“Wonderful Experience”

Sugarbush Mountain Ski Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Warren
More attraction details
Owner description: One of New England's major commercial ski areas.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Let me start by saying that my family is new to skiing. We were in Vermont visiting relatives, and we saw a deal where you can learn to ski, rent, and take a 90-minute lesson for $29 per person (also a limited lift ticket is included). They had this deal for the month of January and only a limited amount per day. I thought, "heck yeah! Let's try it!" I believe the ski resort industry has begun this program to introduce people to the sport and hopefully create a nice enough experience that they keep coming back. I hadn't skied in over 20 years, nor had my wife. My kids had never really been. By the end of the lesson, I could ski again, my wife was back to it and my son (age 10) was good enough to ski the beginner slopes. My daughter (age 6) had a few of the basics, but was well on her way. She didn't want to leave because she was having so much fun.
My wife and I had quite possibly the best ski instructor in the world. OK, he is the only ski instructor I have ever had, but he was still awesome. He taught us the very basic premise of skiing, instilled confidence and a few important skills. We had 5 people in our group and by the end of the 90 minutes, we were all skiing down the hill without falling and in complete control. If you are looking for an adult beginners instructor, ask for Gary at Sugarbush. He told us he has been teaching skiing for 40 years and only teaches adult beginners - he knows his niche and clearly enjoys it.
Here is what I liked abou the children's lessons: you drop them off and go. They took care of fitting them for their rentals, feeding them, keeping the warm, and teaching them to ski. I had to worry about nothing other than getting them there. They have this down pat.
The resort seems to really want you to have a good time. They take care of the little things so you feel at home. For example, it was pretty darn cold up there, and everyone has runny noses, so they had tissue boxes everywhere. Beats using your sleeve. What a good idea!
The kids liked the "Magic Carpet" lift, which is a giant conveyor belt that takes you up the hill. It is a very easy way to get people up the hill without the J-Bar or T-Bar pulling you up. Every resort should have one of these on their beginner slopes.
The nice thing about their regular chair lifts is the 2-speeds. The chair is slow to pick you up, but once it is going, it speeds up to get you to the top faster, then when it gets to the drop-off area, it slows down again. Another ingenious idea to move people fast and safely.
Bravo Sugarbush! You got me and my family hooked on skiing, you made the experience enjoyable and you earned a new customer. Next time we are in Vermont during ski season, we will definitely return. I look forward to exploring the rest of the mountain.

There are newer reviews for Sugarbush Mountain Ski Resort

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Great mountain - fun trails - nice people that work there! We really enjoyed our trip to Sugar Mountain!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

When Sugarbush is good, it is awesome. When it is crowded, it really stinks. Of course going up the lift line as a single helps (luckily my young kids are OK with this) a lot, no need to wait in those nightmarish lines for too long. Once up a quad, if the chairs to the very top are actually open, then you feel like you have some space. Otherwise, it all funnels down to the lodge, and there are just too many people crisscrossing every which way. For the price they charge, they should be making a heck of a lot more snow overnight. I do however love Jester, Snowball, and any other blue run that can get me from top to bottom. As I said, when the conditions are good, it is great there. But don't waste your money when crowded or crappy weather.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This review maybe a little biased since we go to Sugarbush every year. However, it maybe because each year they get better and better. They have gone out of their way to increase service and attractions. Their brand new Sugarbear Ski School facility is one of the nicest (and largest) I have ever seen. My son learned to snowboard several years ago there prior to the schoolhouse being built and the instructors were always top notch, friendly, and went out of their way to check up on the kids even after they were no longer in lessons. Timbers Restaurant has excellent food. Castlerock is always a good time. Claybrook is a must stay. Beautiful mountainside condos. Extra mountain activities every weekend such as fireworks, torch run, etc. This is not party town, so don't expect late nights or frat party central. A great family resort and still reasonably priced compared to some of the other resorts in the Northeast. Great terrain for all levels and super service.

1  Thank npdsgt618
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We visited three different resorts on consecutive days; Stowe, Smugglers Notch and Sugarbush. Sugarbush was far and away the best experience. The staff was excellent all over the mountain and the skiing was great. We'll be back!