“Skiing Was Bad, But The Inn Was Awesome”
Review of 1824 House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waitsfield
1824 House Inn
Ranked #12 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2009

My partner and I decided at the last minute to head to Vermont for some skiing. We went online and booked our stay at the 1824 House, there prices were the best in that entire area. When we got there, after a rather hectic travel day, we were greeted buy the innkeepers, Trae & John, who are delightful. They had a fire already going and offered us warm beverages. The beds are like sleeping on a cloud and the breakfast the next morning was DELICIOUS! We spent a brief time at the slope as the skiing was really awful, but dinner that night in the 1824 House restaurant, more than made up for it. We are truly looking forward to our next visit there.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for 1824 House Inn

Reviewed November 6, 2008

I stay at the 1824 House any chance I get while visiting Waitsfield. In fact, I enjoy staying there so much that when the Inn is booked, I am sad. The beds are VERY comfortable, food is great, never had a bad breakfast or dinner. Monday night BBQ when available is the best.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband and I spent 2 nights here last week and had a very nice time. As some others have mentioned, we are happy to be on our own and had already planned our days, but we did hear Trey giving sight-seeing advice to others and making a box lunch for some hikers. We were in the Caledonia room, which was very comfortably roomy with a king-sized bed and a sitting area. There was also a small patio outside but unfortunately the weather did not permit us to use that. This room was sufficiently far from the road that we were not bothered by traffic noise. We also enjoyed seeing the dogs, and especially JJ the magnificent Maine coon cat. We ate dinner in the barn restaurant and had fabulous meals both nights. As someone else wrote here, the rack of lamb was wonderful, and so was my husband's steak...both items perfectly done. Service was very good also, and the barn is very atmospheric. Strangely, however, we did not feel the breakfasts were of the same quality as the dinners. Again, to quote another reviewer, "grilled pineapple with balsamic vinegar is an acquired taste"..and I haven't quite acquired it yet. The blueberry crumble coffee cake we had the first morning was excellent, but each of us then received one ok pancake and one burned one! Not good. Sausage both days was very good, however. All in all, we enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Loved the 1824 House Inn. Reasonably priced, comfy bed, and lots of atmosphere. Enjoyed dinner there as well - a little pricey, but they were willing to split an entree for us.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2007

My husband and I were married at the 1824 House Restaurant and spent the weekend with several of our guests in the inn. The inn is beautiful and the grounds are very well kept. The barn is the perfect setting for a winter wedding or a wedding anytime of the year. From the moment we arrived, John and Trae and the rest of the staff were there to accommodate us. Every one of our wedding guests who stayed at the inn absolutely loved it. They enjoyed being able to roam freely and basically have full run of the place as if they were staying at a friends house. I loved John and Trae's dogs and cat. We were initially disappointed we could not bring our own dog but meeting their lovable pets made it alright.
Lisa, the wedding coordinator, and the rest of the staff did a great job bringing our vision of our wedding to life. They went above and beyond and really added those finishing touches that we would of wanted but didn't verbalize. The floor manager ended up supervising a lot of the details on the day of our wedding. I can't recall her name but I wanted to note that she was right on and did a fantastic job being a step ahead of our needs.
The innkeepers are very laid back, which we liked a lot, and they are somewhat hands off, which I read in other reviews. This did not bother us because if we needed something we could easily find them on the grounds. We actually enjoyed that they left us to our own thing but still told us stories and asked us questions when they were around. Breakfast at the inn was wonderful and same goes for the wedding reception food. I highly recommend the 1824 house Inn. The innkeepers are very hospitable and fun. We look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I've traveled all up and down the east coast on business and pleasure and have never run into such a welcoming set of innkeepers. John and Karl went out of their way from the moment we arrived, which happened to be 10:30 pm. They knew we had a rough time getting to Vermont from Ithaca, NY due to a decent sized snowstorm so while we were warming up by the fireplace they brewed a fresh batch of coffee, offered homemade cookies (their chocolate chip ones are the best) and left my fiance and me to unwind at our own leisure, before they headed off to bed. At that point I knew I had chosen the right Inn for my romantic weekend getaway.

The breakfast prepared by John each morning was spectacular. Everything was made from scratch, and he made sure we started our day out right before a long one on the slopes. Which by the way, if you are going up for a ski/snowboard vacation, make sure you take advantage of the packages they offer for discount tickets.

When we arrived back each evening from the slopes John and Karl were anxious to hear how the conditions were and they both offered recommendations for restaurants and night life. And each one was worth while, however, the best restaurant we tried was actually right at the inn. Our last night we decided to treat ourselves to a romantic dinner which was spectacular. It wasn't cheap to eat there, but it was worth every last bit.

Oh before I forget, we stayed in the Caladonia Room, which is located in the rear of the property. It's a great room with a huge bed is almost 100% sound proof from outside noises.

I will definitely be heading back there soon...

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2007

We got married at the 1824 House on September 15th. Everything from the rehearsal dinner BBQ, the accomodations, and the wedding day were perfect. We booked the entire inn for our friends and family. The owner and chef John makes you feel so welcome, like you're already friends. I consider myself to be a good cook but the food here was absolutely amazing. Everything tastes and looks like it came out of the pages of Bon Appetit.

If you are interested in having your wedding at the 1824 House, I strongly recommend it. We were really able to enjoy our entire wedding weekend because we didn't have to think about a thing. John and Trae and the rest of the staff were always on top of everything and took care of all the details. Lisa is the wedding coordinator and is one of the most pleasant people I've ever worked with. But again, you feel like you are friends with her, and all the while she is extremely professional and gets things done.

The property is beautiful and so nicely maintained. The rooms are also beautiful and comfortable.

Everything went so smoothly, we can't think of even one minor glitch even if we think really hard!! We will definitely go back to visit.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank zipdog79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
#3 of 15 in Waitsfield
Featherbed Inn
Featherbed Inn
#5 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to 1824 House Inn? Share your experiences!