“Perfect stop for a get-away weekend”
Review of Old Stagecoach Inn

Old Stagecoach Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Waterbury B&B and Inns
Northwestern CT
“Perfect stop for a get-away weekend”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We booked a room here about a week in advance for one night as a stopping point on our way through to New Hampshire. The rooms with private baths were all booked, but the room we stayed in was perfectly fine (there was a sink in the room, which made the shared bathroom situation less of an issue). Jack checked us in and gave us a quick run-down on breakfast for the next morning, and recommended a quick stroll down the street to one of the restaurants in town for dinner. We spent the post-dinner evening relaxing on the porch, talking with Jack, John, and a few other guests. Breakfast the next morning was fantastic, and felt like a blend between something you might see at a full B&B, a country diner, and a small hotel. There were a handful of selections available to grab at your leisure (fruit, pastries, granola, etc), a few featured specials (ours were blueberry pancakes or a spinach and goat cheese omelet), and a lengthy list of regularly available items (pancakes, waffles, eggs, omelets, and lots of sides) -- all included as part of the stay.

Some have mentioned the resident bird, both in positive and negative lights. While I did hear the bird somewhat in the morning (sounded like it was imitating the squeak of the vintage plumbing a little), we actually found it more humorous that as we walked by the bird would softly call out, "Hello..." -- so soft in fact, we looked around the first time wondering if we had walked past someone without noticing.

One bonus that I was not expecting was that our room was wonderfully cool when we arrived. It was severely hot and humid the day we arrived, and when we stepped into the room the ceiling fan was going and a window A/C unit was blasting cold air. I would definitely stay here again if I'm ever headed to or through the area.

Room Tip: The rooms with private bathrooms will book quickly for the weekends, so book early if you are hoping...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Our first visit to Vermont could not have been more perfect. My family had 4 rooms here for a 3 day weekend and no one was ready to leave. The father and son, Jack and John, are perfect hosts and their fury family Maxi and the parrot are willing to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The rooms are great and the location is prime. This place is comfortable, relaxing and charming and the cooked to order breakfast is sensational. We had rooms in the inn along with the two suites with kitchens, rooms 9 and 10. A great porch with plenty of room to hang out and visit where you can enjoy your breakfast or a glass of wine in the evening. The rooms are clean, quaint and cozy. Nothing modern here but good old fashioned hospitality from the staff that you can't put a price on. There is a great wine bar up the street and several restaurants all within a half block. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. Thank you for a lovely vacation.

Room Tip: No TV in rooms 1-8 but these rooms are more charming. 9-11 have small kitchens, seating areas and TV...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hippy111
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Booked directly by phone for 90$, This is an old school American Inn from the late 19th century, 3 storeys high, full of history. Check in was courteous and was provided my room, which was small but sufficient, with a double bed, which was a bit on the old side. Half the rooms have shared bathrooms so keep this in mind when your booking. The bathroom I used could have been from a museum, with a majestic sink, and an old style bathtub. The bathroom was actually bigger than my room! Also keep in mind the TV is in the common area of the inn, so be aware of this. But I only needed shelter, and this was sufficient.The whole place is filled with curios and antiquities, which is part of the charm of the place. But the best was the breakfast: all you can order goodies, going from egg benedicts (wow!), huevos rancheros (next time), waffle with fruits, whipped cream and real VT maple syrup, home baked breads, pastries and jellies....superb offerings.

If you are looking for modern amenities, look elsewhere...

If you are looking for VT hospitality and great food...this is it! I shall be back.

Room Tip: call the inn directly....
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lubiere
Ridgewood, NJ
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This was my second visit. I fell in love with the inn during a solo skiing trip several years ago. During that visit I stayed in a wonderful charming room with four poster bed. I recalled a warm welcome and great breakfasts. This time my wife joined me and we opted for a room in the old carriage house - it was full of character with open beams, a deck with glorious mountain views and yet had all the updates that my wife enjoys - lovely bathroom and a small kitchenette - great for making myself tea in the morning - a throwback to my days when I was a subject of Her Majesty, The Queen. The Inn's location is perfect for nearby shops and restaurants.
We had a great meal at a local restaurant "Hen of the Woods". We also enjoyed visits to nearby Maple Sugar Houses, a hike by the Mad River and a visit to Shelbourne Farms. A perfect romantic weekend. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask the innkeepers - Jack and his son Johnny are charming and will guide you according to your taste...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife, our nine year old son, and I had a wonderful time at the Old Stagecoach Inn during our first stay there over President's Day weekend. The breakfast was superb and the rooms were very comfortable. In the evening, guests gathered in the parlor, with a warm fireplace and African Gray parrot, and a couple of happy dogs. The evenings were even more enjoyable with the friendliness of long time guests who made us feel like members of their family.
Good restaurants are within walking distance and you'll be equal distance between Stowe and Sugar Bush.
I think we'll try taking the train from Washington DC the next time we go. The train stops at the Waterbury train station which is also home to Green Mountain Coffee.
If you go, get a signed copy of Jack's book, "My War". I just finished reading it and recommend it to anyone, not just WW II buffs. It is well written, gives the reader a real sense of what wartime New York and Hawaii were like, and it's funny.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
princeton
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is a fine old inn in the village of Waterbury. Roughly equidistant to Stowe, Sugarbush and Bolton Valley -- so you can wake up in the morning, assess conditions, and go where the skiing is best. Great discounts on lift tickets for the Sugarbush and Bolton Valley. Walking distance from a couple of eateries in town. The inn has a warm feel. Living room downstairs with fireplace. Parrot (who was not a disturbance at all) and a friendly but laid back dog. Tiny pub inside, really for guests; nice to have a drink, chat with other guests, and then head upstairs. Fantastic, large breakfast included in rate. We had a large second floor room in the front of the house with a queen four-poster bed and private bath (room #2 on the inn's website); our teenager had a smaller room with hall bath (#3). The father and son owners, Jack and John, are friendly and aim to please; ditto for the wait-staff in the breakfast dining room.

Room Tip: We took a peek at the kitchenette apartments. Entry to those are from outside, off the porch. They...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
boston
Reviewed January 12, 2012

this is in response to waltphotography and dlynn....did you realize that the stagecoach had just been destroyed by Irene a few weeks before your visit? Try being a bit more sensitive, instead of kicking people when they just lost so much...and the idea of complaining that a gentleman well into his 80's that had a stroke didn't help you bring your luggage upstairs, is shameful!

I've been staying here for the last 3 years and love it. I bring groups of 20+ up twice a year...We are well traveled and live in the Boston ( no shortage of great places to stay )

I will continue to recommend this gem!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank vermontbaby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterbury
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe
#13 of 24 in Stowe
Capitol Plaza
Capitol Plaza
#2 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Old Stagecoach Inn? Share your experiences!