“Cozy and inviting”

Cuisines: European, French, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rustic French and Italian
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at The Peasant. The service was warm and friendly, the cocktails unique and delicious, and the entrees freshly prepared.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were only in the valley for 2 nights and found 2 fine restaurants to dine at one being Peasant. It was a pleasant surprise in this small yet quaint village. The restaurant is rather small, but certainly cozy and warm. Just what you would expect in a small Vermont village. The food was first rate and the service very good. I would be sure to stop at this little French inspired restaurant if you are in the area.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We came in on a Monday night and tried all of the specials. The food is great, the restaurant is cozy and the staff is very accomodating.

We came back again on a Thursday and were not disappointed. Every dish we had was very flavourful and well prepared- although they are quite large so make sure not to fill up on the warm freshly made bread (which is hard to resist).

The chef came out each night to great each table which I thought was a lovely personal touch- he even knew which wine we were drinking even though the bottle was not on our table.

For those staying in Waitesfield please note this is the only restaurant open in the area- so do make sure that you reserve.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

While we only had 2 dishes at Peasant, the level of the food seemed quite high. The bread arrived warm and delicious; home baked and full of flavor-nicely done. We had an appetizer of Vermont cheese (3 very slim little slices), which unfortunately were not identified, accompanied with a fig jam, which was excellent. The presentation of the cheeses on the plate was pretty pathetic. For entrees we both had Cassoulet; it was flavorful, hearty and a huge portion. Needless to say, we both finished our bowels, but could easily have shared one. Too full for dessert, we passed. We were seated in the area of the restaurant that contains the bar, with a flat screen TV going; we had expected something a bit more formal and relaxing, rather than having a TV in an eating space. Service was friendly and efficient. The wine list was one page and mostly contained choices from France, with wines offered both my the bottle and by the glass; prices seemed reasonable. We would return, but with the knowledge that it is a more informal space that we originally thought.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I rolled into Peasant on bank of Mad River solo recently for a quick meal at the bar. I had heard the food was good so I figured it was the right spot for a country French meal and a glass or two of wine. 4 hours later I rolled out of there.

The bar is cozy and just big enough. The ceilings are low 19th century Americana but the warmly decorated rooms transport the diner to the Luberons. Yet the dining room and the bar also evoke a Brooklyn motif with the lively and modern pieces hanging on the walls. It's an odd melange of Provence and Fort Greene that actually works. The bar is a comfortable spot, tended by a local beauty that may have trod on a NYC runway or two in her day.

I spoke for a few minutes to one couple at the bar visiting the East coast from California. They boasted that Peasant was the finest meal they had on the eastern seabord, Boston and NYC included.

Then the food comes out. I started out w an appetizer portion of the meatballs, a light but satisfying dish that hit the spot after skipping lunch. A light bibb salad followed w just a hint of fresh local ricotta. Recently, too many salads have been overwhelmed by massive amounts of cheese or fruit. This was just right.

This is all just a preamble to the most superlative entree I have had the pleasure of tasting this side of Lyons. Cassoulet stands as my darkest indulgence. Typically, heavy, filling and heartburn inducing, the cassoulet at Peasant was truly a joy. Simmered all day, according to the chef, the dish takes on a peppery taste with just enough zest. I left the restaurant with a promise to take the 6 hour drive back to Waitsfield from NYC in the near future. After all, Lyons is an 8 hour flight minimum from JFK.

2  Thank cheapsuits