“Needs Some Care”
Review of Old Stagecoach Inn

Old Stagecoach Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Waterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed in room #1 as we felt that room would best fit our needs. The room's furnishings were lovely antiques with the exception of the chairs in the room. The chairs provided uncomfortable seating and needed some repair. The room needed some cleaning issues such as mold on the bottom of the shower curtain liner and some mold in the airconditioner. The worst issue was the presence of good sized spiders that had made there way repeatedly from the front balcony into our room. I found this more than I could comfortably deal with. I made mention of the shower liner and spiders to one of the employees and they assured me they were both sorry and that they would fix those issues. The beds were clean and comfortable. The room faced a very busy street and had a lot of street noise. Breakfast however was delightful. In fact, I would go to The Stage Coach not for the rooms but for the breakfast. Overall, the experience was average with some high and low points.

Room Tip: If possible ask to see the rooms in person prior to booking.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kim d

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We booked our room well in advanced of our trip, over the phone we were told it was $117 a night after the AAA discount the inn gives. When we arrived at the inn the Innkeeper was sitting in the living room reading, but since he didn't get up when we arrived I wasn't sure who he was, but he seemed annoyed when we rang the bell at the desk. He then proceeded to charge my credit card the full price for the room, despite me saying several times that I had my AAA card.
We checked in and went up to our room to check it out. the room was small, but had the potential to be nice. The mattress looked lumpy and the pillows flat, we pulled back the covers, the sheets were of such a low thread count that we could see through to the mattress and mattress pad, the mattress looked old and dirty.
upon leaving the room we noticed a little porch at the end of the hall, which had several chairs and ash trays full of cigarette butts. we then discovered that this smoking porch was right outside our room and one of the windows was directly over the bed.
At this point we decided that neither one of us were comfortable with this space, there was a festival in Waterbury, so all hotel rooms were booked, we relocated to Stowe and had a very nice stay. My husband was able to get our room fully refunded, and we thank the innkeeper for that.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ktbabe87
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Old Stagecoach is a fun and interesting place to stay. The building is very old and the furnishings are a little bit shabby, but is quaint nonetheless. There is a wide variety of room types, some private bathroom and others shared. The breakfast is very good, made-to-order, with a large menu. You'll enjoy the African gray parrot and the pampered dachshund. The owners and the staff are friendly and helpful. It is just down the road from Ben & Jerry's factory and several good restaurants are two blocks away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We booked a room here about a week in advance for one night as a stopping point on our way through to New Hampshire. The rooms with private baths were all booked, but the room we stayed in was perfectly fine (there was a sink in the room, which made the shared bathroom situation less of an issue). Jack checked us in and gave us a quick run-down on breakfast for the next morning, and recommended a quick stroll down the street to one of the restaurants in town for dinner. We spent the post-dinner evening relaxing on the porch, talking with Jack, John, and a few other guests. Breakfast the next morning was fantastic, and felt like a blend between something you might see at a full B&B, a country diner, and a small hotel. There were a handful of selections available to grab at your leisure (fruit, pastries, granola, etc), a few featured specials (ours were blueberry pancakes or a spinach and goat cheese omelet), and a lengthy list of regularly available items (pancakes, waffles, eggs, omelets, and lots of sides) -- all included as part of the stay.

Some have mentioned the resident bird, both in positive and negative lights. While I did hear the bird somewhat in the morning (sounded like it was imitating the squeak of the vintage plumbing a little), we actually found it more humorous that as we walked by the bird would softly call out, "Hello..." -- so soft in fact, we looked around the first time wondering if we had walked past someone without noticing.

One bonus that I was not expecting was that our room was wonderfully cool when we arrived. It was severely hot and humid the day we arrived, and when we stepped into the room the ceiling fan was going and a window A/C unit was blasting cold air. I would definitely stay here again if I'm ever headed to or through the area.

Room Tip: The rooms with private bathrooms will book quickly for the weekends, so book early if you are hoping...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Our first visit to Vermont could not have been more perfect. My family had 4 rooms here for a 3 day weekend and no one was ready to leave. The father and son, Jack and John, are perfect hosts and their fury family Maxi and the parrot are willing to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The rooms are great and the location is prime. This place is comfortable, relaxing and charming and the cooked to order breakfast is sensational. We had rooms in the inn along with the two suites with kitchens, rooms 9 and 10. A great porch with plenty of room to hang out and visit where you can enjoy your breakfast or a glass of wine in the evening. The rooms are clean, quaint and cozy. Nothing modern here but good old fashioned hospitality from the staff that you can't put a price on. There is a great wine bar up the street and several restaurants all within a half block. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. Thank you for a lovely vacation.

Room Tip: No TV in rooms 1-8 but these rooms are more charming. 9-11 have small kitchens, seating areas and TV...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hippy111
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Booked directly by phone for 90$, This is an old school American Inn from the late 19th century, 3 storeys high, full of history. Check in was courteous and was provided my room, which was small but sufficient, with a double bed, which was a bit on the old side. Half the rooms have shared bathrooms so keep this in mind when your booking. The bathroom I used could have been from a museum, with a majestic sink, and an old style bathtub. The bathroom was actually bigger than my room! Also keep in mind the TV is in the common area of the inn, so be aware of this. But I only needed shelter, and this was sufficient.The whole place is filled with curios and antiquities, which is part of the charm of the place. But the best was the breakfast: all you can order goodies, going from egg benedicts (wow!), huevos rancheros (next time), waffle with fruits, whipped cream and real VT maple syrup, home baked breads, pastries and jellies....superb offerings.

If you are looking for modern amenities, look elsewhere...

If you are looking for VT hospitality and great food...this is it! I shall be back.

Room Tip: call the inn directly....
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lubiere
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This was my second visit. I fell in love with the inn during a solo skiing trip several years ago. During that visit I stayed in a wonderful charming room with four poster bed. I recalled a warm welcome and great breakfasts. This time my wife joined me and we opted for a room in the old carriage house - it was full of character with open beams, a deck with glorious mountain views and yet had all the updates that my wife enjoys - lovely bathroom and a small kitchenette - great for making myself tea in the morning - a throwback to my days when I was a subject of Her Majesty, The Queen. The Inn's location is perfect for nearby shops and restaurants.
We had a great meal at a local restaurant "Hen of the Woods". We also enjoyed visits to nearby Maple Sugar Houses, a hike by the Mad River and a visit to Shelbourne Farms. A perfect romantic weekend. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask the innkeepers - Jack and his son Johnny are charming and will guide you according to your taste...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe
#12 of 24 in Stowe
Innsbruck Inn At Stowe
Innsbruck Inn At Stowe
#13 of 24 in Stowe

Been to Old Stagecoach Inn? Share your experiences!