“Great lunch in Waterbury”
Review of Blackback Pub

Blackback Pub
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Waterbury
Cuisines: Pub
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Great lunch in Waterbury”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

On the way to Stowe, we needed lunch. And, of course, wanted to sample some of the brews on tap that Waterbury is famous for. The Blackback Pub was the perfect spot. Small but cozy, friendly barkeep. We ordered Hill Farmstead, a very pretty beer, ordered some tacos from Mad Tacos (now located and serving inside the pub) and enjoyed a tremendous meal. The tacos were spectacular--almost like you were in L.A. (a very rare moment for New England). It was around noon on a Saturday in late February, and we had the whole bar to ourselves--a rare quiet moment, no doubt, for the pub. Soon other patrons arrived, we just might have been early for lunch. Also, you cannot pass up tasting and indulging in the many "home made" salsas they've mixed up, rated by heat and each given their own special names, to pour onto your tacos. Delicious beer! Superb tacos! Great place! What a surprise find in the middle of Vermont.

• Visited February 2013

Vermont
“I tried, and I tried”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I really, really wanted to love this bar. I have been in probaby ten times. And I am always very reticent to post a bad review unless it is truly warranted. The last time I went in here, to give it yet another shot, I vowed that was it. My days of hanging out in a college bar are (thankfully) far behind me. I haven't been in since Mad Taco came. That is a great addition, but even that isn't enough to draw me back in. Frankly, it's dirty. And some sexist remarks by the owner clinched the deal for me. If you aren't bothered by those things, the beer list is exceptional and lots of my friends love the place and keep trying to get me to come back. Try it for yourself and prove me wrong. I'd love to have my mind changed.

• Visited December 2012
Essex, New York
“Interesting beers & Mad Taco Food”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went here because we heard Mad Taco had taken over the kitchen, which is why I rate this place very good. If I was basing it on the bar alone = average at best. We ordered a couple tacos and a wet burrito. They were excellent. In fact, it may have been the best burrito I have ever had (mole sauce was perfect). This place is not fancy and food is served on paper plates with plastic utensils. Some very cool beers on tap that you probably will not find many places.

The pub itself is kinda cool, but it looks like is was decorated by a college kid on an acid trip. The walls look fingerpainted, mixed in with crumbling exposed brick. Bar is beat up and equipment looks old (or dirty?), hard to tell. Had a nice flat screen TV over the bar, but it looked like someone threw a beer on it and never wiped it off. We never took our jackets off while eating/drinking because it was cold in there. I didn't see any heater, ducts, etc.

Bartender was friendly and she knew her beer. We'd go back, but this place probably isn't for everyone.

• Visited February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“The beer bar you will compare everything to from now on!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

The only negative for me is that this place is so far from where I live! What a special spot. The best beers in the world, Lawson's, Hill & Allagash, just to name a few. A super chilled out owner & the atmosphere/can't explain just love it. Stop here for a drink before or after dinner. They currently only have a cheese board so that is why I say that. Make this stop a priority.

Dallas, Texas
“Great beers, great atmosphere”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is THE PLACE in Vermont to go for the best and hardest to find Vermont made beers. Six Hill Farmsteads and a couple Lawsons tap when we visited. The owner is a funny, well travelled guy who genuinely enjoys his customers. As my wife said "Thank goodness they aren't in our town (Dallas). You would be there everyday."

Visited September 2012

Been to Blackback Pub? Share your experiences!