“A gem on Bridge Street”

Description: Rustic French and Italian
Short Hills, New Jersey
“A gem on Bridge Street”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I agree with the other reviewers that the food is wonderful and that the area is attractive, lots of little shops. And there is the covered bridge, of course.
But what I really wanted to mention is that Monday nights there is live music and last week we just could not sit quietly on our seats at the bar. Pappi, a local wonder on the strings, is just delightful

Barre, Vermont
“Well Done”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This restaurant is located in a village of Waitsfield along the scenic and picturesque Route 100 that runs along the Mad River. It is such a pleasant drive either way up or down and the village is studded with artsy shops and galleris. Just turn onto Bridge Street and there it is in front of a nice size covered bridge.

This place used to be a so-so cafe serving lunch and I"m glad it is now a nice restaurant. Inside is a cozy intimate space. The low ceiling, the burgundy color painted walls with art works (all for sale), rather heavy velvetty curtains and blinds could make this space dark and a bit stuffy, but summer evenings stay light till late hours and with good size windows that allow natural lights, it is still pleasant.

When it's full, it can be quite noisy. In fact while we were there, it got so loud that we couldn't enjoy conversation any more.

The menu is well balanced. Appetizers ranged from simple green salad, to chicken liver pate, to lentil soup, to shrimp and squid salad to tuscan meatball, to cheese plate. The entrees ranged from trout, salmon, chicken, pork, beef, and a couple of pasta dishes. The wine list had just enough variety.

They served nice crusty artisan bread.
I had a rhubarb and baby spinach salad wiht goat cheese and raisins for the starter. It was chilled just right, crisp and light, tossed in just enough dressing. Then cassoulet (French casserole stew) of white beans, pork, chicken, and vegetables. Everything was tender like melt-in-your-mouth and very rich flavor. My partner had a trout stuffed with thyme sprigs and butter served with rice and spinach. It was a whole trout with head and tail but it was deboned so it was easy to eat. It was full of flavor, very tasty.
For dessert, I had prunes with mascarpone. Enjoyable.
Price for the entrees ranged from $18 - $26. Reasonable. Portions were rather large. I could only eat 1/3 of my dish and had to take the rest home. I was observing other people's dishes and they were all big.
They have a bar area in the back and outside seating in the back of the building facing the river and the covered bridge.

• Visited August 2014
Washington Depot, Connecticut
“Simply wonderful-in all phases!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Like the card says "A simple feast"-and a feast it is. The appetizers and entrees were tasty, generous in proportion and original in flavor. THE BEST chicken marsala I have ever tasted-and I've eaten it everywhere. The staff were courteous, fun and attentive without being overbearing-just right! The chef took note of our split entrée and made the extra effort to plate and serve them separately rather than us doing it at the table. I know, it's a little thing but Chris and his crew did all the little things that differentiate a decent restaurant from an excellent one. I only wish we had spent more time in town as we would have gone right back in order to try more of the selections. Just superb and we caught them on a very busy night!! Thanks Chris!

New York City, New York
“unexpected find”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was heading home from a visit to my son at camp in Vermont , and my route home put me on bridge street in Waitsfield. I spotted the sign for Peasant restaurant and I fiqured I would give it a shot. It was quite crowded when I walked in, but was lucky enough to snag a seat at the cozy wooden bar in the back of the restaurant. I proceeded to order a drink and check out the menu, and the special board. I decided on a shrimp and calamari salad appetizer and thePenne Bolognese main course. While I was waiting for my meal I struck several conversations with some of the locals who almost all seemed were transplanted NYers. They all looked to be having a great time. My meal was delivered in no time at all and I have to tell you it was a all around excellent meal. The calamari and shrimp salad was fresh and had just the right amount of lemon and a touch of vinegar as to not overpower the seafood. The Penne was cooked to perfection and the Bolognese sauce probably one of the best I can remember. The staff was great and the local flavor was alot of fun. I will definitely be sending my son to camp in Vermont again next year

Warren, Vermont
“JUST WONDERFUL”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My first choice for an entree is the chicken Masala with beautiful tiny mushroom slices and a heart winning sauce. The beef ragout is a close runner up for the gold medal. There are exceptionally good choices for red wines, especially the Cahors, and the Burgundy Pinot Noir. All the entree sauces are divine. Sides of potatoes and the vegies sparkle with perfectly cooked flavor. Any dessert is to be selected - have one of each. The warm breads are delicious, and they are both perfectly fresh and perfectly heated. Great table service and the reservation desk held expertly by Mary is first class efficient. Ambience is pleasant and there is only a low noise level.