“BIg disappointment”

Saint Louis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BIg disappointment”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I found Resevoir online and read the reviews. I was really excited about this place. The menu looked great. I went on a Sunday night. I am a business traveler so I was by myself. I pay particular attention to how restaurants treat single diners. In my experience that is the bedrock of the service experience at a restaurant. The places that do it well are some of my favorites. I ordered a glass of wine (after I asked for a wine list) and looked over the menu. I hadn't made up my mind so when the waitress came back with the wine, I just ordered a cup of their potato leek soup which is a regular menu item and said she could put that in while I picked an entre. It took FOREVER for the soup to come - so long I thought she had forgotten it - and there was almost nobody in the place. The soup had a drop of truffle oil on top which was a nice touch, but it seemed watery and otherwise bland. I dumped in the little bag of oyster crackers to give it some texture and add the little bit of salt that it needed. This made it passable. I thought I would try the duck when I looked at the menu on line but then the waitress told me about their specials, one of which was meatloaf stuffed with andouille sausage. That tripped my trigger so I ordered it. I asked for the 5 cheese mac and cheese (in its own little crock) and the carrots as side dishes.
Here is the report:
Meatloaf: tasted ok, but cold. Yes, cold. One of the inside slices was barely warm. I couldn't tell if it had ever been warm or if it just sat too long before it came out. I caught the attention of the bartender who popped over and I told her. She took the plate away. About five minutes later my waitress came back with my food and apologized. Verdict? Inside pieces fairly warm, outside pieces barely warm. I'm not sure what they did to it. Also, it was supposed to have sauce on it. It had none.
Mac and cheese was ok, but was shells rather than typical mac and cheese noodles and although it was hot enough to eat, it sure wasn't steaming. It had a thick layer of some kind of crumbs on top. That part of the dish was not hot either so my suspicion is that my plate just sat around for a while.
Carrots - ok, somewhat overcooked, not very hot either.
Took a long time to get a check, but I wasn't in a hurry - just a note to future diners.
Next time I'm in Waterbury I might try Resevoir again and give an update. But they're only going to get one more chance.

New England
“Great stop on the way to and from Burlington VT”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My girlfriend and I decided to spend the weekend in Burlington VT. On the way up we stopped off in Waterbury to try out the Alchemist Brewery. Sorry to say it wasn't opened yet when we got there, so we tried out the Reservior. We were glad we did. Excellent food and great beer list. Something for everyone. Friendly service and a generally nice atmosphere made it easy for us to decide to stop by again on our way home for sunday brunch. They have a 1lb burger called the Truck Driver. Anyone who is looking to test their stomach capacity needs to try this one. Definitely will be back to the Reservoir, even if the Alchemist is open the next time we go.

New England
“AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2009

My family went here when we were in vermont, and we liked it so much, we ended up eating there every day that we were there. The food was excellent, with something for everybody in my family, despite our very diverse tastes. Menu had enough variety to keep everyone happy, and was very reasonably priced. Service was excellent, prompt and very friendly. We met the owner of the restaurant (in fact, he served us once) and he was young and very pleasant. Two rooms, one set up like a restaurant and one like a bar. Pool table in the back, clean bathrooms, room is air conditioned in the summer. Is very very close to the ben and jerry's factory. Will definitely come here again, and would recommend this to anyone passing through Waterbury. Also, at lunch, everything is a dollar cheaper. thought I'd mention that.

Vermont
“The Reservoir in Waterbury, VT”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Excellent pub and restaurant. Over 30 beers on tap and the best burgers and wings in the area. New ownership and a new customer! Just plain good.