“White Horse Inn was awesome in every aspect”
Review of White Horse Inn

White Horse Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent 2 nights here on a ski trip with a group of about 50 people, so we had the entire Inn to ourselves. The staff at White Horse Inn was wonderful, making us feel at home from the moment we arrived. The food was unique and delicious. The rooms were perfect to accommodate everyone, with attached rooms for families. We wanted for nothing and Bob and Allen took care of every need we had. The location of the Inn was perfect for skiing at Sugarbush and Mt. Ellen, with a shuttle running to the resorts, even on Saturday night to return to the lodge for a band after hours. We had an awesome trip.

There are newer reviews for White Horse Inn

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We spent 2 night here on a recent ski trip with a group of 52 people. The hospitality was great and the breakfast was outstanding. Fresh pancakes with a little "lemon zest" made your mouth water with local made maple syrup. Bacon and sausage, eggs, yogurt, bagles, cereals, toast, home made mufins too. A good variety of juices and a fruit salad too. Yum.
The Kureg coffee and tea is available 24/7 with homemade cookies/brownies and bars, also very good. The beds were comfortable and the soap and shower gel in the room were made locally, another bonus.Bring your own hair drier if you need one. The shower is a little sensitive with temperature that rises and falls quickly. Had a nice large bathroom. We were in room 109.
The entertainment room kept the teenagers busy with games, TV and checker and chess. Also a nice warm and inviting fireplace with comfortable couches and soft music to relax and unwind. I am a fan.I loved this place, gets a gold star in my book.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I just came back from a ski club trip to SugarBush and we stayed at the White Horse Inn. From the moment we stepped off the bus, Bob was there to greet with our room keys. Eveything was so well organized and run. The food is divine. Absolutely delicious. Allen cooks wonderfully. The cozy atmosphere is just lovely. The fireplace room has teas, coffees. Rasberry ice tea, cookies and mini pastries to enjoy every evening. The rooms are very comfortable. In the lobby several Vermont products are sold which was very nice to take home, such as Vermont Maple syrup from Bob's counsin Billy's local maple farm.
I had a wonderful stay there. I highly recommend the White Horse and look forward to my next trip there.
Thank you.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I just spent a fantastic long weekend at the White Horse Inn. New owners Bob and Alan have done a great job of bringing the White Horse back to life. In full disclosure, I work in the hotel business (but paid full rate for my stay). I can be the most critical review around, as it is my job to spot "the little things" that make a difference to the customer in the hotels that I work for.

The Inn was built and the 1970's, so don't expect sleek modern decor, granite countertops, spa bathtubs, elevator/ADA accessibility, etc. The front desk and living room areas have been tastefully decorated and perfectly represent a comfortable Vermont lodge. Our room (306) was spotless, spacious, and featured a very comfortable king sleigh bed, with what seemed to be a fairly new mattress (I'm a stickler for a good mattress!). The Innkeepers Bob and Alan were very attentive without being intrusive. As a guest, I felt that the door to their living quarters was always open (and it was) should I have any issues or concerns.

So what makes the White Horse so special?? I travel (stay in hotels) often for work, and can honestly say that the buffet breakfast prepared by Chef Alan may be the best that I have EVER had at a hotel/lodge. Menu items through the weekend included spiced apple French toast, carrot cake pancakes, breakfast strudel, real maple syrup, high quality bacon and sausage all served with the typical continental breakfast fare (juice, cereals, freshly baked pastries) and gourmet Vermont coffee. My wife and I would actually discuss what wonderful creations Chef Alan would offer for breakfast the next day! The Inn even has a Keurig machine for coffee or hot chocolate (available 24 hours) in the lobby. Every time we visited the living room, there was also complimentary cookies/pastries and flavored iced tea

So now that you've read this and you're thinking there is no way that this is a real review...I must be related to the owners! I will offer a few points of constructive criticism (no one is perfect!) The first floor lobby and hallways have been repainted, but the dining room and game room have not. Bob mentioned that this was on the list, but he wanted to focus on the big projects first (remember, Bob and Alan just purchased the Inn in Fall of 2013, and it had been closed for a few years). A fresh coat of paint in the lower level will certainly freshen up the look. There are no deadbolts or safety chains on the guest room doors. My concern wasn't necessarily about security, more of a privacy issue, as I always use the deadbolt when I spend time in my room (nothing like a surprise visit from a housekeeper while stepping out of the shower-which to clarify did not happen during this stay). Perhaps a simple fix would be a privacy sign to hang on the door? Lastly, morning came early at the Inn. There were quite a few early birds (6:30PM-7AM) opening doors, going down stairs, warming up cars, closing car doors, etc. We were getting up to go skiing anyway, but if you're looking for a place to sleep peacefully until noon, this might not be the place for you (at least during busy ski weekends).

Bottom line, if you're planning a trip (for couples or families) to the Mad River Valley and don't want to break the bank on lodging, you owe it to yourself to check out the White Horse Inn.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I don't typically write reviews but Bob and Alan have it going on. Warm & welcoming, comfortable and clean, out-of-their-way friendly. Even met Bob's mom. The great room makes you feel like home w/ warm fire, comfy chairs, and VT craft beer. Breakfast is out of site! Alan is a trained pastry chef all too happy to cook for you; if you leave hungry it's your fault. My son & I planned a day to ski together and needed a room, we were very lucky to discover the White Horse Inn, we'll go back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank David H
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Just spent a weekend at the White Horse Inn. Would definitely return. It felt like a visit to a friend's home. Very warm and welcomiing. The "Fireplace Room" is the most relaxing cozy place--complete with homemade cookies and fresh coffee or tea. Breakfast is unbelievable. Convenient to Sugarbush. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank J J
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Our family skis at Mt. Ellen almost every weekend through the winter. Driving back and forth an hour each way. We decided to take a "staycation" and chose the White Horse Inn this past weekend. It was a great choice! Clean rooms and great proximity to the mountain. The breakfast and omnipresent baked goods were delicious. The game room was well stocked with games, pingpong and large TV for watching movies/ sports, etc. Allen and Bob were fabulous hosts. We will definitely be heading back to the White Horse!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank hpvt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
Mad River Barn Inn, Restaurant & Pub
The Hyde Away Inn
The Hyde Away Inn
#12 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!