“Pathetic”
Review of 1824 House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waitsfield
1824 House Inn
Ranked #12 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2005

After watching my sister and her new husband spend literally thousands of dollars at the 1824 house for their wedding I think it is fair to say myself and the other members of the wedding party that stayed there were THOROUGHLY disappointed. One of the owners, Karl, has no clue as to the meaning of customer service. He was snooty and cared more about his “house rules” than the satisfaction and happiness of his customer. Karl even had the gall to not serve myself and THE GROOM breakfast because we were half an hour late (cutoff was 9:30am we got there at 10am). A bowl of cereal, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or anything would have been nice since it was the day of the wedding and breakfast had already been paid for. Other examples: after not planning for enough beer and running out, Karl went to the store and bought 4 cases and charged my sister $192. When trying to figure out how to get our father’s wheelchair up their drive way Karl said “that’s not my problem!”. I am sure others will write more examples in their reviews, stay tuned…

In closing, I think it would be a shame for the current owners of the 1824 House to continue to treat their future customers this poorly and make money in doing so!

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank P Sean M
There are newer reviews for 1824 House Inn

A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed May 18, 2005

I am sorry that two reviewers felt that the hosts were inhospitable; my experiences (having stayed at this inn at least 8 times, including several times under the previous proprietors) have been excellent in that department. I have been made to feel right at home at the 1824 House on each and every stay, and when I have brought my family to the Inn, they were treated warmly as well. When I came through the area on a through-hike of the 270-mile Long Trail in Vermont, Karl and John received packages for me, allowed me to do my laundry there, fed me dinner even though I arrived on one of the two nights a week they were closed for dinner, and drove me to the post office and back to the trailhead!

John's cooking is excellent and truly a treat. Even his "just whipped this up" dinners are mouth-watering.

The only problem I have ever had was not with the hospitality but with the nature of an old home - sound carries and if other guests or dinner guests are being loud, you will hear it if you are in the older part of the farmhouse.

Waitsfield has several excellent inns that I would heartily recommend and return to; this is one of them!

• Stayed: February 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 29, 2005

We stayed for one night and were happy it was only one night.

The only good thing--the rooms are clean, the feather beds quite comfortable, and breakfast was yummy.

HOWEVER--when you stay at a B&B, you are paying for more than a room. You are paying for hospitality, conversation, afternoon tea/drinks/meeting, and a friendly atmosphere. We got NONE of the above. We arrived, after a 4 hour drive in the pouring rain, trudging through mud in the front yard, to a host who shouldn't be called a host. He barely welcomed us before leading us to a room, through the kitchen and by large slobbering dogs, and locked us in. Seriously. He never told us when breakfast would be, he never gave us a key, he never mentioned any afternoon tea time. We sat there for a while before deciding to go out and explore. We walked back by the big slobbering dogs, past the kitchen, into an empty parlour where we sat and looked around. We read the signed guest book, full of entries saying "John and Karl are wonderful! So hospitable!" We wondered where we were. We got up to taste a cookie that was in the entry way (having read in a magazine about their famous cookies) but after a taste, wondered if they were, indeed, plastic. After staying in the parlour for half an hour, we left, headed out to a nice dinner, and returned to the room. Only in the morning did we meet the second host and were forced to listen to guests next to us complaining about the lack of tomato juice and how one sad old man wanted to stay in the bride's room for an upcoming wedding. All we could do was laugh, and get out. Also, the receipt for the room had a tip place on it! How odd.

If you want hospitality, go somewhere else. Maybe it was that we were only staying 1 night, maybe it was that we are women, but for whatever reason, our hosts need a lesson in how to run a bed and breakfast.

7  Thank KristaEG
Reviewed September 4, 2004

We were part of an Inn to Inn horseback riding vacation during the last week of August '04. The brochure sited the Inn keeper John, as having a TV show and a cook book promising culinary delights--and even listed the menus of gourmet entrees. However, after sitting down to dinner we were served a CHEESEBURGER along with an ear of corn and a salad. --passed around from table to table after the server Carl, set it down and left us on our own. No courses etc. except dessert. We paid over $1200.00 per person double occupancy for the all inclusive 5 day trip so we were shocked to say the least...The menu printed out in
the rooms listed filet mignon stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon etc....NOT!!! However, all of the other local Inns we visited (The Madd River Inn and The Waitesfield Inn provided appitizers, along with extensive gourmet dinners by candlelight which everyone lingered over and enjoyed very much. The rooms were nice but it was obvious our stay there was a money maker with a cheap easy fast dinner thrown in. I would not return nor send anyone else there.

5  Thank momMaryland
Reviewed July 29, 2003

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - the feather bed was so comfortable and the bedding so light that we thought we were floating on air. The owners, John and Karl, have the knack of offering true hospitality to their guests and the breakfasts were delicious - John is a gourmet chef and each day of our stay he created an imaginative feast - we were only sorry we did not get to eat dinner as the summer menu looked divine. The inn is a romantic retreat and hats off to the inn-keepers for not batting an eyelid when a family turned up with two small children who had not been mentioned when the booking was made - and whose mother took over the kitchen to cook the kids' evening meal.
Homemade treats are served at tea-time each day and the lounge is a restful retreat, as is the gazebo in the extensive gardens. Karl was building a deck while we were there so we will have to return to try it out - and to spend another night in one of those wonderful beds.

10  Thank Antal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
#3 of 15 in Waitsfield
Featherbed Inn
Featherbed Inn
#6 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to 1824 House Inn? Share your experiences!