“Nice Tour”

and up
Taste of Vermont Food Tour
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Waterbury
More attraction details
Owner description: For all the euphoric flavors you can't get enough of – especially the ones you can't get in ordinary stores – nobody scoops Ben & Jerry's better than we do at our scoop shops.
Greenville, North Carolina
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Nice Tour”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family and I went down to Waterbury, VT to visit this factory. It was a very hot day, so I expected the place to be packed with people with ice cream on their minds. We parked and saw a big hill to the entrance. Now, I know that eating too much ice cream is not great for the body, but I did not know that I would have to work this hard to earn my ice cream. My family and I walked up the hill, and fortunately, everyone made it. My two daughters would not be deterred from this hill. We walked inside to purchase tickets. My two daughters were free (age 8 and 2), and my wife got in without me paying money because she had Foursquare app on her iPhone that she had shown to the ticket salesperson. I had to pay for myself, which was $10.
The tour was short and not boring. The host doing the tour will tell you a lot of cheesy ice cream jokes, but it all part of the fun and excitement of this tour. After we finished with the tour, we receive some delicious ice cream samples, which my kids were happy to have made it to the end. My only complaint is that the number of booths opened for ice cream. I would think that they would have more booths open for people to purchase ice cream. My kids wanted ice cream, but the line was very long for one booth open that we decided to leave. Overall, it is worth visiting.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
South Bend, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great ice-cream and more!”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Quick, fun 30-minute tour of the "mother ship", as our guide called it, tells you a great deal about the founding of the company and how the ice-cream is made. Then you get a sample of a freshly made local flavor. Our tour guide was a middle-aged 7-footer who retired from a tech job and does this for fun. The other staff were very hospitable too -- we forgot our stroller in the car for our infant who fell asleep, and they were happy to lend us one, which was super helpful.

Then there's a regular counter where you can sample or buy any of their flavors. There's also a silly "flavor graveyard" nearby for the discontinued varieties, with a park next to it for kids. And beyond ice-cream there's also pretty decent wood-fire pizza for $5, lemonade for $3, and free spin art for kids. All in all, makes for a fun couple of hours if you're in the area.

Visited July 2012
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fun stop for the kids!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Very fun stop while passing through the area. The tour was moderately interesting, but the ice cream and the flavor graveyard made the stop worthwhile. Definitely a fun stop if you are going to be in the area.

Pottsville, Pennsylvania
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“little disappointed”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We drove up to Waterbruy from Rutland to visit Ben & Jerry's. Even though I'm glad we came here, it was a little disappointing. The tour consisted of a 15 minute film (which I enjoyed) then a walk to what they called a mezzanine to overlook a production areal. Nothing was being done that day. Then visit to a room where we got free samples. It wasnt enough of a tour for the money. But the place and production area was immaculate and for that reason plan to buy more of their ice cream. The people who sold tickets and did the tour were so nice and it seemed they all liked working there and liked Ben and Jerry's. But I'd go again and suggest you do too, unless driiving way out of your way

Norwalk, Connecticut
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Good Rainy Day Activity”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The tour is short and the wait can by long, but you get timed-entry tickets so you do not stand in line. We got a sample of a new, experimental flavor which was fun. They also had some other activities, like spin art and tie-dye to keep you busy.

Visited June 2012

Been to Ben & Jerry's? Share your experiences!