“"loved it"”

Ranked #1 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
Boston, New York
“"loved it"”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Our ski club of 50+ arrived at White Horse Inn and immediately were welcomed and accommodated without any complications. The rooms were beautifully decorated, very clean, and the beds were very comfortable! The owners, Bob and Allen, were exceptional hosts and were very accommodating with any requests. The food was exceptional and plentiful for hungry skiers\boarders of all ages! The location was ideal for skiing at Sugarbush, and the Inn is located on the Mad River Shuttle so even though we came in a charter bus you had the option of the shuttle which was FREE.
The Inn has a lower level game room, and bar area. Bar prices were very reasonable and served domestic and local beers, and several wine choices. The game room is still under development, so if bringing children you may want to bring along some activities, current board games, or for example a portable speaker for ipod. The TV does provide Netflix. All bedrooms have their own TV's as well, Free WiFi and cable.
There was only two downfalls: #1---showers/hot water a bit persnickety and #2----we didn't get to stay long enough!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Amherst, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I came here with a group for a ski trip and I can't say enough about the White Horse Inn. There were over 50 of us and they had no problem accommodating our group. This had a small bed and breakfast feel even though there were so many of us. The rooms were beautiful and well kept. The food was wonderful. I just loved all the little extras such as Keurig coffee and tea available any time, cookies appearing for the taking all day long, always someone available for questions and help, beautiful fireplace kept on all the time, and just a friendly, comfortable feel. I would highly recommend this Inn and would definitely come back. It was a perfect location if you are skiing at Sugar Bush.

Hamburg, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent 2 nights here on a ski trip with a group of about 50 people, so we had the entire Inn to ourselves. The staff at White Horse Inn was wonderful, making us feel at home from the moment we arrived. The food was unique and delicious. The rooms were perfect to accommodate everyone, with attached rooms for families. We wanted for nothing and Bob and Allen took care of every need we had. The location of the Inn was perfect for skiing at Sugarbush and Mt. Ellen, with a shuttle running to the resorts, even on Saturday night to return to the lodge for a band after hours. We had an awesome trip.

West Seneca, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We spent 2 night here on a recent ski trip with a group of 52 people. The hospitality was great and the breakfast was outstanding. Fresh pancakes with a little "lemon zest" made your mouth water with local made maple syrup. Bacon and sausage, eggs, yogurt, bagles, cereals, toast, home made mufins too. A good variety of juices and a fruit salad too. Yum.
The Kureg coffee and tea is available 24/7 with homemade cookies/brownies and bars, also very good. The beds were comfortable and the soap and shower gel in the room were made locally, another bonus.Bring your own hair drier if you need one. The shower is a little sensitive with temperature that rises and falls quickly. Had a nice large bathroom. We were in room 109.
The entertainment room kept the teenagers busy with games, TV and checker and chess. Also a nice warm and inviting fireplace with comfortable couches and soft music to relax and unwind. I am a fan.I loved this place, gets a gold star in my book.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I just came back from a ski club trip to SugarBush and we stayed at the White Horse Inn. From the moment we stepped off the bus, Bob was there to greet with our room keys. Eveything was so well organized and run. The food is divine. Absolutely delicious. Allen cooks wonderfully. The cozy atmosphere is just lovely. The fireplace room has teas, coffees. Rasberry ice tea, cookies and mini pastries to enjoy every evening. The rooms are very comfortable. In the lobby several Vermont products are sold which was very nice to take home, such as Vermont Maple syrup from Bob's counsin Billy's local maple farm.
I had a wonderful stay there. I highly recommend the White Horse and look forward to my next trip there.
Thank you.

Boston, MA
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I just spent a fantastic long weekend at the White Horse Inn. New owners Bob and Alan have done a great job of bringing the White Horse back to life. In full disclosure, I work in the hotel business (but paid full rate for my stay). I can be the most critical review around, as it is my job to spot "the little things" that make a difference to the customer in the hotels that I work for.

The Inn was built and the 1970's, so don't expect sleek modern decor, granite countertops, spa bathtubs, elevator/ADA accessibility, etc. The front desk and living room areas have been tastefully decorated and perfectly represent a comfortable Vermont lodge. Our room (306) was spotless, spacious, and featured a very comfortable king sleigh bed, with what seemed to be a fairly new mattress (I'm a stickler for a good mattress!). The Innkeepers Bob and Alan were very attentive without being intrusive. As a guest, I felt that the door to their living quarters was always open (and it was) should I have any issues or concerns.

So what makes the White Horse so special?? I travel (stay in hotels) often for work, and can honestly say that the buffet breakfast prepared by Chef Alan may be the best that I have EVER had at a hotel/lodge. Menu items through the weekend included spiced apple French toast, carrot cake pancakes, breakfast strudel, real maple syrup, high quality bacon and sausage all served with the typical continental breakfast fare (juice, cereals, freshly baked pastries) and gourmet Vermont coffee. My wife and I would actually discuss what wonderful creations Chef Alan would offer for breakfast the next day! The Inn even has a Keurig machine for coffee or hot chocolate (available 24 hours) in the lobby. Every time we visited the living room, there was also complimentary cookies/pastries and flavored iced tea

So now that you've read this and you're thinking there is no way that this is a real review...I must be related to the owners! I will offer a few points of constructive criticism (no one is perfect!) The first floor lobby and hallways have been repainted, but the dining room and game room have not. Bob mentioned that this was on the list, but he wanted to focus on the big projects first (remember, Bob and Alan just purchased the Inn in Fall of 2013, and it had been closed for a few years). A fresh coat of paint in the lower level will certainly freshen up the look. There are no deadbolts or safety chains on the guest room doors. My concern wasn't necessarily about security, more of a privacy issue, as I always use the deadbolt when I spend time in my room (nothing like a surprise visit from a housekeeper while stepping out of the shower-which to clarify did not happen during this stay). Perhaps a simple fix would be a privacy sign to hang on the door? Lastly, morning came early at the Inn. There were quite a few early birds (6:30PM-7AM) opening doors, going down stairs, warming up cars, closing car doors, etc. We were getting up to go skiing anyway, but if you're looking for a place to sleep peacefully until noon, this might not be the place for you (at least during busy ski weekends).

Bottom line, if you're planning a trip (for couples or families) to the Mad River Valley and don't want to break the bank on lodging, you owe it to yourself to check out the White Horse Inn.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bedford, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I don't typically write reviews but Bob and Alan have it going on. Warm & welcoming, comfortable and clean, out-of-their-way friendly. Even met Bob's mom. The great room makes you feel like home w/ warm fire, comfy chairs, and VT craft beer. Breakfast is out of site! Alan is a trained pastry chef all too happy to cook for you; if you leave hungry it's your fault. My son & I planned a day to ski together and needed a room, we were very lucky to discover the White Horse Inn, we'll go back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank David H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
#2 of 7 in Warren
The Waitsfield Inn
The Waitsfield Inn
#7 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!