurant, the chef and menu. We were not rushed at all and she went into detail as we had a few more questions. We started with a quick bite of corn fritters drizzled in honey. Delicious and she even told us how to make them. We each had a salad, Mine was mixed greens, with fresh blueberries & hazelnuts and my husband had greens with roasted carrots and feta. We both enjoyed our combinations. For an entree I had the fresh goats milk gnocchi with corn and summer squash. I thought my portion looked small when it arrived but believe me it was more then enough and I could not even finish. My husband after much debate went with the hanger steak cooked medium rare. We both were extremely happy with our choices. I saved a little room for desert which we split. Blueberry cake ( which was a small circular cake) with lemon curd and fresh blueberries in a bit of a syrup! Yum!!!

This is one of those places I would say that I would go to Stowe just to have dinner at Hen in the Wood. I hope I have an opportunity to visit again. If you live in the area you are lucky! I hope Hen in the Wood was not damaged by Irene. I left Vt the morning of the hurricane to get back to Mass and I know how devastating it was. Hope all is well!

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank wanttogonow_9

boca raton
“Outstanding Meal”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Very picturesque restaurant with view of waterfalls. Excellent creative menu and the service was terrific.

• Visited August 2011
“Unique dining experience”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Loved the old grist mill atmosphere. Fabulous fried oyster appetizer. The hangar steak was wonderful. The Hen of the Woods toast a must! Chocolate Ganache dessert was decadent!

Montpelier, Vermont
“Best Restaurant in Vermont, Period.”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I couldnt possible say enough to articulate the quality of the food at Hen of the Wood. Local, fresh, prepared perfectly everytime, great selection, and an always changing menu. I've been there about 5 times now and it actually gets better each visit. Staff is knowledgable, professional and friendly.

Complaints would be that the space is too small so its hard to get reservations in short notice which gets frustrating. No bar area to sit at so you can't just pop in on a whim.

Finally I do wish they had a better vegetarian selection considering the area and audience they serve, it would be well recieved.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Skibum1971
Stowe, Vermont
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My wife and I have been eating at Hen of the Wood about 3 or 4 times a year since it opened a few years ago. The restaurant is set on the lower level of an old grist mill on the Waterbury river and the ambiance is about as good as it gets and very very Vermont. The restaurant is small with an open to view kitchen. The tables are well spaced and the room is quiet, enabling you to have a conversation without shouting. Service is professional and attentive. Almost all of the food choices are from local sources including the meats. Preparation and presentation is generally excellent and after many visits I can only remember returning something to the kitchen once ... slightly undercooked halibut. When it returned to the table it was perfect.
Some things of note:
1. Portions are on the small side. If you're looking for a big filling meal go elsewhere.
2. The drink selection (if you prefer a pre-dinner cocktail rather than wine) is limited. For example, they only stock two vodka choices and one of them is a local Vermont label.
3. Book well in advance. This place is small and popular with the locals and tourists alike.

• Visited July 2011